Character Customization?

• Curious towards that of the customization available when creating new characters and how this will play into the isometric camera angle.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

hi @badgrocks, it's one of the stretch goal
    140 000€

manequin Enhanced Character Creation Plenty of customization options for your character's looks

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I doubt you’ll notice much of anything outside of the character select screen.

Eye color - can’t see them.
    Facial features - see above.
    Skin pigment - if you wear armor, odds are it’ll be covered.

What will make your character unique will be the visual of the gear and the combinations you choose. Outside of the abilities you select.

Outside of horns, spikes, I don’t see how adding character cosmetic selection is a good use of funds.

Overal body build (tiny, muscly, overweight, high, short,...), horn style, tail style, ear style (beast kin), skin texture (i reckon armor will be designed to leave some parts uncovered), claws/paws style, hair/fur style (MMOs usually come with an option to hide helm), big tattoos that cover an area that's not covered by armor, skins for cloaks, skins for armors, skins for weapons, perhaps even a voice type.

There could be more.

@gothix said in Character Customization?:

Overal body build (tiny, muscly, overweight, high, short,...), horn style, tail style, ear style (beast kin), skin texture (i reckon armor will be designed to leave some parts uncovered), claws/paws style, hair/fur style (MMOs usually come with an option to hide helm), big tattoos that cover an area that's not covered by armor, skins for cloaks, skins for armors, skins for weapons, perhaps even a voice type.

There could be more.

body build - depending on the differences you may never notice.
    ear style - hardly noticeable though.
    skin - covered by gear. even if there are open areas, i doubt you'd notice it while in combat.
    claws/paws - again, hardly notice it.
    tattoos - see skin

like I mentioned before. most of this will not be visible. UNLESS there's an option to hide it while in a 'safe' area. I just feel it's a wasted development at this stage in the games life.

@jetah you might need a pair of glasses mate if you have trouble noticing all that. 🙂

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

If they're gradiant fur display it would be very cool than a simple color.
    Imagine a demon with red feet/hands going to something like yellow-black corpse

@Jetah @Gothix you're answer are right, depend of what you could see or how it displayed. But the main things when you personalize a character is to be recognize on screen or to have fun to impersonate or add cosmetic to make life of your ideal char ? It's for your own benefit after all right ?

@gothix said in Character Customization?:

@jetah you might need a pair of glasses mate if you have trouble noticing all that. 🙂

when you play Path of Exile, Diablo 2/3, or any other isometric game you can notice eye color? You can recognize a nose ring in an enemy? You can recognize which eyebrows the player selected?

@Gofrit
    why spend the time and salary for something that isn't noticeable by everyone? I'd rather the 30-50k be used for something else than a nose ring, different eyebrows, multiple jaws, etc options where just the user will notice-at least for launch.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Build, skin tone, only obvious attributes would likely be visible. Might depend on how much we can zoom the camera in.

@vinnile said in Character Customization?:

Build, skin tone, only obvious attributes would likely be visible. Might depend on how much we can zoom the camera in.

build, maybe, as it'll depend on how armor works. If there are multiple layers then you can make a small person look thick.

skin tone will probably be covered by armor. unless you want Tera style armor.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

You know what else would be noticeable? Armour dyes.
    But then again, I don't think they count as character customization in this context.

So maybe civilian/default/"naked" clothes...?

EDIT: Ohh, customisation is going to play a bigger role for Beastmen, since their animal form surely is going to be naked, so their fur colour and antler types are going to be visible quite often.

@jetah said in Character Customization?:

when you play Path of Exile, Diablo 2/3, or any other isometric game you can notice eye color? You can recognize a nose ring in an enemy? You can recognize which eyebrows the player selected?

Do you even read what other people write or you just like writing nonsense responses?

Did I mention eye color, eyebrows or nose ring in my list? Nope, I did not. I mentioned various other cosmetic options you can actually notice.

@gothix
    and many of that can't be noticed.

Watch the game play video again and tell me what you can notice about the character(s) being played. I'll link the video so you don't have to search for it.

There's a reason most isometric games don't have character customization!

One except I know of is Devilian (which shutdown in the west). Here is a character creation video:

and here's a gameplay video (with character creation):

Now I'll tell you that I can't notice which face was selected by skipping the character creation during gameplay (except when they do that zoom in, which I don't expect to see in a PvP game)

Game is not only PvP. PvP is only part of it. And even for those things that are less noticeable, it is still nice to have them. They give players a sense of uniqueness about their characters. At least during PvE and RP, but in PvP too.

Games are about feeling. People play them because they enjoy them.

Watch the game play video again and tell me what you can notice about the character(s) being played. I'll link the video so you don't have to search for it.

On this zoom level I would definitely notice character body build, hair style and color (if helms were hidden), skin color and texture (when wearing armors that leave part of the body uncovered by design), custom tails (with beast kin), large body tattoo (covering larger part of body, with armors that by design leave part of body uncovered). custom ears (with beast kin, if ears are of solid size, like custom cat ears for example).

I would notice this even in PvP, without zoom. In PvE or RP (and with zoom in) I would notice a lot more.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

What Gothix said.

I don't rp, I prefer PvP over PvE and yet I HATE when I can't customize my character. My favourite game by far are all the Souls games (meaning dark souls and co) and I have spent at least 30 hours in every single one (i have over 500 hours played on each of these games) only in the character customizator. Btw. the character in those games has his back pointed to the player, always, so I never got to witness my cool customizations, but simply having put in the effort I had a deep emotional connection to the character and through that to the game.

Of course we could argue the fact wether character customization should have the priority it has, but to discredit its priority at all is just false.

• Some games have a paper doll of your character in the inventory/character screen (like Titan Quest). Other games have customizable portraits that use your character's model (Dragon Age: Origins). Both of these could make deeper customization for an isometric game relevant.

Portraits can also be used to represent the player in other ways other than in their own UI, like a directory of a city showing a portrait of the mayor or owners of other major business people in town.

Also, I just noticed that the Fractured gameplay video @Jetah linked does have a portrait of the character, which I never noticed before.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Something like BDO or Albion? those are the two extremes

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@vinnile said in Character Customization?:

build, maybe, as it'll depend on how armor works. If there are multiple layers then you can make a small person look thick.

skin tone will probably be covered by armor. unless you want Tera style armor.

I could see the Demons using that Tera style armor.
    Though despite the fact people tend to not notice customization options like skin tone or eye color, I personally, would still prefer for it to be in the game (mostly having varies head/horn structures, similar to Tera). Also, this game could surprise us with the customization, like lets say for Demons as an example, 4 arms instead of 2 =D

@zenopo
    why waste development time to change eye color when you can't even see the characters eye in game? it's literally a waste of time and funds to do it.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

because people want it.

Also I personally don't get why bdo's customizator is supposed to be so great 😕 i find it lacking compared to others

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured