Future Plans for new races and/or planets?

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@shirogu5 That sounds like fun as an event. Planetiods that come into and out of range as they move through their orbits.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@shirogu5 said in Future Plans for new races and/or planets?:

Well, what I think would be really cool is that there would be a monthly theme for a new planet that you can travel to which you can only visit for that month. Every month or few months you have a new planet which where you can for example find unique things (maybe just cosmetic) for that time period. I think that would make a nice achievement system aswell.

we have asteroids which will have procedurally generated terrain.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I'm not sure what value a fourth planet would bring, as it feels like they've got the different groups in the playerbases covered already with PvE, PvP and mixed.

@kairosval
    new content, new exploration, new skills, new gear, new race, new cosmetics. Lots of new things actually.

I had a suggestion for a new planet with new different type of rule set here in this thread.

To not write the same thing again, I'll just link a thread:
    https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/3770/expansion-ideas

• A problem with adding new planets, especially ones that can be lived on, is that it decreases activity on the existing planets. IMO it's something that should only be done if the size of the playerbase can support it.

@target
    who said the planet has to be permanent? it could exist then be blown up!!!!

@jetah said in Future Plans for new races and/or planets?:

@target
    who said the planet has to be permanent? it could exist then be blown up!!!!

RIP housing. 🙂

it could exist then be blown up!!!!

Yeah, in fact, at the beginning of the time, it was one planet, something happens and the core exploded and 3 fractured planets come in life... so a fractured element could become again fractured !

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@kairosval
    new content, new exploration, new skills, new gear, new race, new cosmetics. Lots of new things actually.

All of that can be accomplished without a fourth world, using the existing three worlds and asteroids.

The point of the worlds are the different rulesets. I don't see that there's a need for a fourth ruleset, I think the base three worlds have all the options covered.

@kairosval
    I’d find it difficult to believe an asteroid could provide new races for each existing planet.

A planet could give us new skills, professions, animals for husbary, but most importantly new races.

Maybe the planet isn’t blown up but the portal or other travel method stops working.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@kairosval
    I’d find it difficult to believe an asteroid could provide new races for each existing planet.

A planet could give us new skills, professions, animals for husbary, but most importantly new races.

Maybe the planet isn’t blown up but the portal or other travel method stops working.

We can have new skills, professions, animals and races on the existing planets though. The world maps are big squares. Just make them bigger or add more squares with travel points between them. Done.

Suppose they go ahead with adding new worlds and races. Suppose that DS decided to add elves. Which would be a terrible idea, way to cliche for a game as creative as Fractured is so far, but let's just go with it for the sake of argument.

DS decide to add three kinds of elves: Wild elves are PvE elves, all warm and fuzzy and in love with nature. High elves are magic-using with free will. And dark elves are evil murdering bastards.

So lets say we add three new worlds for the elves. The Wild Elf homeworld follows the same ruleset as Arboreus, the High Elf homeworld follows the same ruleset as Syndesia, and the Dark Elf homeworld follows the same ruleset as Tartaros.

So the thing is... In what meaningful sense are these new planets actually new planets if they follow the same rulesets?

The only thing I can think of that would make these new planets unique would be if they had new gods, and the new gods change the way the game is played on those worlds. So the drider-goddess of the Dark Elves could have a different way of dealing with interlopers than Babilis, and maybe the High Elf homeworld allows for the magical abilities of Demons and Angels that can visit indefinitely there - but human technology doesn't work, because High Elves are magic. Or the Wild Elf homeworld is particularly welcoming to Humans that undergo a transformation into a more primal state - sort of like the Lich transformation, but instead it's in the direction of rejecting the use of human technology in exchange for a more magical focus, things like that.

Hmm... That could be fun, actually. The general rulesets stay the same, but the subtler lore-specific mechanics that go along with those rulesets can be different on the different planets...

I think I've just convinced myself that there is a potential role for new planets to be meaningfully and mechanically distinct - even under the existing three-way split of PvE, hybrid and PvP - in a way that wouldn't just mechanically function as an extension to an existing planets.

I withdraw my objection. 😆

The key thing here is that a new world would need to be more than just new content operating under the same mechanics. It would also need to involve new mechanics and interactions that aren't currently covered by the existing worlds... Because if they don't have that, they'd just be indistinguishable from an extension to an existing planet, and that would be kind of pointless and boring.

@kairosval
    maybe the elves came from one planet. maybe that planet is on the verge of extension because of the war between the 3 elves.

I'm seeing new planets as a means to introduce new races without the need for spaceships. otherwise it seem pretty odd that a new race is available.

• will there be hobbits?

What i don't understand is :

• why you want new races... We never played one yet...
    • why you want new planet... We never walked on yet...

In any case a new continent, a sub-terrain, will be sufficient to add some races (mushroom, plants, animal derived like turtle-man, corned wild guys, cyclope...).
    All you need is a good backstory to bring them, not so hard... let DS launch the full game before all that 😄

@gofrit said in Future Plans for new races and/or planets?:

What i don't understand is :

• why you want new races... We never played one yet...
    • why you want new planet... We never walked on yet...

We don't want those now.

We want Fractured to have some long term plans about future content updates, so it doesn't just die out. Those new planets and races are some of possible nice big content updates.

• @jetah said in Future Plans for new races and/or planets?:

I'm seeing new planets as a means to introduce new races without the need for spaceships.

I don't think a lore reason is necessary for new stuff to be added to existing planets. It's nice, but I'd rather they just add things that will make the game better without having to contrive massive game altering narratives if they don't have the resources for it. If one day there's just more land with more stuff to explore attached to the existing areas without much explanation as to how it got there, I'm fine with that.

Also, hollow planets.

@target
    Developers introduce new races so people have choices. If there are race changes then it’s an revenue option. We don’t want the game to be 10 years old with the same races since day one.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured