Cross-gender playing

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I find some of the explanations as to why some people here play the opposite gender to be confusing to me. I just go with what works for that character. I can't bring myself to be connecting sexual reasons to it. Not my bag. To each their own of course. I know a lot of games out there make money by appealing to that very audience (look at the old tomb raider games for an oldschool example. It's always been like that).

If anything I find myself playing female characters simply because I feel like more work is often put into them. Whereas the male ones look awkward or take up too much screen space by comparison.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Atually I hope the game has both gender options for it, Yes I cross play, and games that have "Gender Locks" I tend to avoid playing them all together, even The Witcher series due to gender lock I declined to purchase or play.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Depends. I'll probably create a few characters of either gender, then I just play the one I like best more. If a game only has one option, I tend to pick my own gender, probably just cause it's easier.

• Community Manager

Moving this to off-topic because it's not really a discussion about Fractured.

@kralith said in Cross-gender playing:

@nightcoder indeed, if you don‘t talk in your native language, it is more complicated to target them.
    But it starts with the chosen cloths, goes over used smiles/emotes, till the small things in spoken thoughts.
    Mostly it is the combination of many small things, that is used to unhide a man behind a female character.
    Some are very obvisious, some just a gut feeling.

Or you could ask them. Most players will answer you the truth. 😄

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I cross-play often it depends on how I'm feeling at the time. As for the gender of the person behind their character I never really think about it as its easier to just refer to the character.

Semi related note the option of being able to cross dress your character is something I'd like to see implemented into a game at some point.

• @gothix said in Cross-gender playing:

Playing same gender and then taking off your characters clothes, putting on another clothes etc. is gay.

And I'm straight. It's why I play opposite gender. Better viewing experience. 🙂

AHhah
    Dress your male char is gay, that was funny

I always play as my own gender (male), however I have been frequently surprised by cross gender players. sometimes even after years of adventuring together I had no I idea that their avatar didn't represent their IRL gender.

• Wiki Editor

@gothix said in Cross-gender playing:

@Kralith so like for example running around yelling oh my boobs are so large, touch them, touch them! 😁

How you can imagine thats not a woman in real? 😁 🤣

• Wiki Editor

I think for the most player it not really matter if the character is male, female or just an it, as long they just play PVE/PVP. But some try to play their roles, playing around with the gender they chosed.
    I heard in the past from several males, that they play female like, because then „they get more attention/stuff/help“ as long the other don‘t figured out, they are not a real woman.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I switch around. I'm playing a character, it doesn't have to be a representation of me. Usually my first character is male, which is usually a pretty generic character until I get to know the game better.
    I think female characters are usually more fun to look at.

I definitely don't expect an other player to be the same gender outside of the game.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@whoatethecat said in Cross-gender playing:

I always play as my gender. But I know a lot of males select female avatars.

G.I.R.L. > Guy In Real Life

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@00 It is amazing that you and gothix seem to go so far. I guess whatever floats your boat...

Not like the rest of us strip down the same-gender avatar to undies to admire it before we toss on other gear, but apparently some people can't resist. Sorry that it is so hard for you guys!

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I am a female player, and I have a really difficult time playing a male in an MMORPG type of online game and still being able to enjoy myself.

I've tried it a few times - although usually more out of what I felt was a necessity at the time than much else, or in games that were gender locked.

My few times cross-gender playing for a bit more of some extended times in online games was mostly when I was younger. It was when I was playing certain games and wanted to be left alone in situations where I wasn't being left alone, or to hide from certain people. I was too shy and timid and worried about over politeness to really just tell them off like I should have at the time.

I have never got enjoyment out of it, however. I have tried, but it's our "avatar" - it's us, it is the person whose life we are living and creating. If it's the specific story of a specific person, that's different. I'm good playing whatever that person or thing may be in that instance. But not in multiplayer online games especially where it's my representation.

I dislike cross-gender playing so much that in gender locked games I will skip playing a class I'd much rather be if they only have male versions of them. While it's a bit hard to explain, It just feels funny and wrong to me to play males in online games that I'm making my own story. I mean it just doesn't feel natural or fun to me at all.

So yeah, it basically kills my fun playing cross-gender in online games. I will give it a try every once and a while when in certain gender locked situations, but it always gives me that same feeling where I'm not really enjoying myself.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I honestly don’t think it matters people can do what they want but I play guys because I think guys are hot and I feel like it’s the same reason for other people who choose the gender they find appealing aswell

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@brocki I'm kinda the same. Even in tabletop RPGs, I kinda let the characters create themselves.

I just play what looks better. So usually play female character on light armor classes, and male characters of heavy armor classes. For medium armor it just depends on looks and what kind of class I play.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Wonder how long can one cross-play without doing something obvious that gives him/her away as a cross-player.

@mewmew said in Cross-gender playing:

I am a female player, and I have a really difficult time playing a male in an MMORPG type of online game and still being able to enjoy myself.

My few times cross-gender playing for a bit more of some extended times in online games was mostly when I was younger. It was when I was playing certain games and wanted to be left alone in situations where I wasn't being left alone, or to hide from certain people. I was too shy and timid and worried about over politeness to really just tell them off like I should have at the time.

And that is a major problem with online games. Gamers are sexist to an unacceptable degree.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I usually have a male "main" but play both, because the female characters are more aesthetically pleasing (not only because I am a straight guy, but also because often the female armies etc are more detailed and nicer to look at).

@Kralith actually one of the times I was playing a female character, a guy tried hitting on me after a PvP game...so either I am very good at cross-playing or he was really desperate;)

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured