In Game Memorial for Players that Die as a Suggestion

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I would like to suggest that the team come up with some way to honour our dead, be it a memorial section of a town roster, or better yet, a cemetery in a local churchyard where we can inter our dead and put up a monument.

In another game I play, one of our very prominent players passed away this week. His home is enshrined by the game as a memorial to the player forever.

Players are able to conduct a memorial service of sorts, all gathering at the shrine together and we can change our names to messages of condolence to support each other in our mourning.

I would think that having some kind of funeral garb to wear when a player dies in real life, might be something that would appeal to some here as well, whether they choose to wear it permanently or not, an armband or such for a time of mourning would be welcome for many.

Having a permanent place in town though, either their home becomes memorialised or you can put a monument to them in a graveyard, or in the case of a very prominent citizen, a statue in town if they were important enough in that town would be a very nice thing to consider as a service to players who have lost a real life friend.

RIP Keith, sad I won't get to play this one with you, was looking forward to it.

At the very least, making funeral garbs available in the cash shop should be simple enough. It'd probably be for the best if they gave large debuffs to max health or something, to stop people from using them casually as cool-looking black robes. Wearing funeral robes for combat seems disrespectful, anyway.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't put up anything permanent and huge... there are all kind of (not normal) people, some might even commit suicide just to have huge permanent monument in game... or at least fake their deaths, to get a monument. And who could prove (or bother to check institutions around the world for all the players) if they really died or not?

Ability to do a ceremony, sure, that sounds reasonable. Perhaps name written in a book of dead in a church, when some players go to the archives and reads the book, he can see the list.

But nothing that permanently occupies a space in a game world.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I think it will be hard to implement on Tartaros, too many deaths in one day, cemetary will be crowded ^^

I do think it would be nice to be able to do this on your own plot of land.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@esoba Agreed. A pretty cool idea.

@esher

Not in-game deaths. Real life deaths.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@nelchael Oh, I misread it >< Strange idea for me, but why not ?

only if the person is of real community value.

Otherwise a headstone could be sold in the Store, the text is approved by game masters, and place in town or on the a person's plot of land.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

And build a house on it, and it will be haunted by the spirit.

@jetah I'd think it would be up to their fellow gamers to implement it, and if they thought the person worthy of it, then that should be enough.

Many of us rarely meet each other in real life. We might exchange gifts and cards and such with each other in the real world, but unless you're lucky enough to be near each other, often times you never meet other than in game.

Doesn't hurt to lose them any less, some of my favourite people are people I "met" online. Haven't had the luck to meet too many in person, but think highly of them.

@greenfire said in In Game Memorial for Players that Die as a Suggestion:

@jetah I'd think it would be up to their fellow gamers to implement it, and if they thought the person worthy of it, then that should be enough.

Many of us rarely meet each other in real life. We might exchange gifts and cards and such with each other in the real world, but unless you're lucky enough to be near each other, often times you never meet other than in game.

Doesn't hurt to lose them any less, some of my favourite people are people I "met" online. Haven't had the luck to meet too many in person, but think highly of them.

I've known of one person that passed. We played Eve Online and was a great pvper. He was respected through the whole community as a great pvper too and when he passed he was honored in the game. I didn't play the game for 2 years after his passing because it hit me hard. Especially reading emails he sent. I could see his english improve over the 5+ years he was in the guild.

But that means nothing to many people who joined Eve Online afterwards. They'll just see a corpse or statue in the in space. When the game ends and the servers are shut down, no one will remember.

Perhaps it could be a vote in the respected zone and then a whole community (whoever has housing in the said zone) would be able to vote if they want a particular player to have a headstone on a city cemetery or not.

Sandbox / democracy.

There could also be a vote to remove the headstones (cemetery) later on if community no longer wants them (re purposing of the land).

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I don't think this will require a specific system, merely a creative implementation of existing ones.

I'm sure that server staff have the ability to "lock" certain game areas to prevent player building, which would allow them to set up memorials for any desired occasion. Gravestones are likely already an asset in generic graveyards (the kind where you fight skeletons and stuff) and can easily be repurposed.

And of course, players themselves are free to build memorials the same as anything else, it's just in that case they will be subject to raids and deterioration like any other construct.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Problem is that usually people just disappear and you don't know if they just dropped the game or if something happened to them.

Making the addition of a headstone, or a statue in a town something that will require players to put effort into, will ensure that players do only put that effort into it for people who they lost and want to honour. Given that there are already plans to have statues honouring players in the kickstarter rewards, adding in the ability to have other statues for prominent players, something that could be collected for in a given town say, or even naming a park in a town after them, or a street after them, all the things we'd do in real life for prominent players.

No, you don't always know why someone disappears, but you would know for those who you were close enough to, to want to do something for in their deaths anyway. I wouldn't want people naming parks or streets in town after people who just disappeared, but if they know for sure, say an obituary or something, that the player has died, having anything you can do in game where you can't really do in real life, just makes sense to games of this nature where community is part of the fun.

With my friend who died recently, we've had this kinda surreal cross over with real life/gaming life with his friends and family, who didn't know the side of him we did. We talked to this man every day, many hours of the day, much much more than his "real" friends and his "actual" family. There's limited things in our game we can do, but we ended up taking screenshots of our "ingame memorial" for his family and sending it to them along with our condolence wall, and they in turn, sent us his memorial video to share with people.

@greenfire
    I think statues and gravestones would be a great way to remember people. the game could offer a few basic designs for free but offer some nicely designed ones for dynamight gold.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@gothix I actually like your book idea. Not necessarily crazy, but would be neat and would make it feel more alive.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Do people keep ruining the graves and tombs of your heroes? Hire Glims Mercenaries to keep those vandals out!

• @jetah Video games monetizing irl deaths is heading into some unethical territory.

I'd prefer if there were no specific system in place just for these features. Instead, there should be enough freedom within the already existing features for players to set up their own memorials if they choose — naming cities/streets/buildings, plaques, enough customization in city building to make graveyards and memorials, etc.

Keep in mind that player settlements are not permanent. Buildings decay and can be destroyed, cities can be conquered, and when city ownership changes the new owners will most likely get to rezone the city. Making a memorial would carry the risk of it being destroyed.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured