Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I too hope the survival aspects are either 'stressed on' or not even there at all. Not many games managed to get survival 'right' and feel natural. I have no problem if an adventurer can 'buy' his stuff through most of the survival part of the game via trading with other players... but if the survival part is only "eat some kind of meat and drink a glass of water every know and then" I don't need such a system at all.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Can't say I'm hooked on the project yet, but the universe you guys have come up with in interesting, makes me curious.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I kinda like the idea of the needing to eat and drink though. If say each race has its own sustenance that is more effective for it, then it would be a limiter on how long they could stay on another planet unless they stockpiled a lot at a base on the other planets.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

As I've mentioned in an other thread, my main concern is too much micromanagement. Survival elements like hunger & thirst, climate etc can be fun as long as they don't take up too much gametime. If I have to spend 1 hour preparing for 30 minutes of gameplay, that's going to get boring quickly. In order for a survival system to work, it needs depth. It needs to be more than filling hunger and thirst bars. For example, certain healthy foods could provide certain benefits while eating certain unhealthy foods could result in drawbacks. A robust cooking system is a necessity to make survival fun.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@logain except when you need to "feed" your character once every 20 minutes, and then you find out a boss battle is 20 minutes long. Wow, eating during battle certainly would be fun. Clicking bread 20 times a day spending 30 seconds per meal. Nice.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@chrightt said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

(...)when you need to "feed" your character once every 20 minutes(...)

A day is roughly 2 RL hours. If they have boss battles taking more than 4 RL hours... then gosh, that's both going to be epic AND a bugger for many a people to attend. You should be easily capable of staying alive for 2+ days without food or water. So, that's hardly an issue.
    Now I don't think they ever said you'd have to manually eat and drink, just that you have to ensure your character has access to both (your character could likely feed itself just fine, as long as what it needs is at hand).
    The added benefit to the game is that you have to plan, like you would with a battle (e.g. don't go and be a fire-based mage trying to battle knee deep in flowing water, you now don't want to wear heavy plate armor on a rowing boat and you might want to get a bit of water stockpiled before you attempt to cross a desert). And if something occurs that spoils your plan, you are ~challenged~ with the task of dealing with the new situation.
    I could lure you into a hot and dry area while you're trailing me because I dared to send an arrow at your friend, I could sneak at you and steal your food at night, while you're trying to walk around on the demon planet,... there's suddenly plenty more opportunity for strategic gameplay.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I doubt that we'll have to feed ourselves as much as in real life. That would be crazy with the ingame days lasting 2 hours. An auto eating/drinking system sounds pretty boring to me, because then you'll just run around with a big stack of consumables that you stock up on once in a while.

@vengu said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

(...) you'll just run around with a big stack of consumables that you stock up on once in a while.

Only if we have a completely unrealistic, lame 'bag of unlimited holding', like in so many other a dime a dozen wanna-be MMORGPs.

• DymStudios - CEO

@casgadom said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

Btw... @Specter : Are the typos in the economy section of the info homepage already known? (Just found it by accident) - HUNTERS AND SCAVANGERS (correct: scavengers) ... FARMERS AND SHEPERDS (correct: shepherds)

They were not, surprisingly! Fixed, thank you!

@chrightt said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

2 hours for a day seems kind of short.... so you have one hour of real life time being day time and one hour of real life time being night time. Unless events are quite short..... one hour easily passes irl. Also, I hope the survival mechanics are not too stressed on. Sure, it is fine to have energy, food, rest etc, but most of the time (from my personal experience) when this portion of the game is stressed upon on a MMORPG it usually leads to a pain for the players without much benefit. Yeah, sure it does make things "a bit more realistic", but when the mechanic doesn't affect gameplay to a certain degree, then it is a waste of the player's time.

As I've mentioned in an other thread, my main concern is too much micromanagement. Survival elements like hunger & thirst, climate etc can be fun as long as they don't take up too much gametime. If I have to spend 1 hour preparing for 30 minutes of gameplay, that's going to get boring quickly.

Events related to a specific time of the day will generally be quite short, yes. As for survival mechanics, don't worry - we've stated a few times they're not extreme like proper survival games or MMOs like Haven & Hearth, they're just there to make exploration more exciting and requiring some planning, particularly when venturing into other planets as @teeboned pointed out :slight_smile:

@logain said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

The added benefit to the game is that you have to plan, like you would with a battle (e.g. don't go and be a fire-based mage trying to battle knee deep in flowing water, you now don't want to wear heavy plate armor on a rowing boat and you might want to get a bit of water stockpiled before you attempt to cross a desert). And if something occurs that spoils your plan, you are ~challenged~ with the task of dealing with the new situation.
    I could lure you into a hot and dry area while you're trailing me because I dared to send an arrow at your friend, I could sneak at you and steal your food at night, while you're trying to walk around on the demon planet,... there's suddenly plenty more opportunity for strategic gameplay.

Couldn't have explained it better myself, you've truly grasped the spirit of survival mechanics in Fractured, which are not at all about "grinding" but about being smart! 🙂

@logain said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

Only if we have a completely unrealistic, lame 'bag of unlimited holding', like in so many other a dime a dozen wanna-be MMORGPs.

You don't indeed, inventory in Fractured is close to that of ARPGs like Diablo or Path of Exile, thus not only limited by the weight of items, but also by physical space. That's why carts, pack animals and so on are needed, particularly when you want to be a merchant or... a carpenter 😉

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

This post is full of awesome clarifications. Trying to get a few friends on board with this but they are being hard to sway with what there is available at the moment.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@teeboned said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

This post is full of awesome clarifications. Trying to get a few friends on board with this but they are being hard to sway with what there is available at the moment.

Yeah, it's hard to get people on board right now. We'll just have to wait for more information to be revealed. Once the devs start talking about stuff like the knowledge system, I think we're going to see a lot more activity.. Hopefully. 😛

@Prometheus, thanks for the answers. 😄 Good to know survival isn't going to eat up all our gametime.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Prometheus Thanks for the answers! Eager to see how the survival system will be in the end.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@teeboned said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

Yeah, it's hard to get people on board right now. We'll just have to wait for more information to be revealed. Once the devs start talking about stuff like the knowledge system, I think we're going to see a lot more activity.. Hopefully. 😛

@Prometheus, thanks for the answers. 😄 Good to know survival isn't going to eat up all our gametime.

oh, I'm so eager to hear more about this knowledge system. I love wierd/unconventional builds, can't wait to theory-craft in whatever system devs are gonna come up with ^_^

I need to know more about this game xd

@jonzeramb said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

So say we all!

@Prometheus can you tease us on when the next piece/feature is coming out?? 😄

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@holyavengerone said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

@jonzeramb said in Feature Spotlight #2 - Universe, Planets and Travels:

So say we all!

@Prometheus can you tease us on when the next piece/feature is coming out?? 😄

He mentioned somewhere they're gonna be more active in September and on, but yeah, a tease would be nice.

• DymStudios - CEO

@holyavengerone @Fyrsey there's an update scheduled for next week which we think many of you will enjoy a lot, but it's not a Feature Spotlight 😉 That one will come the week after if all goes well!

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

up up nice news

• Gostei desses Eclipses, se o mundo dos humanos vai ficar um caos por causa da influência demoníaca é aí que guild vai aproveitar para atacar! PvP vai ser foda d+ 😬 corre que é treta!

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Can you cover the price of the game when it comes out?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured