I want to get excited but...

• Wiki Editor

I just found this game today and read all the News/Announcements, Development Updates, and several pages of the other discussion forums.

What concerns me is there seems to be a rift between what the game wants to be and what the players want it to be; namely the PvE vs PvP aspect.

There is this universe of planets with 3 distinct races. It seems most people playing Humans or Beastmen (specifically) don't want to deal with PvP and the Demons should just stick to killing each other. So basically we end up with what every other MMO has except we call the segregation planets instead of servers (yawn).

When I first read the proposition of this game, I was like... WOW, a thriving universe where these Demons are a threat (maybe not persistent due to the disadvantages), but something Humans and Beastmen can not, and should not, ignore. Sure, Demons fight among themselves as is their nature, but when properly motivated could be a devastating war band across other planets.

Disadvantages aside; I guarantee Demons will find a way to invade Human and Beastmen territories - it's their nature. What happens in most of these MMOs is the people who want no part of PvP start complaining; devs listen and lessen the PvP aspect and now we just have another WoW or PoE (which I love btw). It's already been done... many times. What makes this game different? Will the true PVE'ers just give up and leave because they don't want Demons invading? Will the PVP'ers give up because killing each other gets boring?

The problem is most people are risk averse; even those who PvP, which is why most people try to stack the deck in their favor (low-level ganking, traveling in large groups, etc). How will this game combat that? Will Demons be able to "raid" Humans and Beastmen (even at a disadvantage?). If not, then really how is this game any different than others?

The Knowledge concept is cool, but really not much different than gaining experience for doing basically the same tasks. What I've seen so far, the concept of strife, true struggle and war, between races is what makes the game somewhat unique. It's been glossed over in other games (Dark Elves in EQ for instance), but never really a core concept that I'm aware of since I haven't played every single MMO in existence.

And if you got this far, I want to say I'm not a PvP'er really. But the possibility that a group of Demons could invade while I'm out doing whatever (hell, or even other Humans) might make me pay a bit more attention to what's going on rather than mindlessly wandering around. The concept that there may be Human spies for Demon factions, or even Beastmen spies in extreme situations. Or Demon "traitors" that help Humans and Beastmen. Now that interest me.

• I really like this post. The concept of having an actual villainous race is one of the things that drew me in too.

The problem is most people are risk averse ... How will this game combat that?

A big benefit of the lack of a gear treadmill is that dying won't be as harsh. I'm hoping people won't be as turned off when they realize they can easily replace their lost gear.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I've read all the articles and for now I really like what I see.

System looks new and refreshing. Something I haven't seen yet, and looks really nicely thought off. Could work very well and be fun to play.

I just hope "sensitive parts of PvE-ers" will not complain too much (as in every other MMO out there) and drive devs to nerf the game PvP wise, and make "just another PvE MMO out there".

I have hope.

@kellewic

every 2 or so hours and eclipse will happen where the humans and demons can wage war without any negatives. during some event, evil humans and demons can invade the beast planet. We demons team up to raid the beast planet, yes, yes we will.

demons and humans can invade each other with the disadvantages, as mentioned in the spotlight (which I assume you didn't read or forgot). i believe demons will have to invade humans planet pretty often for their resources, mainly food and water.

i've only played games where you talked to a npc and learned a skill. i've never had to venture into the world to learn skills or abilities. this to me is a new concept.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kellewic said in I want to get excited but...:

Will the true PVE'ers just give up and leave because they don't want Demons invading? Will the PVP'ers give up because killing each other gets boring?

I talked about that many times and I said the same. I'm pretty sure that it's going to happen I have never seen a game with PvPers and PvErs happy. I'm mostly PvEr or PvPer (instanced like arena or battlegrounds). If they will balance enough could be playable. It's up to us give the right feedback. Arberous invesions should be really hard to make carebears happy. Debuff on Arboreus shuld be really strong to make Carebears kill evli people easly. Carebears rarely will move out their planet so they need to make Arbores end game and somekind of safe at the same time to bring balance between PvPers and PvErs.

• Wiki Editor

@jetah
    I didn't see, nor could I find, the "every 2 or so hours" reference regarding eclipses; only that eclipses will happen. Can you point me to that if you have it handy? Was it in a thread somewhere?

I did read all the spotlights and about the eclipses, but didn't see any other information on how often those happen or if given enough time and resources can races open their own portals to the other worlds, which I think would be cool but should definitely not be easy.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah said in I want to get excited but...:

every 2 or so hours and eclipse will happen where the humans and demons can wage war without any negatives. during some event, evil humans and demons can invade the beast planet. We demons team up to raid the beast planet, yes, yes we will.

Eclipse will happen only on Syndesia not on Arboreus ;). You will be perma debuffed on Arboreus for a limited time (30 mins)

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I didn't see, nor could I find, the "every 2 or so hours" reference regarding eclipses; only that eclipses will happen. Can you point me to that if you have it handy? Was it in a thread somewhere?

quote FEATURE SPOTLIGHT #2 – UNIVERSE, PLANETS AND TRAVELS

Entirely different is the fate of Syndesia when the planet is obscured by Tartaros. The event, which lasts for several real-time hours, sees the human world plagued by the demonic aura of Tartaros and the desire of Babilis and its progeny to taste human blood. Thanks to the aura, demons don’t suffer the usual penalties when walking the grounds of Syndesia, retaining all the powers they have on Tartaros, and being able to haunt humans until the eclipse is over.

During the unnatural dark times, several Stargates are spawned on the two planets, allowing demons to effortlessly invade Syndesia. Such portals can be closed, but it’s an incredibly strenuous task for even the largest human armies, since the locations are infested not only by demon players, but also by AI-controlled demonic spawns

• Wiki Editor

@finland

Yes, I've read the many threads and pages about PvE vs. PvP and it's definitely not only a heated topic but also a hard problem to tackle.

I really like the idea of the potential struggle between races/alignments. I agree with some statements made by @Phaethonas in another thread I read this morning as well - https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/1481/feature-spotlight-6-pvp-alignment-crime/52 - regarding Demons seeing this huge disadvantage as a challenge and alliances being created. But, this is only half the story in my opinion. If such an alliance did form, I could see one being formed on the Good side as well - this could create a very interesting inter-planetary struggle for resources. There could be a black market trade where evil Humans go between Demons/Beastmen through Neutral merchants to get wares from and to the Demon planet.

Some cool possibilities.

• Wiki Editor

@finland

That says when the eclipse does happen, it lasts for several hours. Not that eclipses happen every 2 hours. I'm curious, how often will they happen or is this unknown so far?

I'm still making my way through about 11 months of information πŸ™‚

• Community Manager

@kellewic Nothing has been revealed yet about the time between eclipses as far as I'm aware.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kellewic I really hope that Eclipse will not occur more than once every day XD.

I could see one being formed on the Good side as well.

That's what I'm gonna do with the guild (that what we did on Albion Online daily roams to kill pkers that were harassing carebears in yellowe and red zone), except for the siege wars. But you have to consider that not all like to PvP if I took the part of carebears it's just because none talks for them.What I like of the mmo is meet lot's fo players around while traveling region by region or when i sit in a city. Making carebears (the biggest part of every communty) flee is what make the differe to make a game popular (EVE it's an exception). But at the same time I would like to avoid to be forced to do PvP only cause sometime relaxed things are needed (aka PvE).

@finland there are people across the globe and to limit eclipse to once a day will piss people off. It has to be multiple times that adjust over a week so everyone has chance as joining in.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah I don't think so if the eclipse event will occur not always at the same time. Some days could happen in the morning, some others in the afternoon, some in the evening and others during the night. If you want give it daily to everyone it's a fail cause the event should be up nearly always to allow everyone to partecipate daily.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

People are so soft these days, just PvP and enjoy the adrenaline in your body when you being chased by a group trying to survive and not dropping your loot
    or just kill people and ez loot + profit..

Just enjoy the game don't think too much about it.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

There is this universe of planets with 3 distinct races. It seems most people playing Humans or Beastmen (specifically) don't want to deal with PvP and the Demons should just stick to killing each other. So basically we end up with what every other MMO has except we call the segregation planets instead of servers (yawn).

Wrong.

Characters on different servers are completely unable to play with one another, except for extremely limited cross-server events which tend to be chaotic mass guild wars or world bosses.

In Fractured, Arboreus is a strictly Good (PvE) planet, Tartaros is a strictly Evil (PvP) planet, and Syndesia is the meeting grounds for both of them. Players will be perfectly free to go to any of the three planets they desire, although Good-aligned players are harshly limited on Tartaros and Evil-aligned players are harshly limited on Arboreus.

When I first read the proposition of this game, I was like... WOW, a thriving universe where these Demons are a threat (maybe not persistent due to the disadvantages), but something Humans and Beastmen can not, and should not, ignore. Sure, Demons fight among themselves as is their nature, but when properly motivated could be a devastating war band across other planets.

On Syndesia, they can absolutely do this.

On Arboreus, however, no.

Disadvantages aside; I guarantee Demons will find a way to invade Human and Beastmen territories - it's their nature.

They won't be able to invade Beastman territories because Evil-aligned characters (of any race) are completely unable to enter the bulk of Arboreus. The few areas they will be able to enter will see them effectively burned away by the planet itself.

What happens in most of these MMOs is the people who want no part of PvP start complaining

despite having an entire planet to themselves, I fully agree that they will, just as the cowardly PK scrubs will whine they can't PK on all three planets

devs listen and lessen the PvP aspect and now we just have another WoW or PoE (which I love btw).

Path of Exile is a closer game to Fractured than WoW by far, but only in the very basic gameplay. It's like comparing Super Mario 3D World to Super Mario Odyssey.

Will the true PVE'ers just give up and leave because they don't want Demons invading?

Not likely, considering that demons can't invade the PvE planet.

The problem is most people are risk averse; even those who PvP, which is why most people try to stack the deck in their favor (low-level ganking, traveling in large groups, etc). How will this game combat that? Will Demons be able to "raid" Humans and Beastmen (even at a disadvantage?). If not, then really how is this game any different than others?

You should probably read the Spotlights.

The Knowledge concept is cool, but really not much different than gaining experience for doing basically the same tasks.

The Knowledge system is based on achievements, not experience points.

[...] the possibility that a group of Demons could invade while I'm out doing whatever (hell, or even other Humans) might make me pay a bit more attention to what's going on rather than mindlessly wandering around. The concept that there may be Human spies for Demon factions, or even Beastmen spies in extreme situations. Or Demon "traitors" that help Humans and Beastmen. Now that interest me.

Absolutely players of any race will be able to "screencheat" and pass information outside of the game to other players, but I doubt this will have a profound effect compared to any other MMO as it simply isn't an efficient practice. Any gang that was devoted enough to do that regularly would rather just have two powerful killers instead of one powerful killer and an otherwise-useless spotter.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@wyze not everyone care to PvP πŸ˜‰ you have to think to both sides.

@finland said in I want to get excited but...:

@wyze not everyone care to PvP πŸ˜‰ you have to think to both sides.

Not everyone wants to PvE also. πŸ˜‰

It's why game should be a mix, but system has to be made in such way so it incentivizes both PvE and PvP, but not punish either.

Sadly many devs now days, just implement PvE in classic way but then punish PvP with various punishment mechanics, and then call it PvX.

It is not easy to incentivize both PvE and PvP, without punishing either. But I think Fractured might be on the right way.

• you need to PvE to level up your professions and broaden your knowledge of skills (professions help with currency gain, and making gear and consumables)
    • you are incentivized to travel and explore, because not every planet will have all resources, also for knowledge
    • you are incentivized to PvP for resources, as you are not allowed to stay on other planets and just grind safely and infinitely
    • you will also need economy (which can be a way around PvP, to get resources, for those that do not want to PvP "too much", so they will be able to offset a part of PvP time with economy, while still not being immune to PvP thats happening around them)

A really good system I think, as long as it stays this way.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix I have never said to remove PvP but you must give non-PvP end game for those who dislike it πŸ˜‰

I'm all up for having dungeons and raids (and other stuff). πŸ™‚ I love both PvP and PvE.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured