No Hunger & Rest Depletion In Towns.

• Content Creator

How do you guys feel about "pausing" Satiety(hunger) & rest depletion when you are in a town so players could safely AFK without having to log out of the game?

Just curious what the communities feelings are on this.

Yes, but with a clause.

Only in the starter towns if you are not a citizien (for the new players).

Only in your city for the citiziens (because we are actually feeding them already!).

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I would say, possibly yes, but depending on towns infrastructure.

Town should have some infractucture developed and available, for this to apply to it's citizens. For example, a tavern of certain level/quality, and/or some other structures built, that can be connected with food refinement, agriculture or something.

IF town is developed enough, and feautures all the prerequisites, then yes, my opinion is that such town could feature a "satiety freeze" function, for its registered citizens.

What about visitors you ask? Yes, but only for those visitors that have rented a room in the tavern / city motel. And not for everyone that simply physically enters the city. In this way city can have some revenue back from investing in those structures and features (structures that shouldn't come cheap and easy to be built).

TLDR: yes, if a city has all required infrastructure built, this could be available for it's citizens and for those visitors that have a room rented within a city.

• Personally I say no, hunger should remain the same.

Hunger at present doesn't seem hard to replenish, and it helps the food economy (which encourages trading). A lot of people spend vast amounts of time in towns trading and messing around, so it makes sense that hunger still has a function within towns.

That said, a fair compromise would be if a player hasn't moved or had interaction for say....20mins, they get an AFK status that slows hunger down by...50% or similar.

I voted no bc logging out when you go afk for any real length of time isn't that bloody hard, but @spoletta & @Kazzier have made good suggestions re adaptations I would support. @Gothix's idea makes sense but seems complicated to implement.

The preface is my personal opinion, I haven't looked at other posts

From a casual point of view, or in order not to offend anyone "peaceful" - yes, this would be a convenient feature, because you can force an auction, wiki, video, and so on.
    You can spend many hours of real time in the city and indulge in the "realism" of the game - you have to be hungry and tired. But what's the problem? The developers directly told us that in order to die of hunger or fatigue, a lot of real time must pass (we are talking about a test session-more than 5 hours, I don't remember exactly). So what's the problem? What is the problem to make it so that after 30 or 60 minutes of afk you are thrown out of the server in the menu - And THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS. Isn't it amazing?
    You can say: I will die in the city from hunger or fatigue and then I can be killed and take all my things! And who is actually to blame for this? No one but you! You didn't see it yourself, even though you were given enough time. Although I voted for this feature, but I thought as a solo user in a single-player game (for example, as in "It Lurks Below"). In general, I want to say that this function is convenient and everything, but because of it, the atmosphere of the game may fall. We were told about the time of day, there were plans with the migration of creatures in the world and much more, and then being in the city we become immortal. Am I a lich? No, I'm playing for a living creature that has its own needs, so let the game give us what it promised us - life.

Yeah... just without reading, I looked through the messages above, so to speak, I saw the keywords: afk, casual - I did not see them, this is my personal opinion ba3367da-55f1-4523-acfa-8c19ab81654d-image.png

• I don't like the hunger system in the first place. It serves no purpose other than saying "this is a survival game because it was a hunger system". In the end, it doesn't add anything to the game and it's a nuisance. Food should give buffs based on ingredients, that's it.

• @Razvan said in No Hunger & Rest Depletion In Towns.:

I don't like the hunger system in the first place. It serves no purpose other than saying "this is a survival game because it was a hunger system". In the end, it doesn't add anything to the game and it's a nuisance. Food should give buffs based on ingredients, that's it.

I completely disagree. I really enjoy hunger systems in all games. It's a major selling point to me and helps build an economy. Plus, the hunger in the game depletes incredibly slowly. All you need to do is buy a stack of food from someone and it's likely to last you a few days.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

I'm a yes with caveats, much like Gothix. If the town has the infrastructure in place, let it passively feed/rest it's citizens. Or, for visitors, let them pay a small fee to stay at the inn for a game day and get the same benefits.

• Wiki Editor

I voted for No, because i don't think you should be able to "rest" in the whole town.
    I would go for Yes, when there would be an option where your suggestion is just valid while you at a fireplace, at least into a tavern or your own house with a fireplace or a bed inside.
    But since your character is working in town, there should be also a hunger and engery loss, as long you are doing anything.

I can agree on that not entire city needs to be passive resting place. 🙂
    Tavern (if you have payed for a room there) or if you are citizen, and your own home could do the job, of pasively restoring your satiety at increased rate.

I would still vote for some prerequisites needing to be met for this to work, which would be that town would need some specific structures, connected with agriculture, built for this to work.

And if city has the prerequisites for this, then additionally, I would add, that if you are a citizen then, not only your, but every other citizens home within that city would passively regenerate you, so you can also spend time at your friends hanging round having fun, and not having each citizen having to be isolated at own home to regenerate.

So:

• town should have specific sturcutres built to have this ability
    • if those structures are built, then what regenerates you is
      A. for citizens - tavern, your own home, any other citizens home within the city
      B. for visitors - only tavern, and only if you have rented the room

Hunger doesn't matter in my opinion, but removing "resting" while in town would defeat their whole "work causing fatigue" system. Resting rarely matters except for when you are actually doing lots of manual labor... such as..... building. Building is mostly done in a town or a plot... so removing fatigue while in a town or plot would be detrimental to their design.

Starving to death because the player forgot to log off is that player's problem. We have to remember to log off.

Indeed you are right, so I agree that it should be paused only while inside the inn.

@spoletta said in No Hunger & Rest Depletion In Towns.:

Indeed you are right, so I agree that it should be paused only while inside the inn.

This could be double edged sword though, causing inns to be overcrowded by a huge number of AFK people just standing on tables and everywhere around, which would directly remove fun from people that would love some RP in tavers.

If there is such place that rests passively, tavern CAN NOT be the only place that offers this. In such case peoples homes should be such places as well.

Between, A - no resting place ... and B - only tavern as resting place .... option A is much better.
    Personally I would prefer C, tavern and peoples homes (your own, and friends homes) as resting places.

• Why not check if someone is afk (like 10 minutes no input) - then satiety / rest depletion pauses.
    But if someone is active in town (going around, crafting, ...) - then satiety / rest depletion is active?

• @Kazzier said in No Hunger & Rest Depletion In Towns.:

I completely disagree. I really enjoy hunger systems in all games. It's a major selling point to me and helps build an economy. Plus, the hunger in the game depletes incredibly slowly. All you need to do is buy a stack of food from someone and it's likely to last you a few days.

Why do you enjoy it in Fractured? In survival games it's part of a bigger thing and it's important, but in Fractured it really serves no purpose. I also don't see how it helps the economy since you have to eat every 30min or so and you can do it on the field with items found while farming.
    It is confirmed that food will be used as a buff. Having intricate recipes that can only be crafted on a stove or crafting station (at least the high tier ones) will push people into buying food, instead of eating berries, grilled pumpking and meat. This is a good system. On the other hand, dying because you haven't eaten in a while is just a nuisance that adds no value.

In various MMOs I played, when I spend time in towns it's usually when I'm half AFK, doing something else on second screen, but enjoying the chatting with people in game on primary screen.

In this time I'm usually not really doing anything, just chatting, I'm not moving around.
    But I still wouldn't like to be disconnected every 10 min because I'm "just chatting" and not moving. 🙂

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

There are many reasons to keep hunger going at a normal pace no matter what.

• It is one less thing to code
    • Towns will be sieged and food usage could matter
    • Not all towns will have easy access to food, and as such will be encouraged to trade with a farming town
    • If you want to semi afk chat with your friends, do so in a tavern/bar and make an evening of it, eating and drinking in game too
    • Resource sinks can be very healthy for the game
    • It is currently very easy to stockpile food, and if you are in town, you won't be far from a chest full of it
      • If food spoils in future iterations of the game, then it could be more bothersome, but probably wouldn't be that bad
    • If you are afk, you won't be needing to move around and can quickly eat something to jump into any random pvp
    • It is one less thing to code, break, and be exploited

@Brueson said in No Hunger & Rest Depletion In Towns.:

There are many reasons to keep hunger going at a normal pace no matter what.

• It is one less thing to code
    • Towns will be sieged and food usage could matter
    • Not all towns will have easy access to food, and as such will be encouraged to trade with a farming town
    • If you want to semi afk chat with your friends, do so in a tavern/bar and make an evening of it, eating and drinking in game too
    • Resource sinks can be very healthy for the game
    • It is currently very easy to stockpile food, and if you are in town, you won't be far from a chest full of it
      • If food spoils in future iterations of the game, then it could be more bothersome, but probably wouldn't be that bad
    • If you are afk, you won't be needing to move around and can quickly eat something to jump into any random pvp
    • It is one less thing to code, break, and be exploited

Lots of smart stuff said here that I hadn't considered. Glad I voted no!

@Trug said in No Hunger & Rest Depletion In Towns.:

let them pay a small fee to stay at the inn for a game day and get the same benefits.

I like that idea. it gives a reason to visit the inn, it gives a reason to visit cities. it puts a need to upgrade villages into something better.

maybe different levels of the Inn can change how hunger is effected. example:
    level1 inn - reduces hunger by 25%
    level 2 inn - reduces hunger by 50%
    level 3 inn - reduces hunger by 75%
    level 4 inn - reduces hunger by 100%

in order to get a higher tier Inn the city has to be upgraded and put the level 4 at the highest tier.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured