fun or no im asking

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@PeachMcD said in fun or no im asking:

(...)you literally just told me to do what I said I was going to do(...)

You said you were going to explore less, hence why I thought I'd make suggestion on how you could still explore, but risk less exposure to PvP 😛

• @Logain said in fun or no im asking:

Playing games is a huge waste of time, I thought that's why we all played games? 😉

... it's one thing to play games in order to have fun or spend time with some internet friends, and another to play walking simulators. From a realistic point of view, people won't move very much unless they have a reason to. The game encourages us to "explore" by unlocking skills, but there's only so many skills you can unlock to become efficient. After that the game encourages us to settle and trade.

@Stacy555

Glad to know you're still as dense as you were months ago.
    Come back on release instead where things are fully polished so you can have your 'fun'.

@Zori Glad to see I can get several sensible replies and then a Cunt comes along and spoils it, fucking obnoxious child.

@Stacy555 ah, so you can come to any thread that you like, berate someone with an asinine remark but when someone calls you out for being dim witted, you resort to your most primitive form of communication. -- or should I say your only form of communication.

Typical of your kind, you know, uneducated and unrefined.

@Stacy555 said in fun or no im asking:

@Zori Glad to see I can get several sensible replies and then a Cunt comes along and spoils it, fucking obnoxious child.

• Community Manager

@Stacy555 @Zori Enough bickering. Stay on-topic please. 😉

@Razvan said in fun or no im asking:

(...)have fun or spend time with some internet friends, and another to play walking simulators(...)

That depends how you play, I'd guess. Walking around can be a large thrill in a PvP setting, being prepared for an ambush, planning ahead on how to evade and counter. Which comes back to what you enjoy. I am never going to forget how I fooled a 'wanna-be PK' that was double my level an MMORPG simply by knowing my terrain. He was faster, he had more health, he had powerful distant attacks that required me to stop and heal every now. I managed to outrun and escape easy and it was priceless hearing him flame and mutter.
    I do not recall any moment of any of the countless hours of grinding in that MMORPG.

• @Logain
    What do you try to convince me of?
    If you don't recall any moment that happened while grinding, it doesn't mean nobody can. I have a lot of such awesome moments: doing a legendary boss in Albion the day it was introduced. Nobody knew its mechanics, so we kept trying different things for an hour until we got it right and when we finally did it, we went bananas on voice. Getting dove by a party twice as big and killing them after a crazy fight with 2 survivors. Trying to dispute a farming spot that escalated in a few hours long alliance war. Plus lots of epic voice chat moments.

Anyway, going back to the initial point, nothing you said here makes a compelling argument regarding the importance of exploring in this game.

• To be honest: In every online game I ever played the best time where always with friends in voice:

• Killing a boss with my raid group after 100 hours training...
    • Running around with a hunting party in Albion and meeting this one guy that attacked us and getting enough stuff for 1 million silver for each of us...
    • Farming with friends to build this one big ship...

I think in every kind of game you can have fun with friends.
    Some stuff will be grinding, otherwise you won't be ready for the big boss / not able to build stuff / ...
    But with friends while joking around its okay. 🙂

I decided to not play Fractured in Alpha:
    I know myself: If the game is unfinished and doesn't have enough content I would be unhappy. Not everyone is able to play Alphas.
    I myself have this problem: Even if I know its an Alpha - I am just not able to separate my feelings from the information I know.
    But its enough for me at the moment when my friends tell me: "You will have fun." 🙂

@FluffKugel

That is indeed what a MMO is suppose to be. A game where you have fun with "friends", rather they are people you already know or people you met while playing the game and got to know.

Playing with "people" is what makes an MMO fun!!!! 🙂

• Content Creator

@Ostaff MMOs can also be a lot of fun completely solo, sans friends. The only games I ever played with friends in voice generally were Diablo 2 and Mech Warriors 3. I used to spend hours and hours, days and months all by myself exploring and killing, and crafting in EverQuest, Guild Wars 1 & 2, and games like them...the potential to have the storyline affected by other players, to have a live, vibrant system that was not 100% AI was what appealed to me about MMOs, sure, I might go on an occasional raid, or dungeon instance, but as I said, I did so sans-voice. In-game chat was fine for communication usually, not saying now I wouldn't be more likely to use a voice client.

@GamerSeuss

Personally, I would choose Baldur's Gate III, Dark Souls III, Dragon's Dogma, Pillar's of Eternity over any MMO for solo play. Those are games geared toward a solo player with the ability to add in "friends" or others on a casual basis. MMO's in my opinion are meant to be played in groups, its why they are Massive Multiplayer games... so even though there may be a few occasional times where I may go at it alone in a MMO due to time restraints or other.... I find the best experience of MMOs actually coming from the comradery with others and building something much bigger than I could do alone. It's like going to an amusement park alone versus going to one with friends... yeah.. sure.. yipee... amusement park rides may be alright when riding them alone or with complete strangers, but they get much much more interesting and fun when you actually go there with friends! Same for cruises and experiences in general. Why sell yourself short? When something is ment to be shared and experienced with others... do so. The experiences are just that much more satisfying.

• The problem is that in MMOs most people play together. As long as there is pvp, when a group sees a solo person gathering, transporting stuff or killing mobs, most of the time they don't think "it's not fair to gank/contest this guy's spot", but they think "great, easy target".

@Ostaff Your first word is the most important one "Personally"

Every now and then I personally return to GW2 and I have never joined a guild, its a game I find fun to play solo.

(...)What do you try to convince me of?(...)

Nothing.

(...)f you don't recall any moment that happened while grinding, it doesn't mean nobody can.
    (...)Anyway, going back to the initial point, nothing you said here makes a compelling argument regarding the importance of exploring in this game.

That's true the other way round as well. If you can't enjoy exploration, it doesn't mean nobody can. Hence why I provided my own personal experience.
    The question should be, can the game manage to be successful with a reduced target audience that ain't the typical a dime a dozen WoW clone. I can't answer that, I don't have the data, but if the developers are willing to go that route, I am happy that they are. After all, they are open about advertising that, so people who join/buy the game can't complain they wouldn't haven known in advance.

• @Logain said in fun or no im asking:

That's true the other way round as well. If you can't enjoy exploration, it doesn't mean nobody can.

I never said I don't enjoy exploration, I said it can't be a big thing in this game because, first of all you'd be done with it in a relatively short time, and second most of the mechanics encourage people to settle and trade. Mat nodes are tied to cities, so gathering is tied to your town. Chests are localized and fast traveling options are limited, so the further you are from your settlement, the longer the journey back, which makes it riskier to bring the loot back.

Traveling isn't only about unlocking skills. Its about harvesting resources, trading, economy, pvp, bounty hunting, necessity for social integration to provide you safety,...

If you just want to skip travel and directly get stone and sell it with next click... why dont we go step further and just give you 10000g and everything you can have as soon as you log in first time so you can stop playing right away and go do something else. 🤔🙃

• Content Creator

@Ostaff Don't get me wrong, I love games like the Baldur's Gate Series, Elder Scrolls, etc... and they are a ton of fun to play, however, rarely do they contain the scope of an MMO. I am a very social person, but I like to socialize more on a face to face basis. MMOs were for me, more for when I want to jump into a game and do my thing on my schedule, and not worry about anyone else's. Yes, like I said, sometimes I would clear a dungeon or go on a raid with friends, and rarely, but once in awhile with a group of strangers, but those were by and large the exception, not the rule. I've been in Guilds, and even ran a guild or 3, but the other guildies were also like me, more solos and groups of 2s and 3s, that might come together for something special, like an in-game event, but most of the time we want to log in on our schedule, log out without feeling like we're disappointing anyone or leaving people hanging.

The first MMO was Ultima Online, and it was designed primarily to play your way, solo or grouped. EverQuest came pretty much next in the major scheme of things, and yes, it had several boss areas that encouraged grouping, but you were still fully supported if you wanted to solo your way through the game. MMO does stand for Massive Mutliplayer Online, but that doesn't by any means mandate the Multiplayer aspect, except for the fact that you will pass a thriving world and you know that those around you aren't all AIs. You might not be grouped with them, but potentially you can group with anyone you want, or just be a hermit/loner.

When I want the mandate of other players, I play a team game, or a TTRPG like Dungeons & Dragons, and when I play an MMO, I let my individual mood guide me from session to session.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured