New Armors and weapons, how do you think will effect the gameplay and your build?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Hello to all, am a player named SIANT in game. As we know already in the next test we will have items that will make you stronger (will mobs be too easy to kill?), like weapons and armors. That opens alot of character builds to make, as well as Blacksmith if i may call it a character build, more like a path.
    So what are you striving to build in the upcoming test and are you excited more for the optional additions that i hope at least one of then we will see in the test?

great question @Diablo 👍

My main has been a mage the last two tests bc I'm totally clueless about fighter pc's (MMORPG isn't my first love, game-wise. I struggle and die a LOT)

The new armors & weaponry are temptations for me to try maining as a fighter for the next test. To stretch my envelope, yes, but also to help the devs since tests are,by definition, places to try out new content & give feedback.

Last test, there were a few players talking about a quarterstaff fighter build with strong AoE, and that's intriguing for me as a mostly solo player. I might try out a polearm if one is available.

Looking forward to reading replies & suggestions from more experienced fighter types. What say you, @Razvan? @Gothix? @Oxfurd?

About normal mobs being too easy to kill, I guess thats expected. But it's as it should be. The most random mobs will be easy targets that you kill for skins etc.

However, game will feature more dangerous areas wheere more difficult mobs will reside, and they will provide a challenge even with better gear. And there there will be bosses, that will be even harder and not for solo players to hunt down.

I don't know what "class" will be most eficeint for solo play, it depends what build you will have, what you seek (PvP, PvE) and many other factors.

I can only say that group play will require all classes, everyone will be needed.

So I guess the long story short is, play what you enjoy playing. 🙂 You will surely bee needed in groups regardless of what you chose. And your solo play will be most enjoyable if you are actually playing what you enjoy.

@PeachMcD said in New Armors and weapons, how do you think will effect the gameplay and your build?:

(...)but also to help the devs since tests are,by definition, places to try out new content & give feedback(...)

Very wise words, we need more 'players' with that mindset! Kudos to you 😉

As for the topic, creatures could be easy, but that is to be expected, there's no real balancing yet, since neither the creatures nor the players have all their features and functionality available yet. In the end, the goal is for equipment to be a minimal increase in 'power' and more of an increase in versatility, so no, new weapons shouldn't make creatures easier, but that could be the case in a testing phase.

• Content Creator

I think the lack of Heavy Armor specific skills in the game will leave it lacking compared to light and medium armor.

The only way to rectify this is to make it the most tankiest armor including against spells.

The con would be having less available skills than light and medium such as stealth.

@Nekrage D&D is the same way. I have always found it best to run high dex with lighter armor than to run with heavy armor and lose the dex bonus. Heavy armor always seems to be wanting in fantasy builds..

• Content Creator

@Farlander said in New Armors and weapons, how do you think will effect the gameplay and your build?:

@Nekrage D&D is the same way. I have always found it best to run high dex with lighter armor than to run with heavy armor and lose the dex bonus. Heavy armor always seems to be wanting in fantasy builds..

Ya...unfortunately it seems like that may be how it plays out in Fractured.

(Runs circle around that heavily plated fool who decided it was a good idea to wade across the mud hole)

stab ... stab... poke... poke.

@Farlander said in New Armors and weapons, how do you think will effect the gameplay and your build?:

At least in Baldur's Gate II, my heavily-armored Barbarian was the only character I had who could go toe-to-toe with a dragon. 🙂

• Content Creator

To be fair to D&D and Fractured and the like,

These limitations fit with a lot of the fantasy tropes of the times in books and other media. Heavy armor was great for turning a swordblade or blunting the force of a maul, but was shit vs the mysterious forces of Magic, and even detrimental in some cases (Electricity/Lightning magic, Heat Metal spells, Gravity Magic, etc...)

When you did see heavy metal armor effective in regards to all around defense, magic included, said armor was enchanted. In some cases, this was an added, short term enchantment to the armor or shield by a potion, oil or spell/ritual, but for truly defensive armor, able to turn aside any blade, and the fiercest dragon's fire, you looked to ancient armors that were crafted using old secret techniques, often by the races of Elves and Dwarves and that armor had grown in its power as it was used by mighty warriors in epic battles across the pages. You didn't just add an enchantment to make your armor invincible and be done with it, unless that was the entire subplot of a section of a story, you went out and found that ancient suit of armor, or your found that rarest of craftsman to smelt/smith/craft/build/enchant you a suit to fit your needs, OR you talked to a God-being who might provide something useful.

All in all, mobility and training trumps heavy armor in battle, and pretty much always has.

Usually meele has it easyer in these types of games, especially if there is plenty gap closers available.

Its much easyer to just swing your weapon, then manually aim your spells on targets that aren't non intelligent mobs. Also if meele can catch you easily, you are practically done.

Imho, playing a spellcaster requires higher skill cap. But in the end it will all depend on how the game is balanced.

@Gothix

(Sicks his army of pets after you)

Try to touch me now! uh huh! uh huh! Get'em kitty!!!!

😛

@Ostaff Can you have an army of pets? What's the cap on tameables at one time?

@Farlander

Yes, the Fractured world wants to know this! I am hoping for a gazillion trillion billion million! But it's more likely only going to be between 1 and 5 😞

@Gothix Hmmm... I kind of agree because from my experience in PvP situations it is easier (in most cases) to play aggressive melee rather than kiting ranged. However, the balance can easily change with more experienced players. I have managed to be decent Cursed staff user in Albion and a relatively good Frost Mage in WoW but typically I am better with melee classes/builds. I have always respected those who can play succesfully as a healer in PvP situations. Healers can often be the main kill target and under constant pressure, therefore, it is amazing if they can survive and keep team mates alive at the same time.

Bunch of pets could definitely be very dangerous indeed. Send your pet army and run!

I guess it also depends on what kind of range will pets end up having, before resetting and going back to owner. If range is too long, it could be abused in hundreds of different ways. 🙂

If too many it can be abused. UO tamers were always getting nerfed for this reason.

NOOOOO!!!! I need all my pets!!! (Holds up a sign that reads, "Pet Lives Matter! We need MORE pets!". This messages was approved by all adoring pet fans)

Remember... pets need to get fed... taken to vet... innoculated... thats a lots of expenses and if you dont spend enpugh time with them they will not like you and might end up eating you.

I guess the pets are more intended as for cosmetics and for utility rather than raw power increase.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured