Suggestion: Currency names

• Wiki Editor

Dear Dynamight,
    I think it would be reasonable to suggest you reconsider how you call either one of in-game currencies, because currently they sound pretty similar and to a player newly introduced to the game "Gold" and "Dynamight Gold" may look exactly the same.
    You can see how this would cause unwarranted drama and misunderstanding and harm both the community and the game in general by spreading factually incorrect info.

• Well, I just got a funny idea. How about having 3 different currencies for 3 different races(for each planet) and we can convert these currencies from one to the other with their current value similar to the real world economy?

• Wiki Editor

@Clinion This actually sounds like quite a fun idea ngl.
    How will the conversion rate be figured out though? Because having currency exchange NPCs would just be agains the p2p free trade concept.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Clinion I loved this idea!!

We could have a system in place similar to the one in the real world I think... basically, the more you have of a specific currency, the less value it is worth.

There could be global variables like "amount of X coins in the game" , and we have a rate at which each one exists and a way to buy and sell them.

This would require some way of "losing" the coins, so the exchange could have some tax applied to it, or cities would require lots of them to keep running and stuff like that

Maybe every transaction, even player to player would have a 5% tax that would go to the server or something

• Wiki Editor

@egonaraujo This is all dandy but taxes are not fun. Money sinks are way better realized as fast travel cost, price to pass trough a gate to some PvM dungeon or just repair costs for gear. In fact devs have already droppen a lot of info on gold sinks like: housing upkeep costs, town NPC costs, other town upkeep expenses and much more.
    So we're good on that part, no need to add an artificial tax to p2p trading πŸ˜„

@egonaraujo Sorry but that is not how currency in the real world works. Real world currency is a promissory note backed by the rare metal upon which the currency standard is in use. In the real world that is either gold or silver if I'm not mistaken. In our game world we will be trading with the actually rare metals so there would be no exchange fees. Your gold coin is worth the same as any other gold coin no matter whose stamp is on it.

Back to game mechanics this would be just a devaluation of the most densely populated worlds because they will be generating more coins. This is unfair to those players. Gold is gold no matter where it is generated in my opinion.

@humerus I can also see how this will cause some misunderstandings. Ingame currency coul be e.g. copper or silver, and Dynamight currency can be e.g. coins or doubloons.

• Wiki Editor

@Tuoni Yeah with the recent influx of new players I noticed a couple of cases where the two got confused. This can easily cause some bad word of mouth publicity and hurt the game in it's current vulnerable state. I really think that if underestimated and not given a timely rework this may end up in a, let's just say, suboptimal way.

Dynamight Gold

Demonollar
    Beastmark
    Menyen

@Gothix said :

Dynamight Gold

Demonollar
    Beastmark
    Menyen

+1 this! (is that a typo tho? did you mean Demondollar?
    one foreseeable issue is that the inevitable abbreviation of the Beastmark will be kinda shitty πŸ˜‰
    maybe in honor of our devs, and sounding more fantastical, "Beastlira"?

Thanks for the idea in the OP, @Tuoni I nominate you for a Wednesday Win. πŸ†

@PeachMcD said in Suggestion: Currency names:

maybe in honor of our devs, and sounding more fantastical, "Beastlira"?

πŸ˜‚

@Farlander said in Suggestion: Currency names:

Real world currency is a promissory note backed by the rare metal upon which the currency standard is in use.

I dont know any country that has gold backed currency. I know the US dropped that back in 60 or 70's, whenever Nixxon was Pres.

@Jetah I think everyone is on the silver standard.

@Farlander I think @Jetah is right about the gold, and I am not sure about that silver either... Here is something to read about this matter: Gold backed currency

"Is currency backed by gold? The simple answer is β€œno”. Today, money is worth whatever people think it’s worth."

@Farlander said in Suggestion: Currency names:

@Jetah I think everyone is on the silver standard.

The silver standard is a monetary system in which the standard economic unit of account is a fixed weight of silver. The silver specie standard was widespread from the fall of the Byzantine Empire until the 19th century.

That would fit however more to the timeframe of the game then the gold standard if you could compare it to human timelines and history.

Hello, i think in game, Gold is going to be "Gold Coin", as well as maybe "Silver Coin"
    and "Dynamight Coin".
    Looking at it, gold coins are going to be crafted from mined gold material(in every world i believe), i don't know if there going to be silver ones and i don't think we should go this far into real world with currencies..
    I don't wanna see bitcoin exchanges ingame haha

• Wiki Editor

@Diablo Actually having multiple currencies could be very fun but that's off topic.
    What the thread originaly was about is that the in-game currentcy and the microtransaction currency both sound quite alike which could easily cause some bad publicity based on misunderstanding.

I suggest Florin or Belly πŸ˜‰ 😁

• I really like the independent coin for each planet idea. It doesn't change much because each planet will have its own inflation, but it adds a little flavor to the game.

How about the original point, even if they leave gold and dynamight gold people would call them gold and dyna or something like that. Overall it shouldn't be an issue, but it might be a bit confusing for new people.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Farlander While money used to be backed by gold and silver, and there was a huge political fight for several decades over which to use, modern money currently uses neither and is fiat currency. It's minted from cheap materials and legally mandated as worth a considerably higher value than that of the material and production cost.

Money, as in dollar bills and coins, is effectively a physical representation of abstract value or debt. The virtual balances kept by banks and other such institutions are also representations of value or debt.

The relative value of different currencies to one another depends on a myriad factors, such as how influential the respective nation is in the world economy. How much physical currency exists is only one factor, and a relatively minor one at that.

The primary cause of inflation is a shock to the economy, such as a rise of production costs or a change in supply or demand causing a rapid price hike.

That said, the fact that virtual currency in an MMO can be minted infinitely and rapidly, and that NPC shops are endlessly stocked, infinitely rich, and buy anything and everything for a static price, is probably a much larger factor in inflation than it is in the real world, where minting is very limited and retailers have stock and funds to worry about.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured