Will food rot?

• TF#3 - ENVOY

The question is obvious from the title but I'm wondering if food that is harvested will rot over time?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I sure hope not. Nothing worse than spending a few hours gathering food only to log back in and it's all gone. That used to happen in another game I played. Very frustrating to say the least. There is a level of realism that just doesn't translate over to a game world where you are not "living" 24/7.

I also hope not.

We would like (hopefully, most of us anyway), exploration based, PvP endgame GvG, sandbox game, where you have plenty of options what you can do, and focus is on social mechanics.

Survival elements, will hopefully be minimal to moderate, and not hardcore, requiring you to live 24/7 in MMO, working to even be able to play it.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I don't think it will. Adds a lot of complexity while (arguably) not actually making the game more fun to play.

That said, I'm in the group of players where I would prefer it if food was perishable so it was something else we had to trade off and play around with. But I just really like survival elements in games and not-so-secretly want every game to be a RimWorld clone. That's probably the wrong instinct here. 🙂

I just like it if things like, say, grain was perishable, but the rate of perishing went down if it was in a grain silo, and went to zero if that grain silo had a 'cats' upgrade to stop loss to mice. Makes cities more important for long term food storage, that sort of thing.

But pretty sure it wouldn't be fun for most other players, so no biggie.

• This post is deleted!

@Farlander said in Will food rot?:

I sure hope not. Nothing worse than spending a few hours gathering food only to log back in and it's all gone. That used to happen in another game I played. Very frustrating to say the least. There is a level of realism that just doesn't translate over to a game world where you are not "living" 24/7.

so long as food has some length of time it isn't bad. but when food rots in less than 12 rl hours then it's a problem. IE if plants lasted for a real month while meat lasted 15 days. maybe meat could be salted to increase the duration to 30 days.

That's one of these 'balance' things that likely can only be answered after we saw the full implementation and effect of food (including benefits and drawbacks). Right now food is both rather meaningless and incredibly easy to get next to everywhere, but that's obviously subject to change.

I really hope not. Moreover, food are consumables so there will be constant demand of eatables. Therefore, there is no need to implement such system unless developers wants to annoy people on purpose. If food buffs needs adjustment, I suggest to check the timers (how long those are effective) and decrease those if needed, and that way increase consumption. Lets presume that there will be a specific dish which gives a character a buff (+5% attack power for 1 hour), and later is noticed that there is not enough demand, it would be easy to decrease the timer e.g. from 1h to 30min, and double the demand. It is way better that food decay in use rather than when people are offline.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured