Questions and observation on the lack of depth for people who like crafting to define their character

• I have been curious about the crafting system on this game in particular how there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of progression for crafters and gear isnt supposed to create huge power gaps (ive read that it will be a smallish boost to crafts made by an expert)

when watching oxfurds stream talks with Prometheus it seems like there is little intention to make crafting something you can sink your teeth into as far as progressing beyond the enchantment spell tree giving people the ability to buff allies in battle as well as infusing elemental powers into items giving people the ability to play support and craft. (im sure the quests to fully rank your enchantment spells will be cool)

Basically i think one way to have the crafting scale horizontally better and be more satisfying/rewarding to people who like to play as a focused crafter would be to have it tie into the fractured worlds and travelling (similar to the fire spell that can only be maxed out by praying at a shrine on tartaros p.s one of the most hype inducing moments when i read that its success over repetition i ❤ it, the vision of progression became clear to me when i read that 😛 ) and the different materials that can be gathered on each planet for example each race could have its own crafting tree using all the mats on their world and when a human uses inspect item on demon crafts they may unlock the recipie for a tartaros iron colossal greataxe that may be able to take advantage of the over 20 strength score that is more common on tartaros and much rarer among humans or maybe it will just favour slow attack speed high damage but same dps as a slimmer human weapon that favours a better balance of power and speed, maybe when you reach a% of tartaros crafting knowledge it will allow you to make hybrids i.e modding human wepons with "tartaros iron core" to detract from speed slightly and adding more on hit damage or adding a silver edge to a tartaros iron blade to make it better against unarmored opponents

my point bieng it would allow people to search for master crafters with a knowledge of multiple worlds crafts in order to make a weapon/ armor that has an extra level of fine tuning to make it more personalised but not neccesarily stronger in a flat way (think someone who uses melee abilities and autoattack resets dosent care as much about attack speed and wants a weapon with higher single swing damage for big numbers but someone who is using a high crit build would want a lighter weapon allowing for more chances to crit) and give more of an econemy to travelling to other planets because you have a crafter desperate to identify/dismantle some demon crafts/materials in order to expand their knowledge allowing them to create more variations of the longsword incorperating materials from other planets. i think it just needs taking a step or 2 further

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Fractured is more like Diablo than it is like World of Warcraft, so it's unlikely they will create a formal crafting / recipes progression the way that they have a formal combat / skills progression.

I wouldn't mind at all if they added it, though. It would be highly compatible with the game's existing concepts of discovering materials et al.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Found the great Wall of fractured!

I personally don't see fractured similar to Diablo at all. Isn't Diablo a dungeon looter like borderlands?

I see OPs vision as possible.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Pluto Fractured's basic controls and strong focus on "skill shot" attacks are derived from MOBA and are extremely similar to Diablo. I don't think they will copy the semi-linear dungeon progression or the "explosion of loot" theme, however.

• i see what you are saying in regards to combat i remember buying diablo 3 like "well this sucks would make a great mmo tho" lol only way i got any fun was playing on 1 life = death mode for a rush 😛 world of warcraft back in the day what a game when it was fresh it was soooo goooood lol tibia was the best out of every mmo ive ever played tho.... i hope they add a step or 2 just so there is some rare gear some player driven questing for the shut in crafter type lol just more fun to be had 😄

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@NeroulGB

The current system seems to be leaning more towards the material used both to craft and to enchant. "rare armor" would be armor made from rare materials. This was also (sort of) a feature in Ultima Online, though that did have a coherent crafting skill with recipe difficulty and such.

• i dont mind what makes rare gear i like that rare items exist on each planet ect but alot of people that play mmos are guild crafters ect some people come on to craft and chat like its habbo hotel lol and the like to stand apart for what they do in some way and i feel like the current system just needs some racial/planetary progression atleast and in my dreams they can combine these things just to add more variety to each weapon type but idk 😄 i just want people to be happy im hardcore pvp guy but i want the game to make as many people happy as possible and i dont think it would take too much for it to be something crafters can be proud of when they say check this out ect

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

There are hot paragraph breaks in your area hoping to meet a nice young man such as yourself. Please consider letting them into your life, it'll make things better for everyone invovled. 🙂

Secondly: From the sound of it, I do think that the crafting aspect of the game is likely to be thinner than you'd like. But it's going to be deeper than the current alpha gameplay may indicate.

That said, keep in mind that the crafting of the game is currently very very incomplete. We don't even have the alpha cut of advanced workstations yet, and they've already stated that the enchantment UI is getting an overhaul, and we have two whole planets worth of reagents to still be added to the game.

There's still a lot left to go, so don't lose hope completely! 🙂

• @KairosVal sorry i could do with upping my game where typing is concerned 😛

to be honest im not really bothered for me the only reason i have any input is I'm very picky with games and I really like the sound of this one its the only MMO on the horizon for me i must come across as a picky person but i just want to try and flag anything i feel is underwhelming it comes from a place of loooooove i wouldnt be here typing if i had lost hope at all its 4:30 am for me and im just sitting around thinking about fractured lol

i dont really care for crafting as i said im hardcore into pvp just a part of the game that if infused with the race/planet system could be that little bit stronger wont matter to me really just tryna nudge the game in any way i can and this is the only way i can ever have a dev consider that point of view is to try flag it on here.

the make or break for me is endurance and life if other players/yourself can heal your endurance without it subtracting from your life it will make for an immersion-breaking metagame and constitution ending up a dump stat but i have seen prometheus confirm on an oxfurd stream that it will function like that to what degree i dont know because the stream had a dodgy connection and Prometheus's voice kept cutting out so i am still in limbo with that point but this is the only mmo i have any hope left in so im here caring spending £70 odd just to try and back the idea and i just want to say anything loudly to prevent a mess that leaves me hopeless 😛 ❤ much love to the devs anything i say i say with loooove - edit i also read as much of the current material as i can get my hands on so i make comment based on that also not just gameplay (i have been working still as a care worker so i havent played this alpha im very jealous next 1 i will book off work ^.^ )

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@NeroulGB said in Questions and observation on the lack of depth for people who like crafting to define their character:

@KairosVal sorry i could do with upping my game where typing is concerned

Greatly appreciate the formatting effort! 😄

Also, I think Oxfurd's streams with Prometheus are all on YouTube now. If you had a dodgy connection during the livestream, you might be able to get something more stable from YouTube now?

And yeah, I'm enthusiastic too. I backed on the Kickstarter at the immortal level. I'm invested. Want my Carpenter NPC contract damnit!

Looking forward to getting killed by you on the plains of Tartaros! This is my first MMO where I'm going to be diving in straight away with a PvP focus. I'm expecting to hit some learning issues. 😉

• @KairosVal it wasnt my connection it was the connection between oxfurd and prometheus i have watched that vid a bunch of times its a big point for me it annoys me so bad when he starts explaining it and cuts out xD

Also i wish i could get immortal just to have access to the dev forums they would probably hate me after a month 😛

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

With the game being full loot and losing all your gear upon death, I don't see alot of people investing time into making top end loot for themselves. With the current system for travelling most people will be dying far away from their bodies. I would expect your body to have a small timer to return to it to gather your loot. Even if you do get back to it all the gear is damaged. How much damage I haven't seen. I also haven't seen much on repairing. With all that in consideration I see alot of people dressing like the early days of UO, basic gear that you can throw away. I'm sure there will be those that want the high end stuff and those will be the guys getting chased by the pks lol.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Farlander said in Questions and observation on the lack of depth for people who like crafting to define their character:

With the game being full loot and losing all your gear upon death, I don't see alot of people investing time into making top end loot for themselves. With the current system for travelling most people will be dying far away from their bodies. I would expect your body to have a small timer to return to it to gather your loot. Even if you do get back to it all the gear is damaged. How much damage I haven't seen. I also haven't seen much on repairing. With all that in consideration I see alot of people dressing like the early days of UO, basic gear that you can throw away. I'm sure there will be those that want the high end stuff and those will be the guys getting chased by the pks lol.

The problem you are talking about is solved by giving the craftsman the ability to create equipment that does not fall upon death, equipment tied to the soul. The equipment will not last forever and will continue to wear down with use just like normal equipment, so crafts will become more relevant.

It would be a great detail if only for artisans a system parallel to the enchantment system was created, such as a runic system, so things can be derived from the enchantment system to this system so that it is not so overloaded.

• me personally the idea of soulbound equipment dosent belong in fractured and you must be able to make something with mats from other planets i just think there should be a knowledge system tied to learning crafts from other planets so someone who loves crafting can show off

the gear i proposed was no better than the other gear just variations to fine tune your builds or change the damage type from slash to pierce or blunt or potentially at a high enough knowledge and with rare mats maybe change it to an element who knows i just think people like to show something off such as making a heavier weapon for a new friend (slower attackspeed higher on hit damage same dps using something like tartaros iron and some knowledge of its application or wood with lighter properties than normal wood from arboreous to make a quicker variation of a weapon from your races crafts ) that maybe they hadn't seen before

once again i dont care much about crafts but people usually enjoy something to set them apart it would probably be annoying making multiple variations of weapons to craft but the joy people will feel when they come home from tartaros with the ability to craft tweeaked versions of their own crafts ect if they made a smithing ish crafting station that could tweak parts of a weapon that would be epic but maybe hard to have changeable weapon skins but mixing racial crafts and unlocking variations on normal crafts would be a cool horizontal way to add depth without 2 much effort i feel but meh just pointing it out 😄 much loove 😄

-edit- if it cost knowledge points to learn such things would serve to diversify characters so one man will be spending on new creature abilities ect and another may be unlocking tier 1 tartaros crafts after that have a questline similar to leveling abilities i.e make 1 of each craft advance to level 2 tartaros crafting unlocking weapons when you get high enough make hybrids of your weapons and the other tech dreeamy idk 😛 -edit-

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Rigo Bound equipment is a cheap and overused "solution" that tends to simplify and undermine the MMO environment. It's a grind-based mechanic that I'm sure Fractured will want to avoid.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Hello everyone,

My two cents to the discussion. Instead of going with the "soulbound" equipment "extreme" solution, why not let a crafter kind of "imbue" the armor with the ability to turn the player body invisible upon death? I mean, in the game there is already the stealth magic ability. Why not include in the game some material (from some strange animal or monster perhaps) that gives a chance that upon death the equiped armor renders the body invisible? In addition, the invisibility probabilities would be cummulative, more armor pieces with the property would increase the chance of success.
    I think this would be a neat solution. First, the material that would provide such ability could be made very rare. Second, to use such material would require a high crafting/enchanting knowledge.

• Iirc the game will have a talent tree that is not implemented yet. I hope this system will give an edge to dedicated crafters / refiners / gatherers.

@Phylosophys
    Because one of the main selling points of the game is the full loot pvp. Ganking a trade caravan or a player wearing top notch stuff and not being able to loot them is kind of a boner killer for me tbh. Besides, 1/3 of the game isn't as harsh as the human or demon planet.

@Razvan, yes I know that one of the main selling points of the game is the full loot pvp. It is exactly because of this that I said that should exist a probability for the stealth to activate upon player death. In addition, it should be something rare, requiring rare material and high crafter knowledge/talent.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Phylosophys I think the invisibody thing is a bit silly. It will either be too rare to be worth implementing, or common enough to undermine having full loot in the first place. Either way, the proper protection from full loot is to stay on Arboreus.

Hey @FibS, yes I know this idea may not be worth implementing at all. I put it forward just to present an alternative to "soulbound" equipment as was being discussed above.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured