Have you noticed also?

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

So as of late the world of gaming has changed from its roots?

Allow me to expand on this.

So there use to be a why games did their development. (pulled this from wiki)

*****First playable
    The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets,[149] this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements.[150] It is often based on the prototype created in pre-production.[151] Alpha and first playable are sometimes used to refer to a single milestone, however large projects require first playable before feature complete alpha.[150] First playable occurs 12 to 18 months before code release. It is sometimes referred to as the "Pre-Alpha" stage.[153]

Alpha
    See also: Alpha release
    Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[153] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[154] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[153] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[154] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[152] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release,[153] but this can vary significantly based on the scope of content and assets any given game has.

Code freeze
    Code freeze is the stage when new code is no longer added to the game and only bugs are being corrected. Code freeze occurs three to four months before code release.[153]

Beta
    See also: Beta release
    Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed.[152][153] This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable.[152] No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release.[153]

Code release
    Code release is the stage when many bugs are fixed and game is ready to be shipped or submitted for console manufacturer review. This version is tested against QA test plan. First code release candidate is usually ready three to four weeks before code release.[153]*****

Now a days due to early purchasable game (buy-ins), People seem to think they are getting into the game where it is or should be full content and playable. I think if someone buys into a Alpha they should/need to know whats going on and what to expect. There are a few way to get this info such as Forums, Youtube and Twitch(streaming).

I hear to many times someone says don't buy this because there isn't much to do. Well honestly this could hurt the team due to you not doing the correct research and incompetence.

So in closing please understand what you're buying-into and ask before you do.

• Wiki Editor

@Oxfurd said in Have you noticed also?:

Do you research games before you buy?

I am always researching, if i want to buy anything.
    Sure, sometimes it is hard to research, but i try to get as much informations about a product as i am able to get. Just with this knowledge i am able to review it or rate it in a correct way.

Our actual consuming behaviour in 2020 is overall very superficial.
    One of the main problems in our world, not just the gaming industry.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

a problem is the development stages are different for some companies. Blizzard puts out an Alpha but it's more like a Beta. I've seen Wolcen release and it was more like Internal Testing (It could have been considered Alpha but...).

Second problem is people wont do any research on their own. they'll see a game and instantly go to a forum (facebook, reddit, official forum) to post about instead of getting youtube, reading any official news post, etc. Just look at how many "omg this looks like a great game, should i get it" to "how's the game, is it fun, what can i do right now". that tells me they haven't read a single thing about it. then there's the problem of "if it's longer than a tweet, can you tl;dr".

• Wiki Editor

@Jetah said in Have you noticed also?:

if it's longer than a tweet

Yeah, welcome in the nice new world.
    But to go into this more detailed would go beyond the scope.

@Kralith

love it!

• Wiki Editor

"if it's longer than a tweet, can you tl;dr".

That can be 140 characters or so, please give me a Snapchat !

@Yitra said in Have you noticed also?:

"if it's longer than a tweet, can you tl;dr".

That can be 140 characters or so, please give me a Snapchat !

I'd rather have it in meme format please

• Well, application development life cycle changed a lot over the years; and since it was never a standard, you can't expect companies to act the same.

@Razvan I dont expect the companies themselves to. I expect the consuming public to understand how things could work on the game they decided to buy.
    When this isn't done it can hurt the dev team in a bad way due to their lack of research is all.

• Just look at how many "omg this looks like a great game, should i get it" to "how's the game, is it fun, what can i do right now".

Couldn´t age be a factor there? Seems to me like child behavior. But this game isn´t aimed at youngest audience right? Seems to me most fans come from Ultima Online 😄

I'm researching anything I'm buying. From games, computer hardware, house supplies, you name it.

If I'm buying a garden table, I'll research what material is best for it, how it handles rain, wind, physical pressure, whats the pricing, can i find chairs that match that table afterwards,...

If I'm getting a wife, I'll research if she can make good cookies, etc...

Without research, you will just regret most of your decisions in life. 😉 Research minimizes the risks you are taking.

@asspirin age is not an indicator of childish behavior

@asspirin Sadly no , i say this due to the fact I am a Manchild in the wild . So no its not based on age.

@Razvan said in Have you noticed also?:

Well, application development life cycle changed a lot over the years; and since it was never a standard, you can't expect companies to act the same.

it changed when developers.. or publishers, realized people would pay to test the product thus saving on internal QA. that's when the public had access to alpha - release. now they produce a beta and market it as 'alpha'. but when a real alpha comes around people complain that there isn't anything to do and it's buggy.

• @Gibbx said in Have you noticed also?:

I just hope one can meet more childish children then childish adults 🤞 . Im sure Im wiser (or maybe just less stupid) than I was 10 years ago 🙂 It´s ment more like "30 yo guy doesn´t have to prove anything online to himself", but my answer is probably OT, original post was ment more like "modern age simplifies everything so everyone is too lazy and bored, everything is either black or white". I totally agree on that.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

As a refugee from CoE I whole heartily agree. I think supporting these devs is important, but the two way street needs to be there. What Fractured seems to do that CoE failed at was the transparency with the community and establishment of a full understanding what their goals were. Looking back if I had known what sbs was really planning I wouldn't have invested. But at least with Fractured i have yet to buy in and I feel I know more about this game then I ever did CoE. Its refreshing to say the least.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

thats the problem that emerged from early access and paid alpha. the time when this wiki article was valid , wa back when we got free demos and companies employed playtesters. now we pay to playtest and companies are encourage to drain our wallets ... by our behaviour ( me included of course )
    Totally agree that we need this trust to be a two way street.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured