Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting

• DymStudios - CEO

Hi everybody!

In the last Feature Spotlight, we’ve given you an overlook on the types of abilities available on Fractured and the Schools of Magic & Fighting that group them. In doing so, we’ve mentioned what attribute(s) influence the power of each school among the six available ones.

Today, we’re going to discuss each attribute in detail – and while we’re at it, how your choice of race and family can influence your attribute assignment decisions during character creation.

Last but not least, we will cover the missing bit of the Knowledge System – the Resting phase, through which the concept of “every day a new gameplay” comes to life.

Click here to read the journal

As always, let us know what you think about this new sneak peek and check out the end of the article to find out what we're covering next!

Enjoy Fractured!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

More info. 😄

Is it possible to go beyond the attribute caps through the talent tree?

Also, can a Pyromancer do his rested respec if he sets the environment around him on fire? 😛

• TF#10 - CONSUL

This looks awesome!!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Really a nice spotlight! thank you so much for those new info 🙂

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

HELL FIRE DEMON!!! TACA O TERROR NESSE MUNDO!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

it's like you took every good thing in dnd and put it in this game. my overall hope is that the health regain in the game is limited so that resting feels even more necessary since it helps people get together. one thing i don't fully understand is why did you go for only perception instead of having a wistom stat? was it that accuracy is much stronger of a thing to have compared to other stats? can't wait for the next spotlight.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Awesome spotlight! Looking forward to building my character. A bit confused as to how luck works with charisma, but we will eventually figure it out. Still sticking with Erwydra.

• Wiki Editor

The Resting Phase System sounds find, but can we do Roleplay while Resting?
    Or better asked, is it counting as Resting, if you are in a Tavern or Friends Mansion or at a Fire and do some Social Roleplaying?
    I hope it is like this, because it would make much sense and would a bit forcing the social come together.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

beautifull XD!!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

What does it take to 'set up a temporary campfire' and how fast does that work?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Can't wait for the next spotlight 😄 I suppose Demons and Beastmen have less Creation Points due to their affinity with an attribut ?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

kinda a shame to see that humans are a generic jack of all trades

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@lovechildbell As typical as that is, I think it encourages people to try other things while giving people a familiar all around starting point if they want to go that route.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Can't say I'm a fan of the modifiers that the Udoadra get. They don't match up with what I was expecting based on their description from the first spotlight:

"While not larger than a human, they are considerably stronger and more resilient"

With intelligence being important for every class, starting with -2 is a pretty big deal that will cost you points. Other races can afford to ignore their negative modifiers if they make a character that plays to their strengths, but that won't really be an option for Udoadra. Their -2 will feel like a tax penalty that you're forced to deal with. Not to mention it labels them as a "dumb" race, which if seldom fun for the player.

Based of the descriptions for the stats, I would assume that charisma synergizes with intelligence for combat purposes (psychic damage)? If that assumption is correct, then their best stats synergises with their worst stat =\

And finally, it makes no sense to me that Chadra gets a -1 while Udoadra gets a -1 and a -2 when they have the same number of positive modifiers. What was your process for deciding the modifiers for each race?

Personally, I'd like to see the -2 removed from the Udoadra, and potentially the -1 moved to dex as well to match their original description better.

Great spotlight! thanks for the info. the game is looking good.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Can’t wait for the next spotlight!

I have to say I love the feel of this character creation. Taking us back to table-top rules where one race + class combination is not as good as another race-class combination. Not every race should have the same stats, and I'm glad to see you going down this route.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

A vontade de jogar só aumenta a cada spotlight =D

• DymStudios - CEO

@deity said in Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting:

why did you go for only perception instead of having a wistom stat? was it that accuracy is much stronger of a thing to have compared to other stats?

If you're talking Wisdom in the D&D sense, Perception becomes a better name for it too if you cut off the role-playing side of it 😉

@kralith said in Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting:

Or better asked, is it counting as Resting, if you are in a Tavern or Friends Mansion or at a Fire and do some Social Roleplaying?

Hmm, I don't really get the question. Resting is specific mechanic involving re-assigning your attribute points, choosing what spells to memorize, and recovering your health. If you want to roleplay before or after doing it... Why not?

@vengu said in Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting:

Is it possible to go beyond the attribute caps through the talent tree?

It is, but the maximum an attribute can reach is 25, be it all Natural Score (base stats + talents) or thanks to temporary modifiers.

@logain said in Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting:

What does it take to 'set up a temporary campfire' and how fast does that work?

We haven't defined that exactly yet - but it takes a while, both to gather the resources and to craft what's needed... It's not something you're meant to do every day :slight_smile:

@esher said in Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting:

Can't wait for the next spotlight I suppose Demons and Beastmen have less Creation Points due to their affinity with an attribut ?

Indeed!

@lovechildbell said in Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting:

kinda a shame to see that humans are a generic jack of all trades

Attribute-wise, perhaps, but don't forget that Humans have access to technology - which impacts building, crafting and combat as well. That's something other races don't have an it's a huge characterization points :slight_smile:

@vvolfsong said in Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting:

With intelligence being important for every class, starting with -2 is a pretty big deal that will cost you points. Other races can afford to ignore their negative modifiers if they make a character that plays to their strengths, but that won't really be an option for Udoadra. Their -2 will feel like a tax penalty that you're forced to deal with. Not to mention it labels them as a "dumb" race, which if seldom fun for the player.

Urgh, I just realized a bit of text went missing from the article (even tho it was explained in the example) - I just fixed it.

The table you're referring to shows cap variations, not bonuses/maluses. It means Udoadra can get their INT up to 16 instead of 18, they don't start with -2!

@vvolfsong said in Feature Spotlight #5 - Character Creation, Attributes And Resting:

Based of the descriptions for the stats, I would assume that charisma synergizes with intelligence for combat purposes (psychic damage)?

No, the assumption is quite wrong, sorry. Charisma serves a very different purpose from Intelligence, and we don't expect players to generally raise one if they raise the other.

And finally, it makes no sense to me that Chadra gets a -1 while Udoadra gets a -1 and a -2 when they have the same number of positive modifiers. What was your process for deciding the modifiers for each race?

The table (and the article) was focused on attributes, but there's more than that to a race. Beastmen for instance can turn into their Primal Form, through which they gain unique modifiers and abilities - and that changes by family... so if you see one race having worst cap modifiers, it means they have advantages elsewhere 😉

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Honestly, nothing surprising. In fact, this is probably the most typical thing I've seen in Fractured so far. I'm not saying it is a bad thing though!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured