Critical strikes

• Just have some question regarding crits.

So far Dexterity gives some minor bonus to crit chance and perception gives up to 4% (on per 18).
    Will we get crit chance based on equipment (so far I´ve only seen crit damage on jewellery and helmet), through passive talents or buffs (spells / potions)? Or will skills offer +X% to crit chance to crit / will every skill have its own chance to crit?

Also will there be way to reduce opponent´s chance to crit me ? It was stated, that dexterity should help, but in tables i´ve only seen bonus to evade. Will luck be involved in both crit chance and crit resist ?

• Wiki Editor

@asspirin The only item I've seen with crit chance is Wolf Teeth Necklace at +8%; it also gives a +5 INT.

I assume you have to be hit to be subjected to crits so evade should help to not be hit.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@kellewic said in Critical strikes:

@asspirin The only item I've seen with crit chance is Wolf Teeth Necklace at +8%; it also gives a +5 INT.

I assume you have to be hit to be subjected to crits so evade should help to not be hit.

can't crit if you can't hit
    that's my response when people ask if it's better to stat for hit or crit.

• @Jetah "can't crit if you can't hit
    that's my response when people ask if it's better to stat for hit or crit" - so far both crits and accuracy are gained through Perception, so you stat for both, right. I would rather ask, whether dodge mechanic can "weaken attack roll" like "Crit becomes hit, hit becomes graze, graze becomes miss" like in Pillars of Eternity / Grim dawn, or whether its just 100% mitigation of damage on succesfull dodge.

• Wiki Editor

@asspirin said in Critical strikes:

@Jetah "can't crit if you can't hit
    that's my response when people ask if it's better to stat for hit or crit" - so far both crits and accuracy are gained through Perception, so you stat for both, right. I would rather ask, whether dodge mechanic can "weaken attack roll" like "Crit becomes hit, hit becomes graze, graze becomes miss" like in Pillars of Eternity / Grim dawn, or whether its just 100% mitigation of damage on succesfull dodge.

Typically things like grazing/glancing blows come from a difference in level between the attacker and defender and since Fractured doesn't have levels, I doubt we'll see that type of mechanic.

Evasion is usually full damage avoidance and doesn't count as a hit so things like "on hit" effects wouldn't apply. I don't think there is a Dodge stat, pretty sure it's just Evasion although numerous texts in the game mention "dodge" rather than "evade".

Damage mitigation is something different than damage avoidance (evading) in that it would count as a hit otherwise there'd be no damage to mitigate. So things like on hit effects say blind, slow, etc might still take hold even if damage is mitigated to zero due to abilities, armor, blocking, etc.

• @kellewic Typically they do, but for example Pillars of Eternity offered passives that granted better defence through conversion of crit->hit->graze->miss and passives are in Fractured as well, only called "talents". But youre probably right.

I know, just was curious, because people generally dislike the fact that passive block would reduce incoming dmg to 0 just as with "saves mechanic" from ADaD (its RNG not skill). Evading is basically the same complete nullification of dmg. Active evade (moving from spot where you expect hard hit or some kind of jumping / charging out of the way of attack or skill that offers like 1 second of blocking / absorb) would take skill and timing, passive one seems either useless or OP (depending on RNG).

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Just have some question regarding crits.

So far Dexterity gives some minor bonus to crit chance and perception gives up to 4% (on per 18).

Only Perception will give you bonuses to critical damage and critical chance.

Will we get crit chance based on equipment (so far I´ve only seen crit damage on jewellery and helmet), through passive talents or buffs (spells / potions)?

Yes, you will have crit chance based on equipment (some weapons will have more chance to crit), through your talent tree, with spells that will enhance your critical damage, enchanting and probably also with potions.

Or will skills offer +X% to crit chance to crit / will every skill have its own chance to crit?

For damage balancing logic, it will depend on the spell, probably quite all the"skill shot" spells will have a chance to crit (like the fireball).

Also will there be way to reduce opponent´s chance to crit me ? It was stated, that dexterity should help, but in tables i´ve only seen bonus to evade. Will luck be involved in both crit chance and crit resist ?

Evasion will increase the chances to dodge an attack (so also a crit one), luck works the same way. Apart from these statistic things, there will be some spells that will allow you to decrease/cancel the opponent's crit chance.

Thanks, @Znirf for the easy breakdown on how crits work. I'm one of those people for whom game mechanics are almost never intuitive. I know that some folks find them simple to grok, but I need to have everything spelled out.

This community is awesome for that! I really appreciate y'all! 🥇 🥇 🥇

• @Znirf The stats table I´ve seen somewhere in this forum must be out of date then 🙂 Thanks a lot for info !

@Znirf said in Critical strikes:

Evasion will increase the chances to dodge an attack (so also a crit one), luck works the same way. Apart from these statistic things, there will be some spells that will allow you to decrease/cancel the opponent's crit chance

So there will be a skill/ equipment/ build set that players can work towards to completely nullify crit based enemies? SWEET!!

So, in PvP, are we gonna be able to view an opponent players gear (at the risk of getting killed while we do), as so we can potentially swap to gear to counter them?

Or will it be based on our knowledge of what all the armour looks like on the different races? (which would be really fckn sweet, lets be real)

Normally games have chance to miss based on mobs stats, so in a level based game, chance to miss basically mostly depends on mobs level, and in a game without levels chance to miss mostly depends on mob type (what stats he has, how much dodge and similar).

So if your chance to miss vs a particular mob is, lets say, 15%, then you only need 15% hit on your gear (talents) to be hit capped vs that mob, and any extra hit is "wasted stat".

So hit is only "better" then crit until you get hit capped, after that crit takes priority.

There is always lots of math involved in these calculations, and I'm not sure how all mobs will look like in fractured, but I bet there will be different types of monsters stats wise, and we will have to do much exploration and investigation to determine what stats will be most efficient for us against that particular monster.

This is why in Fractured will will need to keep and maintain multiple sets of gear, and combine those alongside our skill decks, to gain most efficient performance against particular monsters / bosses.

So you can't really discuss here is hit more important or crit is 😉 maybe against some monster there will be no chance to miss at all, who knows.

Every single monster will have its particular stats, and what stats are "best for us in those circumstances" will be found out later on.

Just have some question regarding crits.

Will we get crit chance based on equipment (so far I´ve only seen crit damage on jewellery and helmet), through passive talents or buffs (spells / potions)?

Yes, you will have crit chance based on equipment (some weapons will have more chance to crit), through your talent tree, with spells that will enhance your critical damage, enchanting and probably also with potions.

Or will skills offer +X% to crit chance to crit / will every skill have its own chance to crit?

For damage balancing logic, it will depend on the spell, probably quite all the"skill shot" spells will have a chance to crit (like the fireball).

Evasion will increase the chances to dodge an attack (so also a crit one), luck works the same way. Apart from these statistic things, there will be some spells that will allow you to decrease/cancel the opponent's crit chance.

you dont see a problem with putting critical damage and chance behind one attribute? because it will be a problem later on when gear stats start to climb. Perception could be increase crit chance but crit damage should be another stat. this also deters single stat stacking which was tried in other games and didnt work out. even Luck, if a stat, could be used for Crit Damage.

Are you sure, as with Dexterity at a minimum of 11, you also had 1% crit chance in Alpha 1

@Jetah said in Critical strikes:

you dont see a problem with putting critical damage and chance behind one attribute? because it will be a problem later on when gear stats start to climb. Perception could be increase crit chance but crit damage should be another stat. this also deters single stat stacking which was tried in other games and didnt work out. even Luck, if a stat, could be used for Crit Damage.

The maximum value for stat will already be maxed out on 25 (not implemented in alpha 1 yet). Splitting crit chance and crit damage over 2 stats could complicate building your character. On a human you can only max 2 stats (to 18), 3 is possible but then you get severe penalties on the rest of the stats as you have to withdraw points there and get below the 10 value.

Melee in general will focus on Strength and Perception, Caster on Intellect and Perception, with some small variation in the minor stats. Taking crit damage out of Perception would mean a complete overhowl of the way your charater will be build. I don't see the need for that. Or do I miss something here ?

@Yitra
    it's capped at 25 right now. who's to say in 5 years the cap wont be 50. i'm saying putting something that can be perfectly built with 1 stat is bad. once the min-max figures out if it's the best stat then you'll only see builds that focus on it. splitting them forces the user to make a decision if they want more hit or more damage or spend the points for both.

i've played games where crit builds were the fotm/meta because the amount of crit damage you could stack was absurd. it was an rng built but when you did crit it was over for the enemy.

i'm just saying i've seen it before so i understand how it can end up bad in a pvp game.

• @kellewic Also I hope number bonuses on items will be slightly changed or at least we´ll have chance to check item / skill bonuses in some "online builder / database" before creating character because making 21 int caster and later getting +5 int necklace in game with cap of 25 will be wasting stats.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Yitra said in Critical strikes:

Are you sure, as with Dexterity at a minimum of 11, you also had 1% crit chance in Alpha 1

Yes Yitra, we decided to make a change for a matter of balance, now only Perception gives you bonuses to critical damage and chance. 🙂

@Yitra said in Critical strikes:

Yes Yitra, we decided to make a change for a matter of balance, now only Perception gives you bonuses to critical damage and chance. 🙂

can we get a breakdown on the stats and what they modify before the next test? (and update any FAQ and NEWS if needed)

So many stats so few points to spread around lol. Even in dnd I've always found it hard to figure out the best setup for stats to build my character.

@Farlander Just make them cool. have a vision for your character. you cant win D&D and I don't intent to try to win Fractured (if such a thing is possible). Only create a character that is cool to me (and hopefully doesn't die all the time!)

The more possible combinations, the better. It means there will be much more variety in player builds as well, and maybe, just maybe, we will not end up with hundreds of clones walking around, exactly the same. 🙂

But a lots of work needs to be done on balancing different schools, so not all players flock to same type of school, because it's OP compared to others.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured