Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Pluto said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

Wrong. You are significantly better off backing now versus the KS. Without the KS, they wouldn’t be at the position that they are.

Wrong? Er... we can all see how much the KS raised - €111,662 for those who don't want to check - which clearly hasn't paid for the team to be making the game all this time, including before the KS. While that KS money is nice, sure, there's no way it's the backbone, or even a significant amount, in terms of what it will cost to make the game over the life of the project. Do you know how much this stuff actually costs? Possibly not, given what you're saying. To pretend that the KS somehow saved the game and is the only reason the game is being made (or whatever you're inferring by "they wouldn't be in the position they are"), is actually the wrong comment being made here. Not mine.

Long story short, I'm delighted new people are signing up to the game, spurred on by the pledge discounts, which largely equate to what the early-bird rates were on KS. More people and more money is GREAT for the game. You can pooh-pooh that all you like, but I think anyone with their eye on the bigger picture cannot see it as anything but a great outcome.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Canterbury

Of course, I don't know the entirety of their financials. However, the process usually involves trying to find funding outside of crowdfunding. In order to secure that funding, it is important to show interest in the game. (Kickstarter). That's usually how the process has worked.

If they had just slaved away in their offices, I kind of doubt their current prototype would have accrued the funding they are currently at. So yes, the Kickstarter has helped the process I'm sure. Hmm... who's missing the big picture now? You honestly don't have to be a game developer to understand that process. It's the same with ANY project. You need to show the need and potential return before your client is going to put down the dough.

I'll just ignore all those other personal attacks.

Edit:
    I also find it interesting that all the love for the process is coming from those benefiting from it 😉

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Pluto

they had funding before going to kickstarter. i'm wanting to say they were working on the game for at least 1 year before the KS campaign. someone out there put some cash into the idea of the game.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Jetah
    Of course, but external funding isn't one and done. It's a constant discussion with your benefactor.

It's the same thing with any project. You pitch an idea, they front some money. You have a prototype, oh... that gets some interest. You show potential return on investments... now THAT gets some interest.

Obviously I don't know specifics, but I think it's rather naive to think the Kickstarter didn't impact external funding 😉

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

So @Pluto if I have this right... you agree with me that KS was a help, but not the be-all and end-all of funding? Great.

Clearly the team had money before the KS and while €111,662 raised at KS might encourage further investment, we're not talking about heaps and heaps of money there. Indeed, I would argue quite strongly that the €75,575 raised AFTER the KS is almost as impressive, given that it shows interest over a longer period and... whaddaya know... some of that money is coming through people buying pledges that you don't think they should be able to buy at a tiny, tiny, tiny discount.

And something we haven't even touched on yet... a lot of this extra money coming from the sale will be from original KS backers who are upgrading their pledges. So in some (many?) cases, you're kind of having a go at people who were original backers anyway, and are using the sale to throw more money into the pot. Which is, as I keep saying, not a bad thing.

You also say, "I also find it interesting that all the love for the process is coming from those benefiting from it..." which isn't really as clever a comment as you seem to think it is. Because at the end of the day, we are ALL benefiting from more money being thrown into the pot. Unless you think there are people who want the game to stay small, or even fail, by not attracting further backers or money? Do get back to me on that, because that is such a strange way to view the game.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Canterbury

You got me incorrectly. The Kickstarter was extremely influential. It’s a proof of concept to show your benefactors the viability of the product. Yes, further funding will continually increase the benefactors interest I’m sure. But having a cash grab that shoves it in the face of your earlier backers isn’t the best way to do it.

The sale was irrelevant, are you able to say that these funds wouldn’t be raised without the sale itself? As you state it’s so itty bitty tiny, apparently it’s irrelevant. Ergo, no need for sale. The simple fact that the packs were ending was enough of a spur to get people to back.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Pluto said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

The sale was irrelevant, are you able to say that these funds wouldn’t be raised without the sale itself? As you state it’s so itty bitty tiny, apparently it’s irrelevant. Ergo, no need for sale. The simple fact that the packs were ending was enough of a spur to get people to back.

Absolute agreement from me that the packs going away is 'a' driver for people. But to give a small discount - again, the discounts are largely on-par with what the KS earlybird prices were - is a little EXTRA sugar on top. And to go back to where I started commenting on this... I think that little bit of sugar is perfectly OK. If it gets a few more people over the line - great. Because those people will have friends and other guilds and will open up even more pathways to future sales. Because, at the end of the day, more sales is what the game needs. Both during development and after development. And the team will no doubt employ multiple methods to get those sales. Unique items? Keen pricing? Whatever it takes. This is the part of crowd funding that doesn't sit well with some people for various reasons, I do realise that. But do we want the game to succeed or not? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

As far as i remember.
    Any new cosmetic stuff and items added to the new pledges, will be given to all pledgers of old too.

So you don't even need to buy the "seasonal" pledges, some other games do to get extra founding.
    (Crowfall which i like is doing that + sales ... on them cosmetics too. Ashes of Creation is doing it too. Only one who doesn't change up their "pledges" are Dual Universe atm, of the ones i am watching. And they gotten 20 mio of external founding. Duo being just really interesting for some investors, tech wise and so on.)

But lets stop.
    People who paid more will be salty.
    People who could upgrade now, will be happy.
    New people wont understand the problem.
    And someone who does the math, kind of argues "why care?".

The best that could happen is.
    DS drops PR and gets another 100k of money in this month. Which would help pitch the game to investors, with favorable terms for them. Unlikely~
    What's more likely to happen, is a few thousands more in sales. On pledges, they could jus thave retired and put up new ones with less stuff in it.

As someone who paid earlier, I say excellent job with the sale. If it brings in new people who were on the edge, awesome. Personally, I'm a "the more the merrier", and don't see the purpose in being upset because "I" didn't get the best price, just because I was an earlier purchaser. Also, personally, I think it's more beneficial to be pleased at the growth of the community than the fact I paid a few bucks more for my pledge. But I've always been a "we" more than "me" person.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Greenfox

Agreement on a lot there. Dual universe has changed up their pledges however, much like dynamight, novaquark sold Kickstarter pledges on their main site for awhile. But they cost the same as the Kickstarter, no discounts.

Kickstarter backers also get the items found in the new packs, which is a nice bonus I guess... but once again, that’s not important to me.

“But lets stop.
    People who paid more will be salty.
    People who could upgrade now, will be happy.
    New people wont understand the problem.
    And someone who does the math, kind of argues "why care?".”

Agreed 100%, except for the why care. There are a 100 reasons to care 😉

Personally I feel if you have that kind of cash to throw down on a game why would a 10% or so difference make any difference to you. If you spent more than you should have....well we have all been there and had some regrets later lol.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Farlander I know that feeling.

Landmark.
    Novous Aeternum.
    We're my big fails of crowdfunding up to now. One was aroudn 100 bucks the other around 150 bucks gone "puff"~

In the end it's a gamble. The only good thing about it is, that i had enjoyed these two for alot of hours. So i got my money worths entertainment out of them.

If i can get 2 hours enjoyment per 1 dollar investment. It's fine even if the game totaly fails to deliver a realese in the end.

I spent like 200 hours on Dual Universe Stuff to date. I would call that a sufficient return, + it seems DU will deliver in the end ;3. And i am hopefull DS will do the same with Fractured.

rolls the dices Only chance and hard work of the devs, will tell us if this is a sucess at the end of 2020.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Farlander

I always pledge what I’m willing to lose, I won’t be going hungry if that’s what you’re implying. It IS however, a punch in the gut. I put a good chunk down in good faith, but then they go around and sell the packs off for 100 less? It makes me feel cheap. They didn’t care about my contribution, they just want to move the unowned packs.

If I can get the 5/hr enjoyment out of a contribution I am satisfied if all things are equal. But things aren’t all equal here, even if I put 1,000 hours into fractured, I’ll always feel tossed aside.

I actually haven’t gotten too far into dual universe, the alpha is just a bit out of reach for my group. We have been putting a good amount into SC though, which is a lot of fun with a good group. I’m well above my mark on SC already.

@Pluto It is common practice for purchase prices of games to go down though. You did get into alpha 1 while those new guys coming around won't get in until alpha 2. They missed an alpha phase if it helps you justifying their lower cost. Their cost is roughly 10-20% lower? I don't even buy games on Steam unless they start hitting the 50% or higher from my wishlist. That's when I felt I have gotten a deal lol.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

"When prices go down, those who already bought want the lower price, but, if prices go up, those who already bought don’t want to write Tesla a check. So it goes." - Elon Musk

@Corben brilliant and 100% nail on the head

Even I am maybe going to benefit from this discount, I kind of agree with @Pluto . Those who pledge earlier should be in better position not worse. This kind of behaviour from developers behalf signals, that why buy the game today if I can wait and buy it later cheaper? 🤔

@Farlander said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

@Pluto It is common practice for purchase prices of games to go down though. You did get into alpha 1 while those new guys coming around won't get in until alpha 2. They missed an alpha phase if it helps you justifying their lower cost. Their cost is roughly 10-20% lower? I don't even buy games on Steam unless they start hitting the 50% or higher from my wishlist. That's when I felt I have gotten a deal lol.

Discounts are common with final products and even then after the game has been on markets for a while or another expansion has been released already.

Early fundings are more important for companies than money what comes later, because those can make your project possible and secure the early development. Those early investors are more valueable than those who jumps later on board and not vice versa. That is why putting early funders in worse position is more like a slap on the face and bad way to say thank you.

Yeah some people had priviledge to play the game few days with couple of unfinished features.. that surely warms their heart. 😖

I am most suprised, that people who have been slapped on the face are actually protecting this kind of act.. 🤦

@Eurav said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

..having to pay more on something because I bought it earlier while not having any advantage of having it earlier? WTF?

You paid more for the exact same thing (you don´t gain anything for having it earlier) just because you pledged between Early Bird and this sale. Just seems like a "punishment" for people who did pledge in that timeframe..

Exactly! This does not make much sense.

@Tuoni

you could wait but you'd have to skip out on any test phases. that info is worth more than the packs they're selling (not the limited multi-thousand euro).

first to adopt usually pay more for that privilege. I can get a free iphone 7 (or whatever they're offering now) but someone spent 800+ on it 3-4 years ago.

any store is assumed to have things on sale. if they were offering all packs 50%, or more, off and I payed full price then I'd agree with the frustration.

@Jetah said in Pledge Packs Are Going... With A Sale!:

first to adopt usually pay more for that privilege.

Pay more for the priviledge to invest money earlier to get less benefits.. sounds quite awesome priviledge. 😂

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured