Idea for the Game: Player Beacons

• Alright, so I haven't been able to play Fractured yet and I have only taken brief looks at the news, so please tell me if this is already added or my information is off.
    Without further ado, the idea I have is to help players who want to have the benefits of a business while also having enough space for a farm: beacons. The idea of a beacon is to have it reveal a certain location to all players as if it were a normal location on the map.
    The beacon will show a small icon that can be named by the player who places it down and (possibly) can show the services they offer. Because of the possibility that this may discourage people from living in towns and cities, the idea is that beacons will be expensive enough to encourage people to either live in cities or live alone, but not too expensive so as to make people believe the item is overpriced and completely not worth it.
    Another problem with this idea is that people may have too many of them and they will clutter the screen, so I have a few guidelines that will prevent that:

• Beacons cannot, by any circumstance, be placed in an area that is already labelled by the map
    • Beacons can be hidden when looking at the map
    • Beacons cannot be placed too close to one another
    • A beacon must be located in a building OR a beacon must be located near a building
    • A player can only have one beacon active and/or placed down at a time
    • Beacons will look different than normal map icon

And that is my proposal for beacons to be added. Now all I can do is hope that it has not already been added and that all of this work wasn't for nothing.

• Community Manager

@AviatorBlack Players can only place their vendors/shops in cities. There wouldn't be much use for such beacons. 😉

• @Specter knew there was something I didnt know

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

And thank goodness for that too. Judging by every other MMO I have played, being able to set up shop anywhere tends to lead to clutter everywhere.

@Specter thats good to hear!!!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Esoba said in Idea for the Game: Player Beacons:

And thank goodness for that too. Judging by every other MMO I have played, being able to set up shop anywhere tends to lead to clutter everywhere.

Well, this means that there will just be clutter in the main cities, which isn't ideal either.

Being able to set up shop (on Syndesia or Tartaros) anywhere could even work, but only under condition that this shop can be destroyed and robbed by other players.

That would prevent clutter. 😉

@Gothix

Heh, ain't that the truth. But sadly even if it did work on two of the planets, the beastmen just aren't set up that way.

@Belligero said in Idea for the Game: Player Beacons:

(...) isn't ideal either(...)

What's your suggestion? While it might certainly not be 'ideal', it sounds a lot better than the alternative?

Rather than beacons I hope we see a nice mapping utility similar to UO Automap or UO Mapper. I'd like to see a pullup map that will mark icons and tags on it so that I can find my way around 😀

As far as marketplaces go I know I was involved in at least one discussion where it was hoped that each city would only have 1 market location where all players uploaded their goods.

Guilds that control the zones could "rent" marketing planks near roads in their zone where people, that want to pay for this service, could promote their shop with a poster and directions to it.

In cities that aren't controlled by guilds, money for this service would be payed to NPCs (gold sink).

There would be limited spots for this posters, and people that want to rent these spots would compete once per week (or month), highest bid wins.

@Specter said in Idea for the Game: Player Beacons:

@AviatorBlack Players can only place their vendors/shops in cities. There wouldn't be much use for such beacons. 😉

I've played games where the lag was so bad you couldn't walk through town.

Yeah lag will be a worry if everyone and their brother decides they're a merchant.

I hope the vendor system is similar to SWTOR where all the players upload their items to a vendor stall. Then the city has a few stalls located in different spots around the city where all the same items can be viewed that to me is ideal from a merchant point of view. You don't have to advertise and players don't have to search. The stall could have buy-it-now or auction style options. Players will naturally price fix on who can under cut the most depending on supply and demand only...not selling location. Those items made with the rarer materials would be able to be auctioned off at the highest price without having to setup an auction event.

I loved SWTOR but I just got tired of the level grind on 16 toons. That is something that interests me here.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

It will be nice if, into each city, people could put their merchant only in a restricted common area - like a market place. Everyone who go there should be able to walk around looking at each different shop and decide what to buy.

There may be only a limited number of slot in each market and the price to buy one for X days may increase or decrease considering how appealing and big is the city itself. That way when a specific city market is full people will be encouraged to move around to other places to offer their goods, creating more opportunity for everyone to travel, explore and meet others.

@Lightspoon Im just looking forward that certain materials can only be gotten from the south for example and will sell for way more in the north the further out you go , travel from one end of the world to the other dragging the biggest caravans i can trading in hard to come buy supplies

@Jetah said in Idea for the Game: Player Beacons:

I've played games where the lag was so bad you couldn't walk through town.

Out of curiosity, are you talking first person games, or third person from top over the shoulder (somewhat Isometric)?

@Logain
    3rd person but the camera was moveable similar to WoW, Tera, Wildstar, etc. It was an Asian import so probably designed with low latency which doesn't work well in the US.

I just remember being in the main city and had to wait for my system to load everything. it was awful because most were ads for 'services'.

@Jetah said in Idea for the Game: Player Beacons:

(...)camera was moveable similar to WoW, Tera, Wildstar, etc(...)

Which means you had to load large chunks of 'area' at a time. In Fractured, that shouldn't be the case though, since your field of view is very limited in comparison. Technically, if the developers consider optimization and SpatialOS carters for this, the impact would be drastically different.

@Logain
    depending on how many fit in view and how the area is loaded. it could be possible that the engine pre-renders the area so you don't lag.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured