Real Crafting

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Znirf
    I dont remember the crafting spotlight. if it isn't out.. when?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'd like crafting to be more dynamic, rather than static recipes for the same item with some randomized set stats.

Maybe you could experiment and tweak a few ingredients and change a few core bonuses or passives the equipment gives.

@Znirf No worries. I understand the game is in flux. Alpha is also a great time to try things to see if they work, tweak, and even alter dramatically things that don't work. Has it been decided how many stats will be incorporated upon an item? UO did something like this when they revamped their item system. They added in several different stats for each type of elemental defense/attack type. With these stats being different and randomized you could essentially make almost every item crafted in the game unique. Diablo even had this similar system where the name, if good enough, came with a randomized legendary name.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I am 100% for improved crafting, although I don't think it has to be something like this. I don't think Fractured has the time and budget for a really major system overhaul on this, but my own ideal crafting would be having at least a dozen crafting focuses, which each has their own specialties that change the results in ways that others cannot simply copy.

The two could be combined, where effort into crafting gives more points toward a specialization setup to get new looks, better quality, and so on. The problem is that such a system would inevitably get a large attack by those who want to do it all themselves, and would realize they don't want to spend the time and effort on 4000 alts to do so...

I'm hoping good resource distribution will make even a simpler crafting system engaging. If there are three continents per world, and each continent has unique resources, that should mean all crafters will have difficulty making the best items, even with the skill to do it.

@Roccandil I like that idea. Plus it encourages trade or raids between the worlds.

@Roccandil

Prometheus has said that some planets wont have certain resources, at all. one example was Tartaros would be rich in stone while human and beast wont have any or very few. Tartaros might be low on iron where as human might be abundant.

• Every game Ive ever played that promises a economy that lives and breathes through the players has not done well. The same with items that are all player crafted. If the resources are piled in a few areas, then some will have all and others none. Its my hope that does not happen here.

There will be enough resource trading going on that no crafters on any planet will ever lack resources.
    The only difference will be that some items are cheaper to craft, and some more expensive, depending on where you are, but every crafter will be able to craft everything.
    This is how things look now. It is a long way till full game release though, so lets hold on to our sits and observe...

I'm personally hoping for some kind of system (regardless of the details) where not everyone can craft everything, at least not equally.

Everyone being able to craft every item just completely diminishes the need for trade.... and trading is one of the cornerstones of every sandbox MMO.

@Gothix Game does not need to restrict the freedom of choise how many professions and how deep players can dive into those. Timewall and different interests of players will keep the system and trading in balance. Basic sandbox stuff.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Farlander said in Real Crafting:

Has it been decided how many stats will be incorporated upon an item?

Not yet. But I can anticipate that there will be two ways that you will have to power up your armors/weapons..etc

1. Through crafting, using different materials to customize the stats
    2. Enchanting system supported by a UI

@Jetah said in Real Crafting:

I dont remember the crafting spotlight. if it isn't out.. when?

No, there isn't any spotlight about the crafting system yet, as you can see is a topic we still need to discuss and define in a better way.

@Gothix said in Real Crafting:

I'm personally hoping for some kind of system (regardless of the details) where not everyone can craft everything, at least not equally.

I think that the search for the right materials will prevent that possibility. For example, if a specific kind of steel could be found only in Tartaros, the creation of the related piece of armor will become quite an undertaking if you are a human or a beastman.

I can see players having alts on the different planets to sidestep the resource availability issue lol.

@Farlander

Yes, but I suspect transportation of goods will still be an issue (how easy will it be to get resources from Tartaros to Arboreus, and vice versa?).

@Roccandil
    we'll use a space elevator!!

@Roccandil said in Real Crafting:

how easy will it be to get resources from Tartaros to Arboreus, and vice versa?

I don't think that's an issue at all.

Lets assume glowing brimestone can only be found on Tartaros, and thus it's value is a lot higher if sold on Arboreus market. So now player (or a group) A starts the transportation of glowing brimestone to Arboreus to sell it there, but they are intercepted by multiple other groups (B, C, D,...) wanting to steal their good.

It doesn't really matter even if 15 other groups will fight them over it, because whichever group wins, that group will still not return glowing brimestone back to Tartaros, because its value is lower there. That group will still end up transporting that brimestone to Arboreus to be sold there for better money.

So glowing brimestone will still reach Arboreus for sure, it's just the question of which group will end up bringing it there in the end. Crafters in Arboreus will definitely be able to buy it there and craft stuff using it. This is why resource availability will never be an issue, regardless of how dangerous transportation is.

@Gothix

If demons attack the transport they dont have to bring it anywhere.

@Gothix

But how are the victorious demons going to sell anything in Arboreus?

If nothing else, getting the best raw materials sounds expensive: and that's still a real limitation caused by resource distribution.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Gothix I think a way to implement what you want is to have a quality system. something like path of exile, where items and objects have a quality percentage, and the higher the quality, the more the stats change for the better. I feel that if a blacksmith crafted an item, he'd craft that item. but if he succeeded at the minigame, or passed some goal in it, he'd get a quality bonus. The minigame would be skill based and not rng. each success would increase quality up to a limit.

Or...like we have done in other games a community has a guild on both sides of the border where their alts play and one group meets the other half way to make the pickup. Large organized communities have benefits. Back in the day we had to use instant messenger programs. Now with real time chat things are so much easier to coordinate.

@Farlander

Interceptions are much easier to coordinate too! 🙂

I still don't know how the "border" between planets actually behaves, though.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured