Real Crafting

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Have you ever played a game where there was nothing in loot drops but resources? I have and it is extremely boring to hunt. So much to the point you don't even want to go hunt. What is the point of combat in a pve area if you have no loot to look forward to when you kill stuff? What would even be the point of raising your combat skills if you live in pve land? Everyone goes out to kill things for the possibility of what will drop as treasure. That's the thrill that keeps you going for hours on end. So you are suggesting we camp a spawn entirely for some special resource that may drop so you can maybe craft something with it? I like special loot dropping even if it is purely cosmetic decorative items for your house or special blueprints that let you craft one item.

@Gothix and @Roccandil Now you understood me wrong. I do not want either finished products on loot tables in game where player crafting is one of the main cores, unless those are player crafted. That does not mean loot tables needs to be empty...

@Farlander said in Real Crafting:

I like special loot dropping even if it is purely cosmetic decorative items for your house or special blueprints that let you craft one item.

These are good examples of what loot tables can contain on top of currency and common resources. Rare resources are also good motivators on top of cosmetics. If you can not craft something by yourself from those rare resources, then maybe you can sell those for good profit.

@Farlander I'm not talking about no loot drop at all.

Animals would drop skins, fur, bones, paws,...
    Elementals could drop some brimestone, or even magical resources like elemental fire, etc.
    Humanoids could drop items that they are currently wearing only, so if humanoid wears leather coat and uses sword, then he can only drop 1 leather coat (the kind he is wearing) and 1 of that sword.

It makes no sense that bear drops 2 handed mace or plate armor piece.

This resources can also be rare, so you could hunt bears for chance to get that rare claw (some RNG in this aspect is ok).

So hunting makes a lots of sense. It just isn't unrealistic, and bear doesn't drop you full set of armor. You hunt for resources and craft your own armor yourself.

It also makes no sense that bear drops blueprint...

Perhaps humanoid can drop that, but again not any humanoid, but only the ones that make sense.

Have you ever played a game where there was nothing in loot drops but resources? I have and it is extremely boring to hunt. So much to the point you don't even want to go hunt. What is the point of combat in a pve area if you have no loot to look forward to when you kill stuff? What would even be the point of raising your combat skills if you live in pve land? Everyone goes out to kill things for the possibility of what will drop as treasure. That's the thrill that keeps you going for hours on end. So you are suggesting we camp a spawn entirely for some special resource that may drop so you can maybe craft something with it? I like special loot dropping even if it is purely cosmetic decorative items for your house or special blueprints that let you craft one item.

I have to admit that before this comment i had completely forgotten about Eve Online and the drone npcs. they only drop resources and it's a place that is mostly avoided because no combat focused player wants resources. The game has ranked/tiered gear so getting better gear is acquired via drops.

Loot drops in Gothic always made sense: no random gear, just what the enemy carried. I really liked that. Rats dropping gauntlets, on the other hand, never made sense to me. 😛

I would imagine, however, in a game where some mobs dropped every type of loot, and others only dropped common resources, no one would farm the latter kind of mob.

@Roccandil

there's a rat king which uses magic to control rats, the lowest of beast. these creatures are able to scavenge the lands undetected. though the magic of the rat king they're able to carry large items in their stomachs as though they're just grains of sand. kill the rats undoes the magic thus allowing some items to revert to their original size.

really, just have some creativity and magic can solve all your problems!

@Jetah said in Real Crafting:

@Roccandil

there's a rat king which uses magic to control rats, the lowest of beast. these creatures are able to scavenge the lands undetected. though the magic of the rat king they're able to carry large items in their stomachs as though they're just grains of sand. kill the rats undoes the magic thus allowing some items to revert to their original size.

really, just have some creativity and magic can solve all your problems!

Sounds like a niffler. 😛

@Jetah said in Real Crafting:

I have to admit that before this comment i had completely forgotten about Eve Online and the drone npcs. they only drop resources and it's a place that is mostly avoided because no combat focused player wants resources. The game has ranked/tiered gear so getting better gear is acquired via drops.

After posting this I came across the Monster Hunter series knockoff, a MH lite called Dauntless. it's only resource drop based. it isn't bad but you dont lose gear either. the MH series seems to be pretty popular, within that niche, so it's possible to offer a game mechanic where only resources drop from mobs.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured