Spell crafting

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Sorry beforehand if this has been asked before, but as my search has not provided me with a relevent topic to this, I will start a new topic.

Will there be the option to create own spells, i.e. spell crafting?
    I know there will be some spells that are standard, but would also like the option to create your own spells from those you already know and making them your reference in spellcrafting.
    Some system like - element, shape, type and enhancement.
    So if you learned Fireball, it would open the following in your spellcraft: Element: Fire, Shape: Ball, Type: Projectile, Enhancement: Explosion
    If you also learned Lightningbolt, you would get: Element: Lightning, Shape: Bolt, Type: Discharge, Enhancement: None
    And Ice lance: Element: Ice, Shape: Lance, Type: Projectile, Enhancement: Shatter
    Which would allow you to spellcraft using the already known types. So you could for example create Frozen orb: Element: Ice, Shape: Ball, Type: Projectile, Enhancement: Explosion. So you would be able to throw an ice orb that explodes on impacting creating a small AoE freeze effect.
    Or Firelance: Element: Fire, Shape: Lance, Type: Projectile, Enhancement: Shatter - you would throw a firelance that shatters into smaller lances on impact hitting those behind the initial target.
    Or Electroball: Element: Lightning, Shape: Ball, Type: Projectile, Enhancement: Explosion, which would make you throw a lightning ball that explodes on impact creating an electrocuted area on impact.
    And so on.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

hmmm this would be cool

@Meiki Fractured will not have spellcrafting. You will only be able to select between a few alternative versions of each spell.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Specter
    it would be pretty neat though. not at launch but if there was ever a need to redo the knowledge system, spell crafting would be sweet!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Specter Although it is a shame, there is still hope that it might come some time later, for example in a DLC with the name Magic On-leash-ed.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Jetah said in Spell crafting:

(...)if there was ever a need to redo the knowledge system, spell crafting would be sweet!

Would that really work well with the idea of horizontal progression and unlocking skills through exploring/fighting certain creatures?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Logain Well it is still about you going out and exploring and unlocking the skills, as you still first need to learn the spells before you can "play around" with their incantations and attributes, and it would widen the horizontal progression as it adds you the ability to create spells that are similar in power but more suited for certain encounters.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Meiki said in Spell crafting:

(...)still about you going out and exploring and unlocking the skills (...)adds you the ability to create spells that are similar in power but more suited for certain encounters.

That is the point though. If you can craft alternative versions, you unlock once.
    If you have to do that for each variant of the spell though, there is more 'work/progress' involved.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Logain
    My thoughts exactly. Since Fractured has done away with the "strength" progression mechanics it is important to retain all aspects of horizontal progression. (imho of course)

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Hi, I'm not very fond of this system for Fractured. And I like playing a mage with a lot of potential.
    In this old Mindscape Legend game you have 12 effect runes and 4 directional runes. At the beginning you have only 2 runes : 1 missile and 1 effect .With gold you up your power, and the use of the runes is limited by ingredient you possess. It's little similar to what @meiki suggest.

The problem the sorcerer is weak at start but very powerful at the end, it's not balanced at all. In this game, at the moment you have the full pack of runes you wipe army and dungeons by yourself (your 3 allies are in bones corps state in inventory and serve only to resolve puzzle).
    So ok to this system in a solo game mode or in a game where you have only mage/sorcerer but in horizontal game progression better not.
    @meiki I recommend you to play Legend, you could find it in some Abandonware Store, despite is vintage look if you like RPG and the rune system you'll have a great time !

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Gofrit Well it is not about making the spells more powerful but about having the option to switch elements and effects at will. So you can easily prepare for combat with more focus on AoE or single target and also a specific element, or so you can just have a fire lance instead of ice lance if you so wish. But yeah, it would be probably pretty unnecesary as long as there is a wide variety of spells already provided directly.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@Meiki
    I'll create this spell :
    Ball+electric+aoe+ice+missile+heal
    Just imagine this chain of event :
    I use an electric ball to paralyze my enemy, and since I know aoe zone, once my target touched the aoe trigger and an ice area generated around my target trigger a ring of healing missile going to the exterior of the area
    A fun spell to fight a boss

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Logain
    yeah. explore, learn the base skills then learn how to manipulate those skills. then create your own.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Logain
    yeah. explore, learn the base skills then learn how to manipulate those skills. then create your own.

I understood that. My point was that you effectively cut the 'progression through unlocking' part by a magnitude that way.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Logain
    not really. you'd have to find abilities to change the ones you have. you'd have to find a freeze ability to add that, you'd have to find a blast aoe to add that, etc. it could be setup so you need those 2 on the skill bar and be used for a while as combos before you're able to craft the new spell.

what it would do is open up progression. if attributes increased the limit on how many skill types could be combined then getting more abilities would be a huge advantage.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

(...)not really. you'd have to find abilities to change the ones you have. you'd have to find a freeze ability to add that, you'd have to find a blast aoe to add that, etc(...)

The difference is rather simple. If you have to unlock them once to use as ingredients, it is a small amount, if you have to unlock each combination separately, it is a far greater amount.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Logain said in Spell crafting:

(...)not really. you'd have to find abilities to change the ones you have. you'd have to find a freeze ability to add that, you'd have to find a blast aoe to add that, etc(...)

The difference is rather simple. If you have to unlock them once to use as ingredients, it is a small amount, if you have to unlock each combination separately, it is a far greater amount.

why would you have to unlock them separately? if you know 2 spells then you can combine them. there shouldn't be a need to have to learn a combination recipe.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

(...)why would you have to unlock them separately(...)

Some people want a feeling of persistent progress in order to keep playing long term. Since there are no levels to gain in Fractured, the only way to ensure long term persistent progress is through continuously unlocking new abilities. The more of them, with the least amount of content creation time for the developers, the longer a person can 'work' on that task.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Logain Well spell crafting makes a perfect match for that, as you can have multitude of different spells and their attributes, some even existing in only a single spell across the board, but such system would make it pretty easy to add or adjust the content of it, it also allows to have people look for the more rare spells and/or uncommon attributes - as it would allow you, the player, more options to customize your "spellbook". On the other hand without crafting, the content regarding spells is finite and requires the developers to always fully work on every spell. You could still have a base range of predefined spells and require the players to collect them all before a new progression system opens - which would be the collection of attributes. I.e. if you wanted to stretch the progression further without making some content obsolete by introducing spellcrafting, you could just simply have it that way - i.e. first learn all the spells, then pursue attributes and learn them to actually spellcraft.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Logain
    once you unlock all 400 abilities, you'll probably want to unlock the other 2 tiers, so now you have 1200 ability tiers to unlock. They've mentioned that some wont unlock for certain karma characters. If we were to craft spells then that 1200 could be limitless. maybe the crafting system requires a use limit before we're able to change that spell. maybe it requires certain rare materials, maybe both. it's an artificial progression that has to be coded once.

you'd still have your persistent progress because you needed to unlocked the base spells, now you can experiment with them. ice+fire, fire+water, poison+electric. and that's just a single tier system. imagine adding ice+water+electric. maybe water+ice+electric is something different. maybe electric+ice+water is different. what if we could craft 4 elements, how about 5 elements. and that doesn't include area effect, or other attributes.

a spell crafting system would be much deeper than we could imagine, AND because Fracture has spell combination it would make it so much deeper.

seriously just open your imagination and stop thinking about absolutes.

Copyright © 2019 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured