Spell crafting

• This post is deleted!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

hmmm this would be cool

• Community Manager

@Meiki Fractured will not have spellcrafting. You will only be able to select between a few alternative versions of each spell.

@Specter
    it would be pretty neat though. not at launch but if there was ever a need to redo the knowledge system, spell crafting would be sweet!

• This post is deleted!

@Jetah said in Spell crafting:

(...)if there was ever a need to redo the knowledge system, spell crafting would be sweet!

Would that really work well with the idea of horizontal progression and unlocking skills through exploring/fighting certain creatures?

• This post is deleted!

@Meiki said in Spell crafting:

(...)still about you going out and exploring and unlocking the skills (...)adds you the ability to create spells that are similar in power but more suited for certain encounters.

That is the point though. If you can craft alternative versions, you unlock once.
    If you have to do that for each variant of the spell though, there is more 'work/progress' involved.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Logain
    My thoughts exactly. Since Fractured has done away with the "strength" progression mechanics it is important to retain all aspects of horizontal progression. (imho of course)

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Hi, I'm not very fond of this system for Fractured. And I like playing a mage with a lot of potential.
    In this old Mindscape Legend game you have 12 effect runes and 4 directional runes. At the beginning you have only 2 runes : 1 missile and 1 effect .With gold you up your power, and the use of the runes is limited by ingredient you possess. It's little similar to what @meiki suggest.

The problem the sorcerer is weak at start but very powerful at the end, it's not balanced at all. In this game, at the moment you have the full pack of runes you wipe army and dungeons by yourself (your 3 allies are in bones corps state in inventory and serve only to resolve puzzle).
    So ok to this system in a solo game mode or in a game where you have only mage/sorcerer but in horizontal game progression better not.
    @meiki I recommend you to play Legend, you could find it in some Abandonware Store, despite is vintage look if you like RPG and the rune system you'll have a great time !

• This post is deleted!

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@Meiki
    I'll create this spell :
    Ball+electric+aoe+ice+missile+heal
    Just imagine this chain of event :
    I use an electric ball to paralyze my enemy, and since I know aoe zone, once my target touched the aoe trigger and an ice area generated around my target trigger a ring of healing missile going to the exterior of the area
    A fun spell to fight a boss

@Logain
    yeah. explore, learn the base skills then learn how to manipulate those skills. then create your own.

@Logain
    yeah. explore, learn the base skills then learn how to manipulate those skills. then create your own.

I understood that. My point was that you effectively cut the 'progression through unlocking' part by a magnitude that way.

@Logain
    not really. you'd have to find abilities to change the ones you have. you'd have to find a freeze ability to add that, you'd have to find a blast aoe to add that, etc. it could be setup so you need those 2 on the skill bar and be used for a while as combos before you're able to craft the new spell.

what it would do is open up progression. if attributes increased the limit on how many skill types could be combined then getting more abilities would be a huge advantage.

(...)not really. you'd have to find abilities to change the ones you have. you'd have to find a freeze ability to add that, you'd have to find a blast aoe to add that, etc(...)

The difference is rather simple. If you have to unlock them once to use as ingredients, it is a small amount, if you have to unlock each combination separately, it is a far greater amount.

@Logain said in Spell crafting:

(...)not really. you'd have to find abilities to change the ones you have. you'd have to find a freeze ability to add that, you'd have to find a blast aoe to add that, etc(...)

The difference is rather simple. If you have to unlock them once to use as ingredients, it is a small amount, if you have to unlock each combination separately, it is a far greater amount.

why would you have to unlock them separately? if you know 2 spells then you can combine them. there shouldn't be a need to have to learn a combination recipe.

(...)why would you have to unlock them separately(...)

Some people want a feeling of persistent progress in order to keep playing long term. Since there are no levels to gain in Fractured, the only way to ensure long term persistent progress is through continuously unlocking new abilities. The more of them, with the least amount of content creation time for the developers, the longer a person can 'work' on that task.

• This post is deleted!

@Logain
    once you unlock all 400 abilities, you'll probably want to unlock the other 2 tiers, so now you have 1200 ability tiers to unlock. They've mentioned that some wont unlock for certain karma characters. If we were to craft spells then that 1200 could be limitless. maybe the crafting system requires a use limit before we're able to change that spell. maybe it requires certain rare materials, maybe both. it's an artificial progression that has to be coded once.

you'd still have your persistent progress because you needed to unlocked the base spells, now you can experiment with them. ice+fire, fire+water, poison+electric. and that's just a single tier system. imagine adding ice+water+electric. maybe water+ice+electric is something different. maybe electric+ice+water is different. what if we could craft 4 elements, how about 5 elements. and that doesn't include area effect, or other attributes.

a spell crafting system would be much deeper than we could imagine, AND because Fracture has spell combination it would make it so much deeper.

seriously just open your imagination and stop thinking about absolutes.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured