WASD or click to move only?

• @tulukaruk said in WASD or click to move only?:

optional WASD

The game needs to be designed with one or the other in mind, because the two control schemes play out differently. The only real reason to have both would be for accessibility reasons, but for anyone that doesn't have a disability, one will be better than the other, creating an illusion of choice. I think the devs shouldn't waste resources implementing a control scheme they're not designing the game for unless they really care about accessibility.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@target Gothix is right. I myself and friends i have had through the years simply will not play a game if the control style is not to their liking.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@target as I said I can see why devs wouldn't want that. But seeing how the treads about WASD keeps popping there might be enough people for them to bother to do that.

Basically we gave a number of reasons why our side wants it and wasting time is the only argument against. I do find it quite offending for our side.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@tulukaruk

Some players may insist on having only click to move, because they are used to it well, and they know if WASD isn't introduced they will have an advantage over all other people that aren't used to it.

Lobbying for not introducing WASD option, lets them keep that advantage. This is the only reason for some players not wanting an optional WASD, nothing else (even though they will try to claim otherwise).

• @tulukaruk I actually want WASD too, but if DS is going to add it, I want them to go all in with it and design the game around it. I just don't see the point of throwing WASD into a game designed around click to move. I have a hard time even imagining how it would work. My argument is that there is no 'optional WASD', it's either the de facto movement scheme, or it's so janky and useless that no one is going to use it anyway.

@target
    it works like Zelda did on the NES. it's just a character movement. ➡ moves the character toward East, ⬅ moves the character West,⬆ moves the character North, ⬇ moves the character South. Now it isn't limited to those 4 directions, you can have 8 base movement too.

you can visit the other thread and look for my Spiral Knights video. But it works just like it would on a controller on console. I've even mentioned it allows for certain disabilities to play the game.

• @jetah "I have a hard time even imagining how it would work" was referring to WASD being added into a game designed for click to move. I know how a game designed for WASD would work, I even gave an example in the thread you're referring to.

@target
    wouldn't it still work the same though?

• @jetah Your Zelda example but with 8 directions? Sure. But then that's just straight up worse than click to move (in a game designed for click to move). That's what I mean by an illusion of choice. Anyone that cares about competition (and for a sandbox PvP game, that should be just about everyone) is going to use click to move anyway.

@tulukaruk said in WASD or click to move only?:

@target as I said I can see why devs wouldn't want that. But seeing how the treads about WASD keeps popping there might be enough people for them to bother to do that.

Basically we gave a number of reasons why our side wants it and wasting time is the only argument against. I do find it quite offending for our side.

I seem to recall in the other massive WASD thread (and I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning to even think about using the search function) that @Prometheus stated it was more a function of the time and effort needed to program WASD into the game rather than that they were against WASD. From all the angst about the Prealpha invites you can see why they are concerned about the time required to add features.

ofc I could be hallucinating too.

Heads off on quest for CUP OF COFFEE

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@dagimir don't agree. Albion Online was the first point and click game I played since the old strategy games like Warcraft, Dune and Red Alert. And that was late '90 if I'm not mistaken. Was a bit weird at first in Albion, but as soon as I started to make alot of kills in PvP I really started to enjoy the point and click movement. Even after more then a decade of playing mmorpgs with WSAD. So the devs should stick to their vision!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@target @Gibbx If they want to add controller support (and I don't know if they will) it's practically the same coding for movement as WASD.

@Prometheus claimed that WASD would be worse then mouse movement and I don't agree with that statement. And many others don't agree with it either.

Not sure how long would it take to add it - should be only few hours for one guy tho I understand that's already a lot for small team.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@benseine You cant disagree with fact. I only stated that my friends and I have passed over games because of control schemes we didn't like. Literally nothing to disagree with me on. No opinion was stated at all.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@dagimir I can disagree with @Gothix being right ofc, he is a noob 😜

hmmmmm I don't really click to move I do prefer wasd so I would like to at least have the option of wasd if it is bad than to the click we shall go

@target
    but click to move is horrible compared to wasd. I can keep the mouse over a target and run around, you can't do that with CTM. you have to move the mouse to where you want to run, click, move the mouse to your opponent then do you ability, then move the mouse to run again, etc. I just keep moving while keeping my mouse over you.

and 8 directions could be higher but you only need 4.

@dj35
    prometheus already said no wasd.

• Well if is possible to implement the autorun with mouse like Uo it will be great. In Uo if you press rightclick and leftclick at the same time it will follow your mouse without the need to hold the right click.. That was a really big quality of life improvement. And an autorun if you click on the map that dodge objects and do the shortest way.. but that require the Ai of mobs at least 🐷

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured