Alignment restricted spells?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Just a thought since the game will utilise alignments as a key component...

Will there be some spells restricted by this?

I realize the game is aiming for a classless system that allows you to use any skill, with your attributes making them more or less effective. So restricting some spells go against this a bit, but it would be quite interesting to have certain skills unlock with different ratings of alignment...

@azraelius Since some gods only have positive or negative alignment, they will give different buffs to their members. This of course not skill, but in the alignment will make sense in addition to actions.

I like it BUT what if they were execution moves.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@azraelius I didn't read something about aligned skill but some skills are in your opposed place. If you are a beastman you could look in Tartaros to find skill. Perhaps there skills are mostly RP demon aligned ? duno...

I personally prefer spells not to be restricted. This ensures game will be skill based, as everything will be accessible to everyone, so character control skill and "smarts" (and effort, placed into being ready with consumables) will be the only factors deciding the outcome of 1 vs 1 engagements.

"Smarts" goes to being able to theory craft and apply your deck well (without spell restrictions), knowing to use an environment to your advantage, and generally outsmarting an enemy.

Of course luck might partially play a role here and there, when someone is caught off guard, with the "wrong" build, but at least being unable to use some spells at all and getting disadvantaged like that will not be the factor.

The idea reminds me of Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic where your alignment mattered for the force powers πŸ˜„

Anyway, it makes people to choose alignment just for min-maxing. Some simple color variations with skill/spell effect might be fine tho

@muker said in Alignment restricted spells?:

@azraelius Since some gods only have positive or negative alignment, they will give different buffs to their members. This of course not skill, but in the alignment will make sense in addition to actions.

I was curious about spells having alignment but I guess Muker has the right of it, your chosen God will be an alignment of your choice and the powers they grant will obviously only be available if you are that alignment.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

The biggest problem would be with alignment changes. You learn a skill (spend point / time on it) and then you change alignment and what? Suddenly you have a skill you cannot use.

it would be kind of cool but their will arise problems with this thought process

why would a god of life be ok with a follower using necromancy? Why would a god of death be ok with a follower using life spells?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Interesting idea/question. I would be on board if they would like to implement this. I would hope there would be roughly equal options for both sides but with different graphics.

@jetah said in Alignment restricted spells?:

why would a god of life be ok with a follower using necromancy? Why would a god of death be ok with a follower using life spells?

Do you, simple mortal, presume to know gods feelings? πŸ˜‰

Who knows what they are OK with. πŸ™‚

• I don't like the idea of my build being restricted by the way I want to interact with other players.

I am sure that won't be the case, I thought of this question because the idea of having aligned skills would be cool... I don't think every skill and spell would be locked by alignment. The divine powers granted by gods will defiantly be alignment locked since you will need the favor of that particular God.

I doubt the schools of magic and schools of fighting will have alignment locked skills, I was more thinking along the lines of a skill changing or unlocking when you reached a high enough alignment.

Say you reach -10 000 Evil alignment and you have proficiency in a certain school of magic, the two together unlock an ability that compliments each other.

This however was just a thought... The powers given by Gods to me is already a very cool representation of this.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

How about the divine ability things? Those will be alignment restricted.

@gothix
    I'm pretty sure there's a book written with some insight to the gods. Not to mention these gods are pretty close to the followers so they'd probably step in and say or do something.

It doesn't have to be all skills but a few would be neat to have alignment locked.

Personally, I always enjoy meaningful choice, so I'd love alignment restricted spells. But I doubt that it's going to happen.

To me it would be like having certain skills be alignment based due to their mechanics and nature.

Off the top of my head having a conjuration spell that opens a rift to Tartarus, not a stargate that allows travel but an unstable portal that summons certain beings from that planet. This action is evil due to you channeling demonic forces, creating a tear in reality with the intention to cause harm.

Then say the same ability is used by someone of good alignment, they open up a more portal to Arboreus.... Calling up beings that basically serve the same combat purpose but not for evil purposes. Or perhaps they summon a field of kittensπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ "jokes"

Just a fun thought... And like I said God powers will be great way of implementing this idea anyway, and hopefully the different types of Major and minor gods will have different abilities to grant.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

It is one more thing to worry about balance wise, but I do like the idea of different schools and alignments applying to some spells, just like I noted in the summoning topics.

I think my biggest concern is that neutral alignments or skill trees don't get relegated to being weak, since all too often that is the case.

I would imagine the skill has the same strength, given you have the right attributes to compliment them... The alignment is more flavour than power😜

You actually brought up something I haven't wondered about... how can you stay a truly neutral character, to keep your alignment on zero. Choosing neutral gives you options to either be evil or good, but to stay neutral will be difficult as your actions contribute to alignment.

You would have to juggle killing good and bad characters... As killing evil characters give you good karma and vice versa and alternate good and bad quests to keep your alignment centered. Not sure this would impart any benefits apart from being a constant struggle to stay neutral.

Very cool, battling good and bad choices every session... πŸ€”πŸ˜ But probably not what's intended.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured