do you want a translator in game and in the forum?

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@gofrit each person could choose the language to which they belong, once they have been selected. In his light chat, only his language is associated with the language of origin of the writer

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@pepix said in do you want a translator in game and in the forum?:

if a game wants to make a difference, create an instant translation of the chat, attracts a huge number of users to the game, creating a long-lasting game very aggregate

Not really.

I prefer to see at least decent English in chat. If there was auto translator present, and my world chat would be full of "broken English" spam (auto translator would only translate in non quality way) then that chat would suck for me to such measure that I would likely turn it off.

So no auto translator please. Ty.

Instead I'd prefer several versions (different channels) of world chat (English, German, Italian, French, Spanish,...) so people that wish to chat in their own language can chat in specialized channel.

I'd hate translator in chat so much.

@gothix
    so you wouldn't be ok with seeing just sections translated from a list of phrases and/or words? Where the translated text is a different color or a hoverover to see the original text?

You might see {help}{Demon} in chat then you'd know to help the demon attack the person! Brackets (or colored text) would be used to show text that is auto-translated to other languages. I doubt you'll join a guild with multiple languages but 'in the wild' it would be nice to have some international communication.

@jetah said in do you want a translator in game and in the forum?:

@gothix
    so you wouldn't be ok with seeing just sections translated from a list of phrases and/or words? Where the translated text is a different color or a hoverover to see the original text?

Pre written phrases are OK, because they would be written in correct English (Help, Demons are invading! LFG for grinding in Syndesia! Etc.)

It's real time translator that would be a problem. Because then chat would look like this:

Lee: Me integration nice day, clan warfare.
    Boris: What are you, incredible statement, no understanding.
    Khalif: Sale, herb only not under sun, travelling quick.
    Hans: Demons, schnell in Arboreus, aus weapon having.
    Pierre: White flag, le now quick wave, not voulez, away.
    Meho: Pas mater, the whole familija.

(Of course, I'm sketching this a bit, but auto translated general chat would definitely be a pain I would not wish to see. It's because translators suck.)

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix I thought it was translations from a translator you used x)

@gothix
    I would expect preset words and phrases not an auto translation on the fly.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@jetah thats news to me really?

yes i think so

@natsha10
    is it?

• Wiki Editor

I also think the Devs should not waste time for an translator.
    English is not that hard to learn, and to be honest, you learn it way better if you invest some own time in it, instead just to type in your own language.
    Not to mention that the translators often lead to weird sentences that causes many mistakes in understanding the other side. You not even know what you made wrong, if someone gets angry to you, just because the translator failed to translate the right way.

Also, people will see way better, that you are maybe an english speaking newbie, when you try it by yourself and they will much more helping you this way with advices, how to improve your english.

Oh and if i just think about some phrases you type in your own language would lead into funny translations like my lovely mister singing club, i just understand trainstation. 😉

@kralith
    And having a in game translation means the game is open to more players.

DS could have the files available for the community to translate making it cheaper for them.

• Wiki Editor

@jetah said in do you want a translator in game and in the forum?:

@kralith
    And having a in game translation means the game is open to more players.

I‘m not sure, if a chat translator will attract more people. Thats at least for me no feature to decide if i want to play a game or not. And i don‘t think many people say „Oh this game translate my chat, just for this reason i want to play it.“

Also i think, that there will be many player from different languages just talk to own peoplein their own groups with theier own language. People who don‘t effort a bit time to learn english, if they chose international MMO, usually have no interest to talk to people outside of their own language.
    I think @muker can agree much about russian community.
    My experience from other games is, that especially russians stay seperated in their own groups.
    Sure not all of them, but i guess a good bunch of them.
    And yes, i know also germans, who play international MMOs, but don‘t want to learn english at least a bit 😉

@kralith
    And most stay separated because of the language barrier.

If DS wants servers for each language, which I doubt they do, they’ll need a way for all languages to communicate with each other.

@Jetah few pre-written phrases to chose in "menu" will not help bridge the langue barrier and connect people together 😉 it's simply not nearly enough.

And full chat AI translator would majorly suck, and would make most of player base turn off chat completely.

There is only one way to be able to communicate with international community, and that is to learn English, regardless of how much someone would wish that there was an easier way.

@gothix
    you didn't read all of the auto phrases translated in FFXIV did you. There's well over 200 pre-selected words/phrases. again this wouldn't be a type in your language and it's auto translation but you pick from the list and when you hit enter that phrase/text is translated on the client side, as noted on the FFXIV wiki I posted. I'll post it again so you can read it: https://ffxi.gamerescape.com/wiki/Auto-Translator

not everyone is going to learn english. not everyone can learn it. the community could create the translations in their language so DS doesn't have to pay for it (or they can pay for it but that's up to them).

@Jetah so someone selects phrase "Looking for dungeon as DPS" (in his own language), and I see this in English.

Then I reply to him, "Hey did you do this dungeon before? Can you spare the time to go for 2 consecutive runs with the same group?"

And he says "Ke?" And just spams me the "Looking for dungeon as DPS" again.

-- Pre-written phrases can help for some simple situations, but for very little of situations. If you don't know english, you will never really morph in to a international group and start playing with this group.

The most you can do with pre-written phrases is to do a simple trade on market, or stuff like that. You can not "bridge the language barrier to really start playing with someone else".

@gothix said in do you want a translator in game and in the forum?:

@Jetah so someone selects phrase "Looking for dungeon as DPS" (in his own language), and I see this in English.

{looking for dungeon} and game specific terms could be the group of spells/abilities the person is using. because Fractured doesn't have classes. but DS could add in DPS, Tank, Healer and Support.

Then I reply to him, "Hey did you do this dungeon before? Can you spare the time to go for 2 consecutive runs with the same group?"

specifically like that no. but DS could add something similar. Experience could be added to the translations. {no experience}, {little experience}, {much experience} are examples.

And he says "Ke?" And just spams me the "Looking for dungeon as DPS" again.

they would reply with {yes} or {no}.

-- Pre-written phrases can help for some simple situations, but for very little of situations. If you don't know english, you will never really morph in to a international group and start playing with this group.

people have done raids with the FFXIV auto translation so yes it's completely possible to do more than you think.

I'll say again that you didn't look at the list.
    oh I found an open source thingie.. https://gist.github.com/3735943886/fe5ac8012ffe37c9dfa180b1944b513c (this one has over 3000 lines of auto translations)

• Wiki Editor

If i understand the system of Fractured right, you will need very special setups for going to an Expedition.
    So a simple „We need DPS/Healer/Tank“ will not work in our game.
    You need to ask for special setup and in this reason a simple phrases translator will not work at all.
    Someone who don‘t be able to learn english will be very frustrated after some tries to communicate in this special situation and will chose just to go with people of own language.
    Even an auto translator will not work for this people, because of many misunderstandings in reason of wrong translations, since many many gamer use special gamer words. And i doubt there is an auto-translator available who has this special gamer language in it.

For all this reasons i stay at my opinion that an ingame translator for chat is not helpful.
    And yes @Jetah, i understand your opinion well and i even agree with some of your arguments. 🙂

@kralith
    I don't think you'll need very specific builds because not everyone will unlock everything. They said the game will be solo friendly which means very specific builds wont work.

I do believe generic dps, healer and tank builds will work for majority of the pve content. if you want to pvp then I wouldn't ever suggest a translation but to use voice communications.

If you use that second link, to github, you'll see over 2800 auto translated words and phrases with specific FFXIV spell, job (class) words. The same thing can be done with Fractured. Fractured could have an easy way to link what skills a user has unlocked (and ranks) so you can ask them to build a certain way (which would suck also). Or a way to quickly link the currency skills/passives you have in your bar.

@Jetah just to find the line that I want to say (scrolling through 3000 lines) would be annoying and slow as hell xD and I doubt many would be patient enough to bother with that. Specially if you need to connect a conversation and then you need to scroll through 3000 lines multiple times. 😛

Yeah I didn't look at the list. I believe you that the list has insane number of options, but my concern is the feasibility in practice for having a quick and smooth conversation flows, which I doubt is possible with manually searching for things to say each time. It would be stressful and uneasy at best.

Most people will do stuff with own guilds anyway, and will use discord voice, specially for sieges and organized stuff where textual chat just isn't enough even if everyone speaks your language. Chat is slow, you NEED the voice, so speaking the same language is a must.

Now imagine a siege, with people on text chat, and scrolling through 3000 lines to pass information to one another. 😛

RIP xD

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured