Why will the control be based on a mouse?

• DymStudios - CEO

@tulukaruk don't worry, there's nothing bad in some discussion 🙂 I think it's better to postpone this one till we release some gameplay videos, though, in particular those featuring interactive environments, then you'll notice how hard it would be to move around with WASD 🙂

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@prometheus There are games like Smite and X Master X which use the WASD keys on a keyboard. Personally this is my preference - I hate using the mouse for click to move.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@johnny-quantum
    Both of those games have camera control. This means you can turn with your mouse. It's WASD movement, but it's not keyboard turning. Fractured is intended to be isometric, without camera control, meaning WASD movement is inherently keyboard turning.

There are two ways you could do that:

1. Rotating on axis, with a turn delay/animation which means you can't quickly change direction. I will mail you my foreskin if you find a single noteworthy PVP game that uses exclusively this control scheme.

2. Simple movement, IE you press D and instantly start moving right, you press A and instantly start moving left. A couple games do this, but with the exception of grid based games, for reasons already explained in the thread this yield inferior levels of control/speed.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of click based movement either, but 100% it yields more character control.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Better to actually wait for the gameplay. Maybe it works for them! 😛

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I'm with Luccheno on this one.

Both sides make valid points here, but until you have a chance to see (and even try), I find it hard to lock into an anti-mouse stance with any solidarity. Plenty of games pull it off just fine.

I haven't played League of Legends in years due to toxicity in the community (at least back when I quit it), but I found many of those matches to be incredibly intense - equally if not more so, than the SMITE matches I play today. On the other hand, I don't feel near the intensity in DoTA 2 as I did in League of Legends shrug

For me I'm open to whatever movement the developers feel best, and will form my opinion when I can see it in action.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Will the overall battle style be something similar to Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 where everything is freestyle and not like most Rpgs being stiff and turnbased and while I'm here (This is a dumb question) but will the cooldowns be longer on the more powerfull spells or attacks, there are several unfair MMO games that let people spam thd weaker attacks and these players can demolish a lvl 50 tank no problem. And with finding other players villages, will this be like Clash of clans where it just searches, or will you be able to travel to planets and walk alongs paths and go through forests to stumble across a player or guilds village.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@vahn said in Why will the control be based on a mouse?:

I'm with Luccheno on this one.

Both sides make valid points here, but until you have a chance to see (and even try), I find it hard to lock into an anti-mouse stance with any solidarity.

It's not anti-mouse. It's pro-wasd 😉 Some of us think it would be best to have both, not just one. And adding it later in development may be difficult. Of course if it would harm the game it's better to keep only one - just like Tree of Savior kept wasd only.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

If I think about mousebased movement Diablo 3 comes to mind.
    There it is a lot better to have click-to-move than even to imagine wasd-movement.
    But if anyone played it with a gamepad you'll never want to go back to mouse.
    So why not use this, you'll have the unlimited directions of the stick for movement and the direction you are facing to attack can be different.
    Only if you want to have different ranges on your skills you are slow again.
    Since i dont know what kind of spells will be featured I just want to point this one out, maybe its a way between both what people would like.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'm not really used to mouse movements (the only game I played with this controls is HoTS), and I prefer a little bit wasd movements. But it's just a habit to get, it would be a shame if you do a perfect game, but players don't want it just because of the movements

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

The more possible control schemes the better. Gamepad helps me as a person with arthritis issues in my hands, it puts on less stress than KBM (even though I do prefer playing that way). Considering that is very improtant to making the game playable to as large an audience as possible (and after all, even Diablo on consoles has figured out gamepad)

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

From what I see the game will be in isometrical view, is that right?
    Or did I misread something, or is there confusion between isemetrical and birdseye view? (just to be clear about this)
    Also I'd like to vote for more options.
    It might put people at a disadvantage if they use a different movementset
    but it will give them the opportunity to choose their favorit playstyle.
    Maybe I am getting old but I prefer the gameplay to be fulfilling over beeing toprated as a player. I wouldn't start playing with touchscreen just because I'll get a better reactiontime out of it, because I am lazy and want to lay back in my chair, spinning around with q and e 😉
    In my opinion its just more fun to be free to choose how to play and that includes controls

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@lomacil said in Why will the control be based on a mouse?:

From what I see the game will be in isometrical view, is that right?
    Or did I misread something, or is there confusion between isemetrical and birdseye view? (just to be clear about this)
    Also I'd like to vote for more options.
    It might put people at a disadvantage if they use a different movementset
    but it will give them the opportunity to choose their favorit playstyle.
    Maybe I am getting old but I prefer the gameplay to be fulfilling over beeing toprated as a player. I wouldn't start playing with touchscreen just because I'll get a better reactiontime out of it, because I am lazy and want to lay back in my chair, spinning around with q and e 😉
    In my opinion its just more fun to be free to choose how to play and that includes controls

It's isometric and mouse-controlled yes. The devs said it's only possible to control a character through mouse control. Also, most skills are skillshots.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@lomacil i disagree with the premise that people who play with a gamepad wouldn't want to go back. I've played much diablo on console and on pc and using the mouse is far superior in my opinion. And Diablo and LoL do a good job of incorporating mouse movement while still having skill shot based abilities to time up without making the person slowed in juggling moving and shooting.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@teeboned what I wanted to say is there is a clear advantage in using the gamepad in diablo 3 because you can move and use your skills at the same time. This gives mobilitybased chars a great deal of power. While using mouse gives you other advantages and possibilities.
    For example if you have to choose an area or point for your skillshot you will be much faster using the mouse.
    The question whats superior is easy to anwser.
    If you just move and give directions for your skills - its the gamepad
    If you have to specify areas - its the mouse

Everything else is just what you like more not what gives you the best option to operate. While I prefer mouse myself because I am a lot more used to it, is see the downside of unseperated input options of aiming and moving to the twinstick input.

Thats because I am pro - option
    I would like to choose what see fit to give me the best experience and to experiment with combinations.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@lomacil said in Why will the control be based on a mouse?:

@teeboned what I wanted to say is there is a clear advantage in using the gamepad in diablo 3 because you can move and use your skills at the same time. This gives mobilitybased chars a great deal of power. While using mouse gives you other advantages and possibilities.

Too bad you cannot do that on PC. If only we had more devices to control character then only the mice. Like something with more keys maybe... So you could use your left hand on this board with keys - I know! let's name it keysboard... wait that doesn't sound nice - keyboard - that's better. As we don't have those... wait! we have! 😉

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured