Suggestion about hunger/thirst

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Hunger/thirst needs could change with your race and the different races could "preferences".
    For example: Hellfire demons are big so they need more food, but they don't need as much water cause they're dry/fire-y.
    Also, those deer beastkin (forgot their name) are herbivores so they get more value from Vegetables/fruits.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I just hope the hunger/thirst system is not a pain in the ass.

They could need different kind of food as well. That would mean you'd have to plan when invading another planet since you won't be able to find food there that you could digest.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@cinnao Having a hunger/thirst system would definitely add to roleplay and also put increased value on crafting skills for gathering, hunting and preparing food and drinks. However, it should be reasonably balanced to not have players carry stacks of food and drink items just to be able to go through a single dungeon run. Adapting the kind of food edible and needed to the race is a nice roleplaying feature which could also be embedded with regional recipes used by tribes/people/races in certain areas.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@severinus You could even go in depth with it and have different climates demand different minerals/vitamins to be included in your diet. So you'd be encouraged to eat indigenous food if you are to get the most out of your adventure in a specific area.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@darian I would really like this idea, as long as it stays reasonably demanding for players to handle and does not force them to keep binge eating and drinking every 5 minutes. Regarding climate zones, it would be interesting to add 'natural damage' by cold or heat, requiring to dress also accordingly in addition to keeping enough water with you, if you wish to cross a desert and get warmly dressed in the tundra to not freeze to death and smelt ice or warm up the icy cold water, before you can get water suitable for drinking.

demons shouldn't need to eat or drink.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah Why ? ^^ No need to drink, maybe ok for the hellfire demons, as they seem to have lava in their bodies, but the others... Maybe they don't need to drink as often as the other races (maybe there is a lack of water on Tartaros, and we can see some water wars ^^ ). And no need to eat ? Metabolicly speaking, it's impossible ^^ I know it's a fantastic world, but I don't think living being, demons or not, can live without eating.

@esher

Then you believe the gods themselves also are required to eat?

Supernatural beings don’t need physical sustenance.

• @severinus said in Suggestion about hunger/thirst:

Regarding climate zones, it would be interesting to add 'natural damage' by cold or heat, requiring to dress also accordingly in addition to keeping enough water with you, if you wish to cross a desert and get warmly dressed in the tundra to not freeze to death

A hunger/thirst system and what you described here are already confirmed.

@jetah Demons of Fractured don't seem to supernatural beings. Just another sentient species of creatures like beastmen.

Due to the lack of water, agriculture is practically unfeasible on Tartaros, which forces demons to get most of their food by hunting the fearsome creatures that inhabit the planet. Whether demons would be interested in agriculture is doubtful anyway, considering patience is not exactly a virtue of theirs – if they have any virtue, that is.

@target

going by that wouldn't the demons dehydrate if there's a lack of water on Tartaros? Also no where does it say it's mandatory for survival of the demon race. I was reading that from a Human perspective.

• @jetah Presumably they would substitute water with another resource or more food or some other system. Vampires for example, might be able to sustain themselves by drinking blood or feeding on humans and beasts. Maybe nightmares have to eat and rest much more during the day but have nearly limitless stamina(or whatever) at night. Infernals might require significantly more food but be able to eat nearly anything as long as it's scorched.

It would be strange for them to have this mechanic that's supposed to add challenge to travel/exploration and then only implement it for humans.

@jetah said in Suggestion about hunger/thirst:

@esher

wait, you know this how?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Gibbx I suppose it's a supposition. When you're a supernatural being, you don't really need to feed you with physical food, maybe more spiritual ones (after, it depend, we see sometimes, in movies, gods doing a banquet, bu is it really physical food ? ^^)

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I would prefer to see a buff/debuff-based food system and not one where you just straight up die if your food drops too low. Instead, you get super weak and would be wise to avoid all combat until you fixed it, but could continue to play in this grossly debuffed state.

Of course they are. What they eat is another matter entirely - most settings have gods rely on faith or worship to sustain them, but the fact remains that they need something. More human-like gods are even depicted with very healthy appetites for mundane food (Kid Icarus), and even today offerings of meat and other foods are offered as tribute to particular gods.

"Supernatural" demons often follow the same logic. Their inherently violent and malicious nature implies they may have a Highlander system, i.e. they consume other demons (or meat/blood in general) to absorb their strength.

Spotlight #2 says that demons hunt wildlife for most of their food, though. It's probably normal food in order to keep the playable races on the same page and not have wildly different systems for something as global as keeping food stocked.

@gibbx said in Suggestion about hunger/thirst:

@esher

wait, you know this how?

I wouldn't consider a being a god if they can starve to death.

@FibS

In that spotlight it didn't say it was required of them to eat though. Only that they can eat.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

In that spotlight it didn't say it was required of them to eat though. Only that they can eat.

That is a completely silly implication.

@gibbx said in Suggestion about hunger/thirst:

wait, you know this how?

I wouldn't consider a being a god if they can starve to death.

supernatural beings are usually depicted in myth, lore and popular literature/entertainment as needing to eat (albeit not always what the average human would consider 'food')

supernatural does not necessary equal god either

also I hate eating and drinking mechanics in a game

• TF#3 - ENVOY

The idea is good but if they make just the slightest mistake it will result in not the best thing to do ...

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured