Suggestion about hunger/thirst

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@gothix said in Suggestion about hunger/thirst:

I'd agree that w do not need too many "pain in the ass" mechanics. Game is supposed to be relaxing and fun.

That's a matter of personal preference. Some want a game to be 'relaxing', some want a game to be 'challenging', both type of games have their dedicated target audience.

@logain said in Suggestion about hunger/thirst:

I'd agree that w do not need too many "pain in the ass" mechanics. Game is supposed to be relaxing and fun.

That's a matter of personal preference. Some want a game to be 'relaxing', some want a game to be 'challenging', both type of games have their dedicated target audience.

If you will notice, I specifically wrote -- "too many" pain in the ass mechanics.

"Too many" being the key part here.

Challenging game is fine. I actually prefer games to be challenging. However "annoying" does not always equal "challenging". Too much of "annoying" usually just equals "pain in the ass". 😉

Challenging is something that requires skill, something that not everyone will be able to do, while not necessarily requiring just physically working through too many "annoyances".

Meanwhile, things that anyone can do, but it's just "too many of them" thrown all together, so it just equals "work" -- THAT is just annoying and not challenging.

So to the point, "challenging" = yes please, "annoying" = no please. 🙂

(a challenging game that requires a lots of skill can still be relaxing, assuming you have the said skill, while a game that requires no skill, just a lots of time / work can get quite annoying)

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I think Everquest probably had the idea hunger/third system, it just needs expanded on. It used a system where you automatically ate food and water, if you didn't it stopped all your regeneration and pretty much crippled your character. Having to micromanage your hunter and thirst levels would just end up annoying and unfun. Give us the option to set up food to automatically eat but also make food and drinks have a range of effects such as improving stats down to basic rations that don't have any effects. This means your going to want to use the expensive good food and drink at times but not always and it will stop it from being an annoying system you constantly have to micromanage. You can just change up your current food quickly in a small menu as needed.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Hunger/Thirst can't be the focus on your jurneys!
    I think it has to be a thing to count in but not a main thing to do.

(...)Challenging is something that requires skill(...)

I'm going to use chess here as an example. I'd say chess is a challenging game, because if you want to have any chance of success, you need to plan ahead with your moves against a half decent opponent. So, requiring you to plan ahead due to restriction can be a challenging but rewarding experience to some.
    Food/water is a good example in this case, since if used as restriction, it means you have to plan ahead before extending into different territory, just like you'd want to plan properly before heading into the desert or arctic, or heck even on a longer trip into the wilderness, unless you know that you can find the food and shelter in that wilderness.

I really hope this game does not go overboard on the survival mechanics. a little buff from food or drink is one thing but if it turns into Mortal Online I may have to rethink playing.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured