Get ready for Closed Beta!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Vortech said in Get ready for Closed Beta!:

(...)What I wrote was essentially an example he gave?(...)

As far as I recall, the 'example' he gave was conditional, as in parting if the project didn't turn out to be 'successful'. This is a very ambiguous statement, because it doesn't specify what success means, nor the financial details, nor the data migration.
    IF, let's say, the contractual penalty is half the invested money and there's no details on the data migration, yes, 'on paper', it's still possible for DS to part with Gamigo, but it's simply not realistic because it's not financially viable.
    Hence why @Jetah (correctly) claimed that it depends on the contract details.
    Remember... this is not Gamigo's first rodeo and they have experienced lawyers, but it's DS first attempt (on that scale) and I doubt that their lawyers can cope with Gamigo.

(...)What makes you think Gamigo "controls" the purse strings? (...)Sure, there was a cash infusion..(...)

I'm not a big fan of 'common sense' usually, since it doesn't scale and hence can be misleading, but in this scenario, I'd argue that a partner who invests enough to 'double your staff' is going to have a significant control over a project in order to secure the investment.
    As a rule of thumb, always assume the worst in such a scenario, because if you're treating that optimistic, you're bound to 'let down your guard'.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

As long as its true that if gamingo backs out for w/e reason the DS is then free to find another partner. Basically, i only found out after the fact that they controlled Defiance and even though i hadn't played in ages, i was still upset that it had shut down as I would go back every so often to play some more.

• @Logain said in Get ready for Closed Beta!:

As far as I recall, the 'example' he gave was conditional, as in parting if the project didn't turn out to be 'successful'. This is a very ambiguous statement, because it doesn't specify what success means, nor the financial details, nor the data migration.
    IF, let's say, the contractual penalty is half the invested money and there's no details on the data migration, yes, 'on paper', it's still possible for DS to part with Gamigo, but it's simply not realistic because it's not financially viable.
    Hence why @Jetah (correctly) claimed that it depends on the contract details.
    Remember... this is not Gamigo's first rodeo and they have experienced lawyers, but it's DS first attempt (on that scale) and I doubt that their lawyers can cope with Gamigo.

@Logain said in Get ready for Closed Beta!😆

I'm not a big fan of 'common sense' usually, since it doesn't scale and hence can be misleading, but in this scenario, I'd argue that a partner who invests enough to 'double your staff' is going to have a significant control over a project in order to secure the investment.

No need to speculate, this information was made available back in December 2021..

• Dynamight will retain ownership of the game and the IP- 205s
    • Dynamight did not relinquish creative control - Second video 426s
    • Gamigo secured global distribution rights, they earn a portion of the profits from revenue - 432s & 3286s
    • Upon a contract exit, Dynamight will retain full ownership of - 488s
    • Gamigo is not here to change the vision of Fractured - 1323s
    • Dynamight retains creative control, IP, and monetization - 322s

Source Videos:

It's a mutually beneficial partnership. I suggest folks watch the two videos in their entirety.. Questions were repetitive, but representatives from both sides made it pretty clear. This forum software does not embed videos with time specifics URLs.

I get the cynicism towards Gamigo, but this is a different arrangement than what we're accustomed to. Gamigo didn't buy the husk of a previous developed game with the intentions to zombie it. Fractured is still very much in development.

(...)No need to speculate(...)

Most unfortunately, the devil's in the details. Reread my post, there has been no mention of contractual penalties, there has been no mention on the necessary data migration, there has been no mention on the financial details.
    These details aren't public facing information, heck these sort of details are often even misunderstood by one side of the contract. But they matter, as plenty of people had to find out the hard way.

Is there a chance this could turn out the best and a truly merry relationship? Certainly.
    Is there a chance this could end up bad for DS and the player base? Possibly, unless we know the exact wording of the contract and the exact plans for the data-storage one can only speculate and be careful.

No need to speculate, this information was made available back in December 2021..

• Dynamight will retain ownership of the game and the IP- 205s - Have you reviewed the contract? then you do not know this.
    • Dynamight did not relinquish creative control - Second video 426s - When you get yourself a Sugar Daddy you need to make them happy. Although on paper DS retains ownership and control when the Sugar Daddy says do this or do that there is a pretty good chance it is going to get done.
    • Gamigo secured global distribution rights, they earn a portion of the profits from revenue - 432s & 3286s
    • Upon a contract exit, Dynamight will retain full ownership of - 488s - Sure but by the time Gamigo is done with Fractured what will DS have control of exactly? Probably a hot mess of garbage
    • Gamigo is not here to change the vision of Fractured - 1323s. In many ways it feels like the vison has ALREADY changed. DS went into this project with a passion to make the game they wanted to play and the rest of us tagged along. Now Gamigo comes along. What is their vision? Oh here's a game we can pillage like we have done with so many others.
    • Dynamight retains creative control, IP, and monetization - 322s - Right up until the Sugar Daddy 'suggests' a few changes

It's a mutually beneficial partnership. I suggest folks watch the two videos in their entirety.. Questions were repetitive, but representatives from both sides made it pretty clear. This forum software does not embed videos with time specifics URLs. - Sure mutually beneficial for DS and Gamigo (although in the end I am willing to bet more beneficial for Gamigo then DS) but what about the community? Also I do not know why you think we have not watched those two videos? Or why you seem to take them as Holy Writ? They are public relations pieces Probably written by Gamigo's PR dept)

I get the cynicism towards Gamigo, but this is a different arrangement than what we're accustomed to. Gamigo didn't buy the husk of a previous developed game with the intentions to zombie it. Fractured is still very much in development.

If I stick my hand in the fire I expect it will get burned. This is certainly the same. I admire your optimism. I prefer realism as it frequently leaves me less disappointed with how things turn out. I hope that you are right and I am wrong but realistically I don't believe that will be the case.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I am Hyyyyyypppppeeeeeeeeedddddd

• @Gibbx said in Get ready for Closed Beta!:

If I stick my hand in the fire I expect it will get burned. This is certainly the same. I admire your optimism. I prefer realism as it frequently leaves me less disappointed with how things turn out. I hope that you are right and I am wrong but realistically I don't believe that will be the case.

@Logain said in Get ready for Closed Beta!:

Most unfortunately, the devil's in the details. Reread my post, there has been no mention of contractual penalties, there has been no mention on the necessary data migration, there has been no mention on the financial details.
    These details aren't public facing information, heck these sort of details are often even misunderstood by one side of the contract. But they matter, as plenty of people had to find out the hard way.

Is there a chance this could turn out the best and a truly merry relationship? Certainly.
    Is there a chance this could end up bad for DS and the player base? Possibly, unless we know the exact wording of the contract and the exact plans for the data-storage one can only speculate and be careful.

You've got the CEO of Dynamight and a high level Gamigo rep both answering questions from the community.. It isn't going to get more straightforward than that.. It isn't going to get more transparent than that. Your claims indicate you still haven't watched the videos.. So I'll just say this, startups don't typically suffer penalties to their investors when goals are missed.. To the contrary, the startups usually double down and make a request for more capital. The risk is on the investor and they've even gone so far to clarify specifics as in the IP rights. In this case as I stated above, this is a mutually beneficial partnership and I don't think I should have to spell it out any further than that..

I made it about as easy as one could.. These are private companies and IMO your expectations are beyond reality.. So, we'll just have to see how things turn out.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

So April 1st is a Friday. Just sayin.

• Content Creator

@DarthJafo They have a tendency to like to launch tests mid-week, instead of on weekends, so I would expect the launch announcement to come around the weekend, maybe, if it's going to launch next Tuesday or Wednesday, although they may give us more notice than that.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

That would majorly suck as i might be able to get away with taking a friday off but not mid week. Especially since i was home sick last friday and this monday.

• Content Creator

@DarthJafo I don't remember why, but they explained their reasoning once about that. I think they said something about it being better for more people, or had something to do with the initial server load, like I said, I don't remember the reasoning, but they did say that was intentional at one time.

• @GamerSeuss said in Get ready for Closed Beta!:

@DarthJafo They have a tendency to like to launch tests mid-week, instead of on weekends, so I would expect the launch announcement to come around the weekend, maybe, if it's going to launch next Tuesday or Wednesday, although they may give us more notice than that.

@DarthJafo said in Get ready for Closed Beta!:

That would majorly suck as i might be able to get away with taking a friday off but not mid week. Especially since i was home sick last friday and this monday.

@GamerSeuss said in Get ready for Closed Beta!:

@DarthJafo I don't remember why, but they explained their reasoning once about that. I think they said something about it being better for more people, or had something to do with the initial server load, like I said, I don't remember the reasoning, but they did say that was intentional at one time.

From what I've observed, developers like to launch and patch things mid-week so that they can be available to support the game if something goes wrong. If they launch or patch going in to or during a weekend, somebody is likely to or has already lost their day(s) off. I like that theory on server loads though @GamerSeuss, I've definitely seen that go wrong.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Sure, but more people afaik have weekends off than the reverse. Ergo, they'll get a much better load test then. I was toying with taking a friday off to get a three day start, but taking say a tuesday off, then back to work the rest of the week is silly.

Obviously, if they did launch on a friday then the appropriate staff would have a day or two off mid-week, get paid OT, or simply be available if for no other reason than pride in a product and the desire to see it succeed with as little growing pain as possible.

@Vortech - @Prometheus and a Gamigo rep answering questions has NOTHING to do with transparency and everything to do with public relations (which is in fact the exact of opposite of transparency).

We shall see how things shake out.

(...)Your claims indicate you still haven't watched the videos(...)

I watched the videos.

(...)startups usually double down and make a request for more capital(...)

The discussed point was what you quote as 'Upon a contract exit, Dynamight will retain full ownership of', in such a case there's no doubling down.

(...)the risk is on the investor(...)

For the high risk investments you're describing, there's usually a significant interest or part of the revenue. High risk investments have to pay off, they aren't charity.

(...)So, we'll just have to see how things turn out.

Indeed. There's little point in further discussion on the topic from my side, so I'll leave it at that.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured