Upgradable Pets

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Jetah said in Upgradable Pets:

a horse with a side saddles would move as fast as one without

If they are empty... sure 🙂 but if they are heavy, I don't think so. Weight certainly affects speed in some amount.

@Gothix said in Upgradable Pets:

Weight certainly affects speed in some amount.

Fastest horse by far !

alt text

@Gothix said in Upgradable Pets:

@Jetah said in Upgradable Pets:

a horse with a side saddles would move as fast as one without

If they are empty... sure 🙂 but if they are heavy, I don't think so. Weight certainly affects speed in some amount.

i assume the weight limit on a mount will assume either they can still trot, or walk, or the mount just can't move because stupid player put too much weight.

• So pets are upgradeable - one question.

In one of the videos we´ve seen summoning of three skeletons. Also, if I remember correctly, you can have up to 3 minions following you ingame (depending on your Charisma). Do summoned creatures count into limit, or can we have both 3 tamed pets and 3 summoned ones, or either one or the other?

Also summoning skellies will sure be ability, so the ability will have its icon (and will take one out of 8 slots), will taming have the same thing? - will there for example be icon "whistle" to summon your tamed pet and once he reaches you will the ability icon change to "attack enemy i point at" or something? Or will tamed pet not use any slot (in that case summons occupying one slot should be stronger as you have 1/8 fewer slots for other abilities)?

Thanks

I'd like to be able to get 3 pets 3 summons and make a small army, more if possible I love summon classes

• @Xzoviac lets hope so....even if these were weaker than regular pets

It's been my experience that the more stuff on the screen the more lag. I would like to see pets that are cosmetic in nature be limited to 1 and pets that can actually do damage be limited as well. The more pets allowed to fight with you the more unbalanced it will be for every other class.

Perhaps combat pets could offer some buffs to you in your proximity, but also some debuffs to balance things out, and make them more interesting.

@Farlander said in Upgradable Pets:

It's been my experience that the more stuff on the screen the more lag. I would like to see pets that are cosmetic in nature be limited to 1 and pets that can actually do damage be limited as well. The more pets allowed to fight with you the more unbalanced it will be for every other class.

i haven't really had that much but then again i've been on a GTX 960 for 6 years. the Radeon 5600XT will be retailed soon for 245$ so that's a pretty good upgrade for me and the price is spot on!

• @Farlander said in Upgradable Pets:

The cosmetic pets will probably be on the client-side and won't affect lag.

Cosmetic pets will probably be client-side because it's irrelevant if you see them at a different position than they actually are. How about the combat pets, as far as I understand it scales with CHA, so most people won't have 3 summons at once.

• @Gothix

In most games if you wanted to be 100% petmaster, you either sacrificed your offence or defence. In Path of Exile, most of you Yggdrasil skills were minion centered and rest had to go to some defence (or you could go hybrid, but suck at both), in GRIM DAWN all your skills, passives and actives from constellations and all equipment had to improve your pets - but then you were invincible ... but also unable to kill anything by yourself. So yes, why not add some debuff to such skills - something like "you can control more pets, but at the cost of your awareness - you cant check your surroundings as often" --->debuff to saves or something. Or direct debuff to your damage (but only if you pick more minions than 3 - aka only if you go full petmaster).

But no buffs for me, petmaster only does 3 things:

1. runs away from danger
    2. debuffs enemy
    3. revives fallen pets

So I´d only give them debuff, or you only need to grab some slows and stuns and pets will do the rest - wouldnt be balanced 1v1 fight. And imagine 5v5 petmasters (aka 5v30 ) - moment everyone focus fires one dude, his dead.

Or make it possible to have 3 minions and three summons, but lower all pet´s damage accordingly (the more pets you have, the lower is their damage).

• @asspirin
    It's hard to judge fairly without being able to actually test stuff.
    It seems a bit excessive that CHA increases the number of combat pets, improves a type of damage and buffs CC, but this can be balanced. For example, the pets can have a full array of skills that can be used only if put in the summoner's skillbar. If you want your pets to be strong, you better fill the skillbar with a bunch of pet abilities and maybe a heal, some buffs and some CC. This also makes a summoner-type character more versatile than in other games - you can solo as a summoner, fight in small scale pvp as a full psychic mage, and (assuming that psychic damage won't do much instant damage) be a CC-heavy support in large scale pvp.

PS: What's the point of summoning multiple pets if the more you have out, the weaker each individual one is? I think it should be more like a dog costs 1point, a wolf costs 4 points, a bear costs 10 points. At 20CHA you can have a maximum of 3 summons out with a total cost of 10 points.

• @Razvan point is more pets might be better as armour doesn´t reduce flat damage, but percentage damage. If ten weak hits hit just as well as three huge, I´d rather pick weaker ones, as one big pet can be kited, but probably not swarm of smaller ones ( in DII I rather used 3 dogs instead of 1 bear - he would hit harder, but not as often).

I think it should be more like a dog costs 1point, a wolf costs 4 points, a bear costs 10 points. At 20CHA you can have a maximum of 3 summons out with a total cost of 10 points.

Yep, I also hope it´s gonna be like this.

• @asspirin
    Having a big pet guarantees constant damage until he dies.
    Having 3 small pets (with 1/3 HP and damage of the big one; same attack speed and armor) comes with the advantage already mentioned by you plus the fact that if one is CC'ed, the damage temporarily drops by 33% instead of 100%. However, they die a lot faster and when they are dead, the total damage output drops (a bear with 20% HP will still do full damage, but if you have 1 remaining dog, the total damage is only 33%). They are also vulnerable to aoe (the bear will take damage only once, but all 3 dogs will take damage in the same time).

• @Razvan I admit that, but not due to fact that you have to have twice the hit chance than evasion rating to hit 85% of attacks, not all minion hits connect - thats why for example 2h weapons in WoW had such huge dmg compared to 1handed (2handed weapons had 3,2x dmg boost from strenght, 1 handed had like 1,7x if i remember correctly ... Fractured has same dps). So if your bear crits twice, he kills, but if he misses twice, you lost 😛 Im only guessing, but in most games many weaker attacks >> fewer stronger ones.

• @asspirin I haven't thought about crits and hit chance. Even if you find a correct mathematical balance between 1 bear and 3 wolves, if you scale up the number of pets (ex 100bears vs 300wolves), it will start to favor the wolves.

@Razvan said in Upgradable Pets:

@Farlander said in Upgradable Pets:

The cosmetic pets will probably be on the client-side and won't affect lag.

Cosmetic pets will probably be client-side because it's irrelevant if you see them at a different position than they actually are. How about the combat pets, as far as I understand it scales with CHA, so most people won't have 3 summons at once.

that's not how advertising works. when someone buys a cosmetic the developers want that person to advertise it to others and to do that is to simply have it be seen by everyone.

• @Jetah
    I know, but for cosmetic pets the server only has to tell the client "player X has Y pet". The client will then assign for the pet a position near the player and generate actions for it (move around the player, do a certain animation bla bla). This means that if me, you and Farlander are on the same location, we can see each other's pets, but they might not be in the same place / do the same action on each of our screens. On the other hand, when it comes to combat pets, the server has to register and tell each client their exact location, action, HP etc.

@Razvan said in Upgradable Pets:

@Jetah
    I know, but for cosmetic pets the server only has to tell the client "player X has Y pet". The client will then assign for the pet a position near the player and generate actions for it (move around the player, do a certain animation bla bla). This means that if me, you and Farlander are on the same location, we can see each other's pets, but they might not be in the same place / do the same action on each of our screens. On the other hand, when it comes to combat pets, the server has to register and tell each client their exact location, action, HP etc.

i could see removing the non-combat pets during large combat if the client is having problems. IE it's a 15v15 so the client removes those pets. but the game is isometric which limits the amount of loaded content the client has to keep in memory. there's only so much that can fit within the screen size.

• @Jetah
    Well, they are too small to take a noticeable area off the screen, but you are right. 🙂
    Anyway, I was just addressing the point raised by Farlander that extra cosmetic pets cause lag - it shouldn't be the case because adding a cosmetic pet only increases the size of sent packages by a tiny amount. Combat pets on the other hand...

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured