fun or no im asking

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

to be honest the game was ok. yes i know its an alpha and not done yet. but you really have to choose between two ways of playing 1 being having fun working on your character which does tend to be tedious and 2 daily grind cause it takes too much to upkeep and build everything. the no quest idea is ok but u still need a directional assist which is basically quests

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Birthright I've done a few of these alphas so far, and I am having a great time checking out the new material each time, but I totally feel you about building and upkeep.

In the actual launched game, a player will only build their house once. Yeah it's a big job. That's very realistic! But I think in the next test I'll try to find a few guildmates to build a shared abode with, or just sleep in taverns 🍺 🔥 bc I know how to build a house and that content doesn't need testing anymore. My 'for real' house can wait, and that work will be worth it when the house will last years instead of a month.

I spent the last part of this test seeing whether it was possible to keep a city going solo. My guildies moved on to another game's alpha and left a well-built city for me to live in. Now, could I make that work? Or would it decay and crumble? I was lucky to be in a city with a harbor and fertile fields. I made some good trades and found some nice connections. Not fun for everyone but definitely fun for ME for a week or so.

Fractured is not a game that is set up for long-term solo play at this point. Forming relationships and cooperative work arrangements is part of the challenge. The resources are intentionally distributed in a way that makes trade and cooperation necessary. That won't please everyone.

As time goes on it will be easier to play solo, I think - but being a hermit merc or a rootless trader depends on others doing the organizing to create home bases for solo players to foray to and from.

Do you have to 'build and upkeep everything' @Birthright? It's a conscious decision if you want to do everything by yourself, or if you want to trade with others and get what you need through that avenue.
    As for 'directional assist', why would you need that? The key concept behind Fractured is basically exploration, 'sandbox' and vertical progress.

@Logain I'm still confused over this concept of the game being based on exploration, because for me that has just been travelling to another not very interesting place on the map, all the towns look the same, as does most of the terrain, what do you consider exploration, that I just call mapping ?, as I've said in previous posts, I find Fractured interesting, but not fun.

@PeachMcD said in fun or no im asking:

Yeah it's a big job.

I would personally like that building effort is larger, and that it takes even more materials, brought from far away to be able to build your house.

This gives sense of bigger accomplishment when its finally done.

However, on the other hand, I would like upkeep to be a lot smaller.
    Upkeep is generally tedious job that noone likes, and any sort of upkeep really pushes you away from playing.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Still will be full loot pvp?

• Content Creator

@Stacy555 The major exploration aspect of the game is yet to be realized...it is an alpha afterall. They are working on systems and mechanics right now, not exploration. Even then, there are elements of the Sandbox Exploration theme of the game, and YES, a lot of that is what you call Mapping. Different featured Biomes will come later, especially when the other planets are added into the mix. Then we might even get some exotic biomes to explore.

Right now, you can gather different reagents for enchanting, be they plants or animal parts, as well as getting knowledge points for each new item you discover, as well as getting knowledge points for discovering new areas of the map you haven't visited yet. These are all explorational aspects of the game. The diversity of it all will come later when they flesh out the fully playable game for launch, but I wouldn't even conceive of the expectation before mid-late beta that the true magnificents of exploration will be realized.

Just getting to the bridges in the back end of the Vale of Shadows region, and the view there is in my opinion, one of the most stunning examples of what we'll have in store for us when they do get to fleshing things out.

• @Stacy555
    To me, the whole exploration thing just means that different biomes offer different resources and mobs, which forces some people (completionists) to explore more zones than in other MMOs, and others (gankers) not to do it at all. Most games have individual mob/zone item drops, multiple zones for each difficulty and randomized maps/dungeons (Fractured asteroids), so gameplay-wise there isn't really anything new here.

I've made a few post's since my purchase of an Alpha access package, most of which have been in the form of questions, hoping for answers that would change my negative opinions of certain aspects of the game, I have constantly been given what eventually turn out to be elongated and wordy versions of the same answer, "It's Alpha testing".

I still have the same low opinion of where the fun factor is, the ammount of repetition invoved in actual gameplay is grind, not fun.

I still feel the game is graphically lacklustre, terrain, objects and character look is very dated for a 2021/22 release, this quality will not change dramatically over the next year, but will become more diverse as new areas are exposed.

I am hoping to return in Beta and have to eat my words, I had high hopes for Fractured, but these are slowly diminishing as each Alpha is released.

• Content Creator

@Stacy555 The thing is, the answer to most of your queries is in fact "it's still just an Alpha"

Many Alphas, in fact, are barely playable or not playable at all, but just mechanical testing phases. At least in Fractured's case, they made playable Alphas with a fun factor for several of us, from day 1.

Expanded artwork: can wait til Beta
    Complex Biomes and Expanded Exploration Areas: can wait til Late Beta
    Refined skill usage to add diversity to the game and equipment available: Requires getting all the other mechanics right, so not only can wait until beta, requires it.
    Expanded Resource management and City Structure: That's what we've been working on right now, the ground work that will lock down those mechanics so that the next step will be expanding on this and fleshing it out...probably late Alpha into Beta

It's not that your questions are being ignored or swept under the rug, it really is the fact that much of what your asking about has no place whatsoever in the Alpha stage of game testing, and in fact, would detract from the goals Alpha-testing has of making sure the underlying mechanical aspects work together as seemlessly as possible. The true Fun stuff comes much later in a game's genesis.

Is there always going to be some kind of Grind-factor? Probably, no matter how different your MMO concepts are, some small amount of a game without an End-Point is going to be a bit grindy. Hopefully the focal points in the game as it develops will make the grindiness less a major concern and more something you do without really thinking of it as grinding.

I think that @Stacy555 is in a tough spot and they are correct to take the wait and see in Beta approach. Either all the fun killing concerns they have expressed are correct and hopes will be dashed or everyone else's assertion that 'its only Alpha' will prove correct and Beta will address @Stacy555 's fun killing concerns and they will have an excellent time playing Fractured.

As for me, there may be too many survival aspects in this game. I was so intrigued by the exploration opportunities that the game seemed to offer, but I had no interest in playing a survival game. I too am hopeful and will continue to watch the game develop with interest.

@Razvan said in fun or no im asking:

(...)so gameplay-wise there isn't really anything new here.

I'd suppose that creatures are going to act different, posses and require different skills, the environment is going to require different strategy (desert needs water, snow needs heat,...), basically, the idea behind vertical vs horizontal progression. You are acquiring more diversity in order to react to a broader variety of scenarios and threats.

@Gibbx said

As for me, there may be too many survival aspects in this game. I was so intrigued by the exploration opportunities that the game seemed to offer, but I had no interest in playing a survival game. I too am hopeful and will continue to watch the game develop with interest.

+1 on this. I bought in for the promise of no P2W and for Arboreus. I don't enjoy the PvP stuff at all, so this next test will be a challenge (if/when I win a key! I always will try!) but I know it's a part of putting things together that most players will be thrilled to see.

Totally down for letting others have some joy - my turn will come.

One thing adding PvP will do is add to the challenge of exploration (my favorite thing!). I'll probably do less of the exploration I love this time around, but that can't keep me from having fun if I think creatively.

Considering a monk/mage farmer focused on weapons-free combat skills - someone who can help w city upkeep and a little bounty hunting in town w/o losing too much loot if someone really wants to kill farmers.

@GamerSeuss Thanks for your input, I'm not sure the exploration arguement will hold up in the short term let alone the longer, do you think the maps will be that much larger than say the latest expansion of WoW ?, which could basically be covered in a day or so ?, If you factor in the non sustainable visits to other planets, then I guess you are correct but thats just a restriction that will be forced on players.

I feel the game is destined to be a niche, played by a slowly diminishing hard core group, as I say, just a feeling.

I am playing devils advocate here, I hope that my assumpitions are wrong, I truely do.

• Content Creator

@Stacy555 I stopped playing WoW so long ago, there isn't even a chance I could answer questions of potential comparison with that game. I found WoW to be too quest-driven, and much less free form for my tastes.

Like you, I'm looking forward to exploration, but also like many others, I'm not a PvP player, and I do get really excited about skills and especially enchanting options. The player run economy is what has me most excited, that and the more vertical progression system over standard Horizontal leveling.

If I were to hazard a guess...at release, it probably won't have as much to explore, enmasse as WoW on a single planet, at release, but I see, like with any other games, expansions in the future uncovering new areas within each world to explore.
    If you add the other two worlds in, probably much closer to such a long established game with a dozen expansions out there, and the limited time asteroids pushing it over the top. I also see eventually them adding some underground exploration areas, true dungeon crawls, and maybe some special rule instances on certain asteroids eventually.

I may be a pie in the sky dreamer, but I see in the developers, a kindred spirit in what I want and what they want to produce, so I'm hopeful.

• @Logain said in fun or no im asking:

I'd suppose that creatures are going to act different, posses and require different skills, the environment is going to require different strategy (desert needs water, snow needs heat,...), basically, the idea behind vertical vs horizontal progression. You are acquiring more diversity in order to react to a broader variety of scenarios and threats.

What you described is pretty much what I said earlier and it's nothing unseen: different biomes having different resources/thematic mobs and bosses having unique mechanics. Unless you're a completionist, traveling a lot is a huge waste of time with the limited teleporting that we have.

(...)One thing adding PvP will do is add to the challenge of exploration (my favorite thing!). I'll probably do less of the exploration I love this time around, but that can't keep me from having fun if I think creatively(...)

Why's that? Fractured and it's mechanics are nearly perfectly set up for people who want to avoid PvP and still be out exploring. Be creative!
    Go stealth and sneak past any evil person trying to fight you.
    Go extreme evasion and debuf resilience, then simply run/teleport away if somebody comes to catch you.
    The possibilities are there, use them 😉

@Razvan said in fun or no im asking:

(...) traveling a lot is a huge waste of time with the limited teleporting that we have.

Playing games is a huge waste of time, I thought that's why we all played games? 😉

@Logain 2 things you have brought up in your last post that are opposite of my idea of a fun game.

Firstly the ability to be to change class and play style at a whim, all be it with penalties based on original stat choice, where's the character immersion ? I'm a warrior ? oh wait I'll pop in an inn and look at me I'm a priest, oh wait I think I'll go rogue ???? , multi classing is not for me.

Second, Playing games is considered to be a huge waste of time, but not playing because you have to spend 30mins to an hour getting to where you need to be ........ thats just watching paint dry.

@Logain said

(...)One thing adding PvP will do is add to the challenge of exploration (my favorite thing!). I'll probably do less of the exploration I love this time around, but that can't keep me from having fun if I think creatively(...)

Why's that? Fractured and it's mechanics are nearly perfectly set up for people who want to avoid PvP and still be out exploring. Be creative!
    Go stealth and sneak past any evil person trying to fight you.
    Go extreme evasion and debuf resilience, then simply run/teleport away if somebody comes to catch you.
    The possibilities are there, use them 😉

@Logain LOL you literally just told me to do what I said I was going to do. 🤣

Great minds think alike and so do ours 😉 🖖

@Gibbx @GamerSeuss @PeachMcD , Thanks for taking the time to actually read posts, before making a reply.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured