What is the point of having your own plot of land?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I agree Solo players do have a place "Baldur's Gate".

This is an "MMO" ....the clue is actually in the title, the excuse " I paid my money but can't do everything" will never hold water.

So, having your own plot of land to be independent is one way of playing, but having a Citizenship, with or without a Guild membership and the need for social interaction, should also be an option.

Bank storage for me is not big enough, so the necessity of extra storage is a basic requirement, this alone would make me build a "Home" even if it is basically a warehouse.

• Content Creator

@Stacy555 As I said before, MMOs are about Multiplayer, not necessarily Group play. I can totally get behind there being some things that are meant for groups to overcome, like a Greater Wyrm, where several players or even several guilds have to band together in a massive raid to stop the juggernaut of a creature.

I am also okay with citizenship being required in order to have cheaper, easier access to certain crafting paraphernalia. Notice I said cheaper, easier access, not exclusive access. A citizen of a town could use a town's communal tannery to tan their leather for them and expect their taxes to cover that usage, where a non-citizen would have to pay a fee for the same use of that tannery. A solo player out in the wild with their own house could also eventually build a small tannery station of their own, but such a station might require materials not all readily available in the wild, in order to complete, or even just expensive chemicals to finish the leather bought or made using Alchemy. (I know leather tanning can be done with rather simple ingredients, but this is for the game), so the solo house out in the wild would need to either cart in special building supplies to finish building such a structure, or at least regularly go to town to buy the alchemical means to finish their product, or invest not only in a tannery, but also in an alchemy lab too. If you want to be self-sufficient, you need to have many more resources at your fingertips than someone who lives in a city and can just go to the market.

I think it is important to realize, however, that Fractured is in a state of Alpha testing...further, the Player Cities feature is only just now being introduced, so it makes sense that a lot of the emphasis on this phase of the test will be to encourage joining a player city over building a private residence. Certain features are also being tested out, and may or may not make the final cut. Sure, in the last test, there were individual crafting stations you could build on your private plot, but also in the last iteration, there were no player cities, and even the 2 starter cities didn't provide everything. The tanning tubs for instance were not usable by players in that test. People need to keep expressing their feedback, sure, that's what an Alpha test is good for, but they should also do so realizing that things changing from test to test are done not to punish one group of player-styles or another, but to test out specific features in a relative vacuum, a more controlled condition, before testing them out in a wider, more varied landscape.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@GamerSeuss said in What is the point of having your own plot of land?:

@Stacy555 As I said before, MMOs are about Multiplayer, not necessarily Group play. I can totally get behind there being some things that are meant for groups to overcome, like a Greater Wyrm, where several players or even several guilds have to band together in a massive raid to stop the juggernaut of a creature.

I am also okay with citizenship being required in order to have cheaper, easier access to certain crafting paraphernalia. Notice I said cheaper, easier access, not exclusive access. A citizen of a town could use a town's communal tannery to tan their leather for them and expect their taxes to cover that usage, where a non-citizen would have to pay a fee for the same use of that tannery. A solo player out in the wild with their own house could also eventually build a small tannery station of their own, but such a station might require materials not all readily available in the wild, in order to complete, or even just expensive chemicals to finish the leather bought or made using Alchemy. (I know leather tanning can be done with rather simple ingredients, but this is for the game), so the solo house out in the wild would need to either cart in special building supplies to finish building such a structure, or at least regularly go to town to buy the alchemical means to finish their product, or invest not only in a tannery, but also in an alchemy lab too. If you want to be self-sufficient, you need to have many more resources at your fingertips than someone who lives in a city and can just go to the market.

I think it is important to realize, however, that Fractured is in a state of Alpha testing...further, the Player Cities feature is only just now being introduced, so it makes sense that a lot of the emphasis on this phase of the test will be to encourage joining a player city over building a private residence. Certain features are also being tested out, and may or may not make the final cut. Sure, in the last test, there were individual crafting stations you could build on your private plot, but also in the last iteration, there were no player cities, and even the 2 starter cities didn't provide everything. The tanning tubs for instance were not usable by players in that test. People need to keep expressing their feedback, sure, that's what an Alpha test is good for, but they should also do so realizing that things changing from test to test are done not to punish one group of player-styles or another, but to test out specific features in a relative vacuum, a more controlled condition, before testing them out in a wider, more varied landscape.

Well said. Fractured's purpose shouldn't be (and isn't at all IMO) to alienate solo players, but to simply emphasize communal bonds in the form of cities and guilds.

Unaffiliated solo players will have a place in the game, I expect, but citizens and patrons of towns will (and should) have more conveniences and an easier, cheaper access to goods and services.

I have no idea why my name is tagged in you post, unless you only read the first line ?

@Harleyyelrah said in What is the point of having your own plot of land?:

Actually, Solo play has been a major aspect of MMOs since their inception with Ultima: Online. The point of MMO is to have a massive shared world where what you do has an affect, and what others do has an affect as well. There is competition, not just for scores on a leaderboard, there is the chance to group up to overcome very big challenges, like Mega-bosses, but a player can also stay solo, and spend their time in game maybe practicing skills, only to sell their wares to other players instead of just to NPCs.

Guild/Large group players just have to realize that Solo players have their place to, and every right to expect the game to also make the game fully playable by them.

A shared world is my point. Some solo players only want to be able to do everything on their own, without needing to interact with others at all. Solo players do have their place, but one person being able to achieve exactly the same thing as a team of 20 people is ridiculous. If a player doesn't want to become a citizen, that's fine, but then they should not be able to enjoy the privileges of citizenship. If it's about available crafting/being locked out of crafting, then they should either join a city, or trade with other players who are citizens.

if for a solo player it take a year to get what the group got in a week, what do you care ????
    it stupid to think that only part of the players should enjoy some features... it bad business, bad gaming experience and bad set of mind.
    the all purpose of this game is to take care of every single player, that why there is 3 worlds: PVP, little PVP and PVE, if you understand this, you can prohibit content from solo players.

@grofire said in What is the point of having your own plot of land?:

@Harleyyelrah said in What is the point of having your own plot of land?:

Actually, Solo play has been a major aspect of MMOs since their inception with Ultima: Online. The point of MMO is to have a massive shared world where what you do has an affect, and what others do has an affect as well. There is competition, not just for scores on a leaderboard, there is the chance to group up to overcome very big challenges, like Mega-bosses, but a player can also stay solo, and spend their time in game maybe practicing skills, only to sell their wares to other players instead of just to NPCs.

Guild/Large group players just have to realize that Solo players have their place to, and every right to expect the game to also make the game fully playable by them.

A shared world is my point. Some solo players only want to be able to do everything on their own, without needing to interact with others at all. Solo players do have their place, but one person being able to achieve exactly the same thing as a team of 20 people is ridiculous. If a player doesn't want to become a citizen, that's fine, but then they should not be able to enjoy the privileges of citizenship. If it's about available crafting/being locked out of crafting, then they should either join a city, or trade with other players who are citizens.

if for a solo player it take a year to get what the group got in a week, what do you care ????
    it stupid to think that only part of the players should enjoy some features... it bad business, bad gaming experience and bad set of mind.
    the all purpose of this game is to take care of every single player, that why there is 3 worlds: PVP, little PVP and PVE, if you understand this, you can prohibit content from solo players.

If this mentality keeps up, might as well gate anyone out who didn't pay 300 euros out of certain features.

Im quite sure cities will get more fine tuning as development process continues. It makes no sense that your city house is public acess so everyone can take your leather 🙂

So im certain more rights management will be added.

You will be able to say who can access what in your house, regardless of where it is.

@Gothix that not the issue, the issue here is solo vs group content.

I belive each house should have all the options regardless of where ot is. I dont see this as solo vs group issue. Even if city has tools and npcs that players can freely acess, people still like to have everything they want in one place.

Housing us a big part of mmos that support it, and limiting housing in cities would be a mistake imo.

Edit: Sure cities might have less space, that can quantititively limit players but it shouldnt limit them qualitatively.

There should be trophies to hang around the house. Depending on the trophy, these give a temporary buff after a rest, so that it is always worthwhile to return home!

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a use for my house. Can't enchant easier then this I'd think.

screenshots4.jpg

• Content Creator

@Stacy555 Sorry, hit the Quote button, and your who the reply tagged for some reason

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured