Mouse / Keyboard control

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah and I was very active in in πŸ˜› as I said - my first forum post was there. But I'm posting in EVERY topic about mouse/keyboard and not gonna stop πŸ˜›

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@gothix Pretty sure that if implemeted, wasd-controls would be only for you. Of course it's a bit of hyperbole, but wasd in isometric games is so impractical and uncomfortable, it's the same as asking devs to make the game playable with gamepads. The amount of players who would actually use this is so small that it won't worth the effort to work on.

Isometric WASD could be seen in Tree of Savior for example, and it was horrible, was one of the major downsides of the game, while classic isometric point-and-click is a well-established standart which is working for 20+ years already.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@dcccxix
    There’s a another thread from early this year that had more people asking for it. I would use it.

I even found some videos of keyboard movement being used in a isometric game to show how it’s possible.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@jetah you can share it and clarify it a bit. If it's a wow-like WASD, or something like in ToS?

@dcccxix
    it's no different than playing any isometric game on a controller (which Fractured should support).

I linked showing WASD movement in an isometric game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@dcccxix ToS has no mouse control at all. We asked for controls like in Realm of the Mad God πŸ˜‰ WASD for movement and mouse for targeting.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@tulukaruk this way it can work and it's simple enough to implement, unlike wow-like WASD controls. However, seems like it would handicap the one playing this way, but then it's his own preference.

• @dcccxix said in Mouse / Keyboard control:

seems like it would handicap the one playing this way, but then it's his own preference.

Assuming you can move and use abilities at the same time, it would be an advantage because you can aim in one direction while moving in the opposite which isn't possible with mouse only movement.

@target said in Mouse / Keyboard control:

which isn't possible with mouse only movement

It is possible because you can mouse click on some spot away from you and while your character is auto moving to that spot you can cast stuff clicking on players in other directions.

It just might be a bit more comfy with WASD movement (if you prefer playing with keyboard movement). It's why i prefer to have an option. I play every game with keyboard movement and mouse casting, it's just a lot more comfy playing like that.

Honestly I'm not sure if I will like playing with mouse movement, I might just give up if I will not have keyboard movement option (I might try it regardless, I'm just saying it's quite likely it will push me in direction of some other MMO. Just a honest statement).

Taking away an option of personalizing your game controls, today, is just a really, really bad decision from a game company.

• @gothix said in Mouse / Keyboard control:

It is possible because you can mouse click on some spot away from you and while your character is auto moving to that spot you can cast stuff clicking on players in other directions.

I don't think I've seen a game where that was a major part of the game's combat. It sounds pretty awkward and like it requires Korean levels of micro at the high skill end (which may or may not be a bad thing).

Here's an example of fixed camera WASD movement. To me it looks just as functional as click-to-move with the added benefit of being able to strafe and backpedal while attacking.

In my opinion, a game can't really have both types of movement because combat plays out differently for each type. WASD movement caters to more actiony combat where dodging is essential and something you're always doing, and click-to-move combat is generally more about trading direct hits with minimized dodging. IIRC Prometheus has said something like 90% of skills will be skillshots which makes it sound like Fractured could really benefit from WASD controls, but I also acknowledge that designing a game around WASD movement is much more difficult and may not be something the devs want to put development resources into.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

excellent I truly look forward to it now!!!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@lshreve for not there is only mouse movement and no wasd at all. we're fighting that bad @Prometheus to test it at least but we're losing so far πŸ˜‰

@tulukaruk said in Mouse / Keyboard control:

@lshreve for not there is only mouse movement and no wasd at all. we're fighting that bad @Prometheus to test it at least but we're losing so far πŸ˜‰

Maybe @Prometheus is using an Italian keyboard so he doesn't have W, and this is the reason why Fractured will not have WASD movement. 🀣

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix do you think if we mention @Prometheus enough times he might be annoyed enough to come here and drop a word? πŸ˜›

@tulukaruk
    i mean, last time it was no. i seriously doubt it'll change.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Assuming you can move and use abilities at the same time, it would be an advantage because you can aim in one direction while moving in the opposite which isn't possible with mouse only movement.

You can do the same with your mouse, the difference is your angles are not limited that way.
    That is, if you can actually use your mouse properly.

I don't think I've seen a game where that was a major part of the game's combat. It sounds pretty awkward and like it requires Korean levels of micro at the high skill end (which may or may not be a bad thing).

Here's an example of fixed camera WASD movement. To me it looks just as functional as click-to-move with the added benefit of being able to strafe and backpedal while attacking.
    Pretty sure "strafing" won't be in the game, just usual "moving to the side" like in all arpgs.

In my opinion, a game can't really have both types of movement because combat plays out differently for each type. WASD movement caters to more actiony combat where dodging is essential and something you're always doing, and click-to-move combat is generally more about trading direct hits with minimized dodging. IIRC Prometheus has said something like 90% of skills will be skillshots which makes it sound like Fractured could really benefit from WASD controls, but I also acknowledge that designing a game around WASD movement is much more difficult and may not be something the devs want to put development resources into.

Dodging is essential in any pvp. And of course WASD movement is possible but it will play out the same, since players will stand still while casting/shooting/etc., since game is planned as point-and-click based.
    Of course how "actiony" combat is, is also tied to abilities' mechanics. But in short, having WASD movement in the game where you can't shoot/hit on the go is pointless, will handicap player instead of giving him comfortable experience, and is only a matter of preference.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@dcccxix said in Mouse / Keyboard control:

You can do the same with your mouse, the difference is your angles are not limited that way.
    That is, if you can actually use your mouse properly.

That's 22.5 degree. I cannot see a situation where it matters.
    And moving in different direction then attacking is possible with mouse movement but require very fast mouse moves - it's hard to keep precision that way - or linear movement.

Dodging is essential in any pvp. And of course WASD movement is possible but it will play out the same, since players will stand still while casting/shooting/etc., since game is planned as point-and-click based.
    Of course how "actiony" combat is, is also tied to abilities' mechanics. But in short, having WASD movement in the game where you can't shoot/hit on the go is pointless, will handicap player instead of giving him comfortable experience, and is only a matter of preference.

Combat is supposed to be very "actiony" πŸ˜‰ So it won't handicap WASD player. What's more - all players would have the same control options so when it suits them then can just switch.

Or use it together (like I would like to).

Move with mouse most of the time, but use "WASD" (arrow keys, whatever) for an extra control option when I want to do some quick moves inside small area. Basically I would use mouse for medium / long distance movement, and "WASD" for micro movement. I would use both control options together in same time (it's not one OR the other for me).

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix that would cause problems to people that want only mouse move and skills / stuff mapped to WASD. As I don't want anyone to complain about WASD controls a switch would be best. Of course arrow keys controls by default that can be mapped to WASD should work as well and could be used at the same time.

@tulukaruk
    i'm quite sure if DS wanted us to have both click-to-move and wasd then the keybinds could work for it. worst case a user just removes the wasd keys bound to movement so they can use them for skills. I have my Orbweaver setup for the arrow keys and would rebind the in game from wasd to the arrow keys.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured