Switching Characters

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Whats stopping a beastmen or a human from switching to their demon character to do something bad sense we will be able to make 3 characters

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

what is the issue ? there is 3 different planets, it will be hard to get to the same place 2 characters.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@grofire doesn’t mean it can’t and won’t happen

it might happen, i guess it will be rare, since there is timer on how much time race can be off planet, but why its an issue ?

• @grofire Because it could be explotaible and lame, you can pk someone without getting consequences on your main in Syndesia for exemple? Problem is for multiaccount more than multichar anyway.. I alredy questioned a bit about it, i strongly prefer a one account\IP policy with some domestic partnership expections that must be reported before.

@00 again, i do not see the issue, you need to be careful from evil alignment, what does it mater if that person will have neutral character too ?
    spy always was, and always will be part of the games, and i think its fine.
    this game have a timer on how much time a character can be off-planet, so i guess that it will be rare that someone can go spy, and log the other character and run to attack, it will take him long time to do so.

@00 said in Switching Characters:

@grofire Because it could be explotaible and lame, you can pk someone without getting consequences on your main in Syndesia for exemple? Problem is for multiaccount more than multichar anyway.. I alredy questioned a bit about it, i strongly prefer a one account\IP policy with some domestic partnership expections that must be reported before.

1 account per IP would cause problems for families or friends who live in the same house and want to play the game together.
    And if people want to "cheat" with multi accounts they will always find a way. Like using 2 computers while running 1 through the neighbors WIFI internet, so it has a different IP, or loading up a VPN when logging in the 2nd account so make it look like it has a different IP.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Ok more than 1 account can’t be stopped almost all online games will have that as a problem but I’m asking about the more than 1 character you can create 3 and I was thinking maybe there should be a timer to prevent people from switching from 1 character to the next often in order to stop things like spying or at least reduce it

• Depends on the scale of the game, even in a 1k+ players online game spying "ghosting" or griefing with multiaccount could be a problem, in smaller scale community this problem will be even worse\bigger.
    I come from UO where i was using x3 account, 1 for doing high level PVE object, 1 Pk hidder to kill the blue competitor\red PK and 1 to recover my main with gate to escape, grief enemyes with steal reagents\bandage or with bring mobs or ress my chars. Well it was like a job, for me a game like this have to be a single player experience or the immersion will be ruined. If we was speacking about a themepark with 10k+ player online the multiaccount factor could be neglected but it wont be the same for a sandbox game, especialy with a niche community..
    Think about two miners that are in a mine 1km north from a city. You socialize with this person and after 2 minutes a brigand come to steal all your rare ore, meanwhile he have no problem at all with abovementioned thief. This situation won't be much fine, especialy if you suppose that the same miner is using that thief meanwhile he farm his own materials with the "blue" character. Then you bring your main warrior to gank the grey criminal and maybe he counterattack bringing his mage were he can take a kill for that sweaty loot you bringed on the warrior. Well all of this is stressfull and won't happen if every person have his only his own account and there is a character timer to log off in a safe home\tavern to be able to swich without have to waiting 5\10min like in UO.

For sure is early to speack about those gameplay issue, but maybe with the wealth of experience that we already carry with us from other games is possible to build the game around an enjoyable way. That said the three planets with different flag and pvp system is alredy a good thing to discern players with different behaviors..

@Crache I am hoping for some cool down before you can switch to your different character.

So if you log off, you can instantly log on to character you already played before log off, but if you log off and want to log on to different character, you have a cool down and you have to wait a bit. This could prevent players switching characters quickly to abuse situations.

define 'something bad', first.

will spying happen; yes
    will the things that happens in Eve happen in Fractured; probably.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@jetah I’ve never played eve so I have no clue what your talking about and ya spying is 1 of the few things I meant when I said something bad but you can consider the bad things as any problems you can think of yourself with the ability to switch from up to 3+ different characters at any moment

@crache
    you shouldn't be worried about same account access. It's multiple accounts you should worry about.

for the most part beast will be shut off from the other 2 planets. so swapping between won't be a problem unless there's an invasion.

between the neutral and bad planets where eclipse's happen frequent might be a problem but a second account would be more helpful as you can read the convo and relay it to your alignment.

one thing that happened in Eve was a player paying to get revenge on another player. The player joined the corp (guild) and worked themselves up to being the right hand person to the target. then on one day at a certain time all the belongings to the target were removed from the guild hangers (think guild bank but the locations weren't connected). The implants (character boost) and ship were destroyed which summed up to at least 40 billion; the hit was 2 billion up front.
    Here's the full details but i suggest adblock/ublock: https://www.geek.com/games/eve-online-player-walks-off-with-45k-after-in-game-corporate-scheme-1284022/

An easy solution would be, that when you log in your character you spawn at the nearest spawn point, or even spawn on your home world. Instead of exactly where you logged off.
    Having a cooldown time from logging 1 char to the other, will just push people who want to use multiple character for bad things into multi accounting, so doesn't solve anything, other than annoy the common folk.

And spying will always happen, especially if there is much to gain from it. Like EVE-Online, you learn to not trust anyone.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I really don't see any problem with being able to use more than one character. If the problem is switching to another character to kill players and return to the pve account, people that want to do it will just use 2 different accounts. If the problem is spying then you need to block streaming of the game too, because people could be watching a stream in a second screen and getting information from the other factions.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Assassino Same with me - I usually use mult-characters to change my current play style with the game - to different stuff. Sometimes it happened that I changed character strictly to kill some other player, but it was in revenge that he killed my previous char.

Multi-account is a bit more dangerous in this case, since all characters can be at the same spot at the same time. Having to change your character on one account will cause you current character to disappear from the map/location, therefore breaking his/her current action and giving you a heads-up that something may happen in a moment.

I alredy questioned a bit about it, i strongly prefer a one account\IP policy with some domestic partnership expections that must be reported before.

This is a really bad idea. Just imagine yourself somewhere on vacation or business trip and trying to play from the hotel, from the coffee shop, or any other fast-food joint or public place with shared Wi-Fi. You wouldn't be able to log in, since somebody else is already playing from that spot.
    Also some internet providers change your IP every time you start your computer (or daily). What would happen if you received a new, random IP, that was already used by a different player not-so-long ago. I had a situation just like this. Got banned cause day before a different player from the same IP did something illegal. They thought that I am the same player using different account. It took over two weeks to explain the situation with the devs and to be able to log back into the game.

Well all of this is stressfull and won't happen if every person have his only his own account and there is a character timer to log off in a safe home\tavern

Well, logging off does not change anything. The Thief you mentioned can use multi-accounts just the way you mentioned it. And there is the same danger all the time, even without using multi-accounts. It is enough that the thief will call up his guildmates to gank you...

@evolgrinz said in Switching Characters:

An easy solution would be, that when you log in your character you spawn at the nearest spawn point

That would be an easy solution, but also one that is not applicable in Fractured. Since in Fractured you have to travel the distance "by foot", getting spawned in nearest spawn point could be used as means of fast travel.
    Also, if you travel for a long time and did not stumble on a spawn point, you would get back to the beginning of your journey and have to do everything once again.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@evolgrinz good idea thank you

@dybuk yes, prefctly explained.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

When it comes to multi accounts I like to think sense this game isn’t free that means they payed for another account so jokes on them 😝

• TF#10 - CONSUL

as @Crache siad it's b2p so multi accounting won't be an issue on normal player scale. It should still be checked if more then one account plays from 1 IP but it hopefully won't be as much of an issue as with f2p games.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured