Discord store announced

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Would the Discord store be a good thing for Fractured?

Source: https://engt.co/2OYpzjC

Edit: also asked on Discord to see if reactions are different. Ppl have very different opinions on Discord in my experience

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@benseine
    it'd be interesting for launch but i'm not sure discord or DS wants to be on that store pre-release.

at best, DS needs to know what Discord will take for their cut. If it's cheaper than Steams' 35% then it's worth looking into.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@benseine said in Discord store announced:

the Discord store

Yet another installer? I don't mind paying a few € more when I can get a game in my steam library.

@jozef said in Discord store announced:

the Discord store

Yet another installer? I don't mind paying a few € more when I can get a game in my steam library.

you want valve to take 35% of each purchase from DS? because that's what valve gets every time you make a purchase on Steam.

and many people already have Discord installed because it's a superior communication app.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I don't think that they will be selling for a few years outside of crowdsourcing. Hard to tell whether it will be a good job several years down the road.

@needlehawk
    getting on a platform seen by millions helps, and can be cheaper than ads.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@jetah said in Discord store announced:

the Discord store

you want valve to take 35% of each purchase from DS? because that's what valve gets every time you make a purchase on Steam.

and many people already have Discord installed because it's a superior communication app.

Valve only takes 35% if the steam key is sold through steam, not for keys sold through other sites. Running the servers to install and patch games, isn't cheap. Discord won't do that for free either.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Well, lets say Discord and Steam cost exactly the same to publish. Do you think Discord or Steam would be better?

I personally think Discord. Because it is new every gamer will take a look at it. Especially every mmorpg player, since almost every mmorpg player comes in contact with Discord if they want to play with others. On Steam, Fractured will just be another title in the jungle of thousands of games that get published there.

Well, lets say Discord and Steam cost exactly the same to publish. Do you think Discord or Steam would be better?

I personally think Discord. Because it is new every gamer will take a look at it. Especially every mmorpg player, since almost every mmorpg player comes in contact with Discord if they want to play with others. On Steam, Fractured will just be another title in the jungle of thousands of games that get published there.

you have a point, currently, that the Discord store will feature less games and would be more noticeable.

I never look at anything else than the chat rooms and chat with friends on Discord myself.

Having some popular youtubers do a video review about the game or have some popular streamers play the game on their stream, will do more to increase the popularity than just sitting there on either Discord or Steam.
    For me it's mostly how I learn about new games, that I often end up buying.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I on the other hand do not have an account on Discord...

"The goal here is to reduce clutter and provide a haven for high-quality games, rather than a dumping ground for every pixelated project that comes its way."

This is the main reason why I give big advantage to Discord over Steam. Plus Discord has player communication set up a lot better then Steams crude chat. It will just be the way to go, and Steam will remain when you want to check other smaller games. (Of course, players that already have games purchased through steam will keep playing them through Steam, that's why Steam surely won't go down, but Discord will surely take over a large part of cake.)

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@evolgrinz well I think Discord will change a bit when the store comes out and you probably see store announcements somewhere on your screen if you are chatting.

@gothix
    Steam started that way too. It was curated games picked by Valve employees.

I hope they can self publish and keep the 30% for themselves.

@jetah said in Discord store announced:

@gothix
    Steam started that way too. It was curated games picked by Valve employees.

Well, lets hope Discord ends up by turning into something better.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah A downside though could be with less games comes less traffic. I'm not sure if that would be the case with Discord but I've never actually used the Discord store myself.

@ladyrowan said in Discord store announced:

@jetah A downside though could be with less games comes less traffic. I'm not sure if that would be the case with Discord but I've never actually used the Discord store myself.

are you one of the few canadian testers?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Why would people suddenly start buyin games in the discord store instead of on steam?

Prices will be the same.

Ok, there might be less junk games. Does anyone actually notice those. I buy the games I want. I don't use steam to get to know new games.

Maybe some devs will only sell their game through the discord store and not through steam. There a lot of tripple A companies that have their own store. That works for them, because they have popular franchises. Smaller companies will sell less games if they avoid steam.

Discord isn't the first to try to compete with valve. CD Project Red tried it with GOG. I like the way CD Project Red does business and GOG isn't bad. But, it's not a popular platform. Only people who detest valve or DRM prefer it. It's just easier to keep using Steam.

Why would people suddenly start buyin games in the discord store instead of on steam?

Prices will be the same.

Ok, there might be less junk games. Does anyone actually notice those. I buy the games I want. I don't use steam to get to know new games.

Maybe some devs will only sell their game through the discord store and not through steam. There a lot of tripple A companies that have their own store. That works for them, because they have popular franchises. Smaller companies will sell less games if they avoid steam.

Discord isn't the first to try to compete with valve. CD Project Red tried it with GOG. I like the way CD Project Red does business and GOG isn't bad. But, it's not a popular platform. Only people who detest valve or DRM prefer it. It's just easier to keep using Steam.

Discord could actually lower the price by taking a lower percentage cut and then pass that on to their consumers.

Take Monster Hunter World for example

$59.99 on Steam Direct
    $53.99 on Humble Bundle

Discord could also offer it for $53.99 directly which might inspire someone to buy it on Discord vs Steam.

Now, Square is going to get their $42 either way. Discord might be willing to take a $11.99 cut vs a $17.99 cut.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured