Lore or snore...

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Not sure how much experience y'all have with a game called Warframe, but there is a large portion of the game that is based around discovering the lore throughout. You do this by equipping your scanner and scanning objects/enemies/environmental items SEVERAL times before you finally finish out that lore object and get credit for it. I just want to hear how Fractured will handle the lore discovery in this game, especially since it will be an even more central facet than Warframe.

---Hopefully it won't make me feel a need to kick a door with needles under my toenails---

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Man Warframe was such a grindfest haha

Is it still?

Anyway I'm honestly hoping that getting to know the lore will feel a bit less systematic.
    In Warframe they have an excuse because it's futuristic and all that, but I wouldn't like some sort of magic-scanner spell of item that automatically fills my little lorebook.

Would it be cool to find books, like you would in skyrim? Maybe find a way to reward players for reading them.
    I'd love to have my own little bookcase at home 😄

@WoLeFiE Heck yeah, books would be awesome! At least that way it's engaging, and maybe throw in some rare finds somehow. Judging by Fractured's intro video, I'm thinking it might be just a one time discovery your character makes, like walking into a new zone in WoW fills in your map type deal. Praying thats not just speculation.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I hope Dynamite get this right as it would really add some depth to the world.

Getting lore right is tricky though. Because lore is storytelling where the world is the main character.

Like all storytelling, you have to start out with a hook and give the audience a reason to care. Once they're invested, you can give them some information, but you have to break that information up with something exciting. Each spike of excitement needs to feed back in to a reason to care about the next chunk of exposition. Interest curves apply.

I've played too many games *coughPillarsOfEternitycough* that treat lore as a massive text dump that only gives the audience a reason to care after you've waded your way through a novel's worth of exposition. By which point most of that exposition will have been forgotten in the mind of the audience anyway.

I'd prefer more out of game lore. books & comics, both can be print and online. Then reference the material in game with item creation flavor text and books, statues, tablets in game.

@KairosVal @Jetah My dream for this game is weapons/armor/special crafting items whatever that are rare with a lore story tagged to them like in Diablo 3. Sure, they might have the whole website lore page where you can view all the text about the monster species you've been harvesting fur off of for hours, but I really want stuff like a huge flaming axe that got its flame from the blood of an angel as it lopped its head off.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@zidroc I feel like that might be a bit shallow for lore though lol

@WoLeFiE I like little snippets that allow you to piece together these epic tales of lore. Shallow is just taking what's written at face value.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

i hope they blend the lore into the environment
    for example: you venture into a cave and find a wall drawing which you can then interact with to read or listen to the lore
    or an old tree with carvings in its bark dating back to who knows what age

@Ufke That would be interesting, but the magic of that find might be lost in the top down display. With that, it would most likely be just a glowing point to click on.

• Wiki Editor

I don‘t know Warframe.
    But i hope very much for Fractured, that the exploring of Knowledge will be combined with a strong lore.
    I see Knowledge not just as getting some skills, but much more as a base of explaining, why you can use a special skill.
    A story around each Knowledge you can collect, would be for me a real strong revolution, because in this case you can carry the lore till the deep „endgame“.

• The bestiary can actually serve a similar function to Warframe's codex – fully unlock an entry and unlock a relevant lore snippet.

@zidroc
    depends if the developers make it glow or not. Now if it changes after someone reads it then it'd be entertaining.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@zidroc
    well from the videos of the game i've seen the details are pretty spot on so if they did this i wouldn't be to concerned about it not being properly visible
    also they could make it so the camera angle changes to a more 1st person view like how gw2 does that when you interact with a point of interest
    or maybe a window pops up with a close up screenshot/art of it to showcase it.
    you can go all kinds of different routes with this

Hopefully we will be heard

• TF#10 - CONSUL

For me, having deep lore is more importatnt than the specifics of HOW you gain it, as long as the method isn't immersion-breaking.

What would y'all think of how SWTOR did it, with lore videos on their website? @Ufke @Warpuppy @Jetah

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@zidroc
    ive mixed feelings about those.
    i love to find lore in-game and puzzel it all together , but if a game uses different arks to progress in a timeline like gw2 does then a video summary of the previous time ark is great! as it helps old players Remember what they were doing and introduces new players into the story that is the current one

but definitely not against it if it can find its place and niche

@zidroc
    so i have to out of the game to watch a video? or do i interact with something in game which unlocks something in the UI so I can read/watch the lore?
    personally, i ignore most of the lore. you point to things you want dead or that i need to click or follow.

@Jetah 😂 reading up on a bunch of lore can get pretty boring. But sort of, SWTOR videos were about background lore that led up to the conflicts that you play in the game. They were all pretty cool, and gave some neat glimpses into the Star Wars universe. With Fractured, I'd like to see videos about the deities and the conflicts that arose between the families on each planet. I don't want them to ultimately just tell us how the planets split up, I'd like for that to be the story you try to piece together as you run along in game.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured