Bit worried where the Kickstarter is

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

For a community of this size, the first couple of days of the Kickstarter should have seen way more activity.

I'm absolutely stoked about the design of this game, and want to see it succeed. But I still need to ask the question:

Are our community numbers padded out with fake accounts; people trying to raise their level by introducing "new" people, which are really just sock puppet accounts of their own?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

There might be a bit of that because let's face it some people look to get around the system whatever it is.

I think there are more that are just not sure of the game yet and are still on the fence on whether they want to invest in it. There are still outstanding questions on how the crafting and the towns and politics are going to work. They've said they will address some of those in their upcoming information releases so I'm hopeful that will pull more people to make the choice to join the kick starter.

Personally: I decided to go ahead and put my support into the kick starter. I like what I've heard so far and even though I still have questions and I may not like all the answers I think it's a game worth seeing made and playing.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@ladyrowan said in Bit worried where the Kickstarter is:

Personally: I decided to go ahead and put my support into the kick starter. I like what I've heard so far and even though I still have questions and I may not like all the answers I think it's a game worth seeing made and playing.

I agree with you, 100%. There's enough on the table to make the call or not.

And given only 360-something people have, I think our community size here is way off reality.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Being active on the forums is cheap. When you ask for money you see true community!

There are some people that can’t use KS because they don’t have access to credit cards. Even prepaid cc aren’t available as I’ve asked.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@jetah said in Bit worried where the Kickstarter is:

Being active on the forums is cheap. When you ask for money you see true community!

Indeed. But you also need to see enough of that "true community"!

We made a pretty good start, but if we're already starting to plateau, that's a bit of a worry.

I think we'll need to end this month-long Kickstarter with at least 5000-10,000 backers.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

They'll likely meet their minimum goal of 100,000 Euros, but unlikely to hit their 250k desired goal (believe that was posted on a press release plus on this forum a while back). Given that they're getting about 3k Euros a day after day 1, and there's 27 days left to go, then if current trends continue they'll end up at 36K (current amount) + 3K * 27 days, which is equal to €117K. This is also ignoring how pledges usually spike towards the end of a campaign on the last day as well.

I'm personally more worried about how they're going to get the rest of the money for the game. €117,000 is a tiny amount for developing a simple indie single player game (unless you're doing something like Papers Please, which is essentially just one guy's salary for a year), never mind an MMO. Hopefully they can get either a lot of private investors to back them, or a big publisher to help them push the game through to the finish line. If they can get this finished with €5,000,000, and have a successful launch + constant updates afterwards to grow the game, they'll go in the books as geniuses for doing something that has never been done before in the history of making MMO games.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@basileus said in Bit worried where the Kickstarter is:

I'm personally more worried about how they're going to get the rest of the money for the game.... Hopefully they can get either a lot of private investors to back them, or a big publisher to help them push the game through to the finish line.

You don't have to worry, the game is planning to move forward either way. At least according to number 4 on the Kickstarter FAQ:

1. What happens if the campaign fails?

If Kickstarter fails, there are ultimately two paths possible. We could repeat the campaign later on, or we could move directly to the second step and start selling the pledge packs here. Either case, we'll be set back a little and development will be slowed down, but it's not the end of the world.

Dynamight Studios is a financially stable company. Careful business planning, coupled with backing from the three founders and private investors, make us feel safe about the future of the project. Plus, we are already in touch with a few large game publishers that have shown interest in Fractured.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@basileus said in Bit worried where the Kickstarter is:

I'm personally more worried about how they're going to get the rest of the money for the game. €117,000 is a tiny amount for developing a simple indie single player game (unless you're doing something like Papers Please, which is essentially just one guy's salary for a year), never mind an MMO

My take is that they're asking for the minimum to get it really humming along, then sell to a publisher and/or get major cash from investors.

Chronicles of Elyria tried to do this and, thus far, still hasn't found a dancing partner. Even had to lose SpatialOS affiliation because they couldn't afford it.

I wouldn't worry about this too much, they are doing well enough. But still I think our community should advertise the Kickstarter more tot heir own communities and social circles. Too bad Kickstarted games have such a bad reputation...

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@rekoor Everyone always says they have everything planned out, but in game development (or business in general) it's almost a guarantee that something goes horribly wrong, or at least something gets massively delayed. Camelot Unchained for instance is nearly 3 years overdue (but is going into Beta 1 in a few days), due to the need to refactor their entire codebase regarding abilities. The lead developer actually had to put out an extra $2 million USD from his own pocket, and get another $7.5 million from private investors who were his friends from back when he published DAoC so that they could push out the Beta this year (and hopefully release in 2020).

I have great confidence in Camelot Unchained now however, as they have a game engine (one they built from scratch) that supports 1000 vs 1000 players on screen on a mid tier computer without dropping below 25 FPS. At the very least they have an asset (their custom game engine) that is at least worth as much as the amount of money they have put into development, and if they need more money they can license that out to further fund development.

Kickstarter and the rest are fading in popularity a bit. If you back a few projects you will get bit. I have two in mine that are full on fails and several games that sold for much less on steam even while in early access.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I want to back but I can't via Kickstarter because I don't have a credit card. But I think they said they will add PayPal backing to their website after the Kickstarter campaign.

• Lets be honest, after all the Fail and Scam campaigns that players have encountered in the last years, im the first that have promise to myself that i will never found another campaign, don't matter if there is a pistol aiming at my head. That said at some tier i will probably support, because i like the enterprising concept that they are trying do develope, immortal is very intersting but 300€ are still a good amount of money for my state.. Else i will continue to follow and be positive\helpful in this project without taking any financial risk at all. Im sure that everyone here got his disappointments in some projects that have fund and there is nothing to blame if people now are skeptics about this "new" development path: pay KS>pay EA> have a product that you enjoy 25\30% chance

Btw, i had a very alcoholic night sorry for my bad english..

didn't DS already announce they had secured private funding for the game? I don't believe they are entirely reliant on the KS campaign.

as far as being shy about crowdfunding this game, even though I cant actually play the game I fell like the Fractured has already provided the more entertainment value that what I pledged so I have no worries at all.

go go go DS!

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Hi @ehrenlos, after the kickstarter (even if it fails) ends they will sell the packages on their own website. Giving more opportunities in ways of paying! They don't know yet which options will be available.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@gibbx said in Bit worried where the Kickstarter is:

didn't DS already announce they had secured private funding for the game? I don't believe they are entirely reliant on the KS campaign.

They have indeed and, even if they hadn't, the amount they're looking for is way too small to finish the game. They'd need in the low millions, basically, to get it over the line in any shape or form. So, yes, there are going to be other funding sources, but I'm really hoping that's not putting people off pledging. Because clearly, when you take the size of this community and weed out some people who don't have credit cards (vocal, but a total minority), and stuff like that, it still seems there's a disconnect between how many people are in the community versus where the backing's at. Like I say, I think we've probably got a ton of sock puppet accounts here.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@00 said in Bit worried where the Kickstarter is:

Lets be honest, after all the Fail and Scam campaigns that players have encountered in the last years, im the first that have promise to myself that i will never found another campaign, don't matter if there is a pistol aiming at my head. That said at some tier i will probably support, because i like the enterprising concept that they are trying do develope, immortal is very intersting but 300€ are still a good amount of money for my state.. Else i will continue to follow and be positive\helpful in this project without taking any financial risk at all. Im sure that everyone here got his disappointments in some projects that have fund and there is nothing to blame if people now are skeptics about this "new" development path: pay KS>pay EA> have a product that you enjoy 25\30% chance

Exactly this. Absolutely stoked for the game, however I am completely burnt out by Kickstarter fails at this point to believe in anything.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I'm not too stressed about it.

From what I've seen, the plan is to drip-feed information over the course of the kickstarter campaign. Each information release should in principle result in a spike of interest in the campaign.

I do hope it goes through - I want my Immortal EB rewards. But the game will be going through anyway, so it's not the end of the world.

Looking forward to finding out more about the game over the next month.

I don't know why people bother with alt accounts really.

I have only one account, and I am already level 90+ (in only 2 months I've been here) and am around position 70 in leader board. And game is still far away from release.

Any player can have all rewards from foundation without a single recruit, just by being a bit active in the community.

I promoted Fractured a bit in my community discords (discords from my guilds in various MMOs I played / play) and I got like 5 people now that registered over my referal link. One of these people leveled a bit, other just created account and lazy to level, slackers. 😛

So I basically don't have any points from recruits, and I don't have any rewards from promoting Fractured (I do promote it, I just don't bother to share screenshots of it in forums to apply for rewards).

And still I reached extremely high level in foundation, in short time, just by being active.

__

So people, creating alts isn't necessary at all. It really isn't...

• TF#10 - CONSUL

having 40% in 3 days looks like it's going to be ok 🙂

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured