Anti-Magic School

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I was thinking about an anime I watch and the protagonist is an anti-magic 'class'. He has zero magic but can use weapons (2h sword and 1h sword) that nullify magic. The weapons themselves consume magic if a magic user holds them.

I can imagine this anti-magic user dies. a caster sees the weapon and takes it. while venturing out they see their mana depleting and aren't sure why. When they return to town they ask around and find out that the sword/weapon is consuming the users mana.

The anti-magic school would be physical ability based skills.
    Block would turn the sword to block attacks or deflect projectiles (like magic missile or a fireball).
    a special ability would be to reflect projectiles toward the mouse cursor (think Genji from Overwatch and his reflect ability) but it's magic abilities only. Someone case frost ray this ability would redirect it to someone else if the frost ray caster were aiming at the anti-magic player.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah said in Anti-Magic School:

I was thinking about an anime I watch and the protagonist is an anti-magic 'class'. He has zero magic but can use weapons (2h sword and 1h sword) that nullify magic. The weapons themselves consume magic if a magic user holds them.

Asta from Black Clover. Well his weapons are somehow magical and comes from the grimoire. So theoretically we need a spell to create weapons that can nullify magic and not something forgiable by balcksmiths.

@jetah Well, I have in mind 2 options: 1. the game may have a skill sucking mana from the enemy. 2. the game can be runes that Deplete the enemy's mana reserves

• TF#10 - CONSUL

We are talking about something that can nullify a skillshot by swinging a weapon. But that would be too OP.

@finland said in Anti-Magic School:

We are talking about something that can nullify a skillshot by swinging a weapon. But that would be too OP.

Yes, I'm a little understood topic, although and know about what the work says our author ( I read the manga about it). But I believe that skills silence then must spread and on physical skills as in DotA 2 or Smythe and other games

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@muker silence and energy drains are commons. I'm pretty sure that we'll see them in Fractured too.

@finland Well, how does us abdeli more than 40 positive and negative effects

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah it's situational (assuming it's very weak vs physical) so it fits the game design. With the large ammount of INT based schools you probably get alot of magical FotM builds.

But without seeing the +400 skills we don't know if something similar is already designed to counter magic this way. Only the devs can tell...

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@finland Maybe we could have something like mana drain effect. That would be close to anti-magic, without nullify skillshot 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@zwiterion I suppose that drain abilities are already planned 😉

The school of Abjuration includes a vast array of powerful protection spells, coupled with several ways to negate or modify the effects of other magical or physical abilities.
    Knowledge of Abjuration allows the caster to grant immunity to magical and physical attacks, absorb or reflect hostile magic, and generate auras that negate the adverse effects of the elements. A typical user of this school is also good at disrupting the magical defenses of the opponents, leaving enemy sorcerers helpless and turning them into easy targets. Some Abjuration spells even allow the caster to banish items and beings out of existence for a limited time and to trap foes into alternate dimensions.

^ From Spotlight 4

The abilities will be there, whether they will exist as weapon enchantments as well is up to the devs.

@benseine said in Anti-Magic School:

@jetah it's situational (assuming it's very weak vs physical) so it fits the game design. With the large ammount of INT based schools you probably get alot of magical FotM builds.

But without seeing the +400 skills we don't know if something similar is already designed to counter magic this way. Only the devs can tell...

In the anime the protagonist is quite strong and handles himself very well against physical attacks but there aren’t any no-magic heroes. He’s the first and people seriously underestimate him. His swords nul attacks so if a fog is used he can swing wildly and dissipate it. If angolem is summoned his attacks will dissipate then too.

He said seen as a familiar Lee from Naruto. He’s built his physique as strong as he can. He’s now fighting with his captain who’s trying to teach him to feel with his being (all senses aka ‘KI’) to predict where attack will come from.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Easy: Just add blink, mana-burn, magic shield and dispel as abilities to the various schools and let the game theorists sort out how best to optimize those three in an otherwise combat-focused class. 😃

@kairosval

The idea is a zero magic ability character. Or at least the mana is burned by the weapon to boost other attributes.

Ie using the sword means no mana abilities can be used. But your physical attributes are all boosted to 20-25. You have abilities specific for this weapon that allow you to reflect and null magic.

Character walks around and suddenly, out of nowhere, dies and looses his all gear and stuff.

30% people in this situation might go to town and ask around why this happened, and how to prevent it in future.

70% people might instantly rage quit. 😛

• Wiki Editor

Hehe @Gothix i can imagine how funny that would be. 😉

Also i can imagine, that it will be possible to play Anti-Magic, since you will learn from the things you do. So just preventing to use any magical influence could be a cool thing for an Roleplay Character.
    Just think about, how derisive you could be against using magic.

@gothix

why would someone just instantly die?

• Wiki Editor

@Jetah don‘t you know the great Mutawakel? It just can kill everyone if it is in mood. And a non magical talented character could oversee this possibility. 😉 😄

@jetah said in Anti-Magic School:

@gothix

why would someone just instantly die?

Because he was carrying anti-magic sword in his backpack that he looted somewhere before, and sword was rigged to blow when someone that had it used some magic ability.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I like that idea @Jetah.

(Not really on topic) I've always thought it would be really cool and skill intensive if you could deflect spells back at enemies, or cancel them entirely.

To elaborate; here's an example: Mage shoots fireball at warrior, support uses a skillshot spell and hits the fireball just before it reaches the warrior, causing it to dissipate mid air.

On topic - I think it would be cool if there was a knowledge point school that entirely loathed magic as a whole and had abilities based on that.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured