Can you be a thief?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

do u guys think u can run something like a ESO thief guild?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@pringlesdose Since there will be a guild of merchants in the game, I think that they will be the antagonist of the guilds with a slope to raid caravans in order to cash in

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I mean you can try my good friend but I don't think we Of [ NETC ] will take kindly to thieves. So I'd tread carefully!

(I'm pretty sure I read something about theives and murderers in one of the spotlights!)

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@pringlesdose what do you mean? Ambush team? I think that if you take the right builds and you will go for ganking/pking you will achieve your goal πŸ˜‰

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@meerkhat said in Can you be a thief?:

I mean you can try my good friend but I don't think we Of [ NETC ] will take kindly to thieves. So I'd tread carefully!

(I'm pretty sure I read something about theives and murderers in one of the spotlights!)

Yes, being a thief and/or a murderer was mentioned in spotlight 6.

So to the OP, if you can be a thieve, you can team up with other thieves, form a guild... and voila, be a thieves guild πŸ˜› Dunno if that is like in ESO

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Idk about ESO but yea, you can be a Thief in this game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

the mentioned Thief status will be gained by stealing from other player dead bodies. For now we don't know if any pick pocketing or stuff like that will be in game.

• @tulukaruk You knock someone unconscious before you can kill them. Thieving is just looting them after knocking them out, but not killing them.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@target you can not loot someone that's alive πŸ˜‰ you need to kill a player to loot him πŸ˜‰

Perhaps, pick pocketing could be a special knowledge skill that needs to be unlocked among the rest of the skills. It would get unlocked through some subterfuge or similar tasks in the world.

You could only pick pocket from stealth and if successful you would steal a small amount of currency from another player. There would also be a CD on using the skill, so it's not abused.

Also if you are spotted (regardless if that is short time after pick pocketing, or while doing it) you would automatically get aggressive status, same like if you attacked player.

You would also be aligned properly to be able to pick pocket (same rules as for being able to initiate attack on someone).

• @finland I thought I read it in the pvp spotlight, but it doesn't say one way or the other. But it does make a distinction between thieving and murdering, and I don't think they would say that if you had to kill someone to loot them. Keep in mind, you have 2 health bars (endurance and health). You take endurance damage before you take health damage, and when you lose all endurance you become unconscious. Knocking someone unconscious isn't killing them, and I think this is where you can steal from them. If I had to guess the difference between thieving and executing/looting is that you can't steal equipped gear. The reason I'm not considering pickpocket is because it hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@target check the video if I remeber well Prometeus tells it there also.

• @finland Do you have a timestamp? Just watched it again and didn't notice anything about theft. The closest thing Prometheus says is that you drop all your equipment if you die, which doesn't go against what I said.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@target if you die you can be looted. If you are knocked down, he said nothing, so technically you can not be looted. Would be useless to have endurance if you can be looted without be killed.

• @finland said in Can you be a thief?:

If you are knocked down, he said nothing, so technically you can not be looted.

That doesn't make logical sense. The fact that he didn't say anything means it's an open possibility.

Would be useless to have endurance if you can be looted without be killed.

It would make sense if your inventory could be looted, but not your equipped gear.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@finland said in Can you be a thief?:

Would be useless to have endurance if you can be looted without be killed.

No it wouldn't? Running out of endurance is like fainting, and you "respawn" right where you are if nobody kills you by the time you recover.

As seen in the prealpha game footage, most wild animals will stop attacking after you faint - so even if you dropped your gear, you'd be able to pick it right back up and continue playing.

I would presume other players can also resuscitate you while you're in Swoon state. They can't do that if you Die For Real and have to respawn.

I think you should be able to loot Swooned players. You get Thief and bad karma for doing so, but you won't be flagged a Murderer because you didn't kill them. You either mugged them, or you took advantage of them when something else KO'd them.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@fibs I don't think you need to respwon or get your corpse if you run out of endurance. You just need someone to pick you up or prolly go out of combat to regenerate soem endurance

STEALING 1:

If you are killed by the mob (or by environment) you drop your stuff on the ground. You can resurrect and reclaim it if you are quick enough. However, if someone else is quicker he can also loot it from the ground, and in that case THAT is stealing.

STEALING 2:

If you killed a mob you get loot permissions on it and you can loot it. Someone else can loot the mob too if he is quicker than you to its corpse, but in that case THAT is stealing.

Those were 2 cases of stealing that I think devs were talking about.

OTHER:

There was no mention of pick pocketing of any kind, but who knows. Maybe we will see that in game too, there is still long way to go.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix said in Can you be a thief?:

There was no mention of pick pocketing of any kind, but who knows. Maybe we will see that in game too, there is still long way to go.

I really hope not.

@gothix

if someone is dead they don't need their gear.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured