How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@darian

I’ve played games where all 2h are interchangeable, all 1h are interchangeable, all shields and all dual equip. So long as the animations are similar the transmog can work.

I’m amazed that no one mentioned the ‘magic’ and illusion of being able to change the appearance of armor.

I seriously doubt everyone here would check out a persons gear before attacking.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@benseine said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

@jetah and the selfdefence part of Krav Maga teaches you that your fighting stance looks like you're scared, to give your attacker the illusion of control, while you wait to take control of your attacker 😛 So bring on that transmog system, great for cashshop items!

You fail to comprehend the main point. Transmog system is not a wardrobe, it is reskinning an item. Wardrobe is more along the lines of fashion (which is a better suggestion). Please understand the topic we're trying to discuss. Transmog sucks because after reskinning an item you will easily lose both the item and the skin because there is no way of avoiding death in this type of game unless you want to live in the town for your whole life.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'm not opposed to transmog as long as there is a way for another player to easily find out stats of the equipment or if it's just completely disabled in pvp situations. And obviously you shouldn't be able to make a sword look like a staff or a wizard robe look like heavy knight armor, etc.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@chrightt Has your gear dropping been confirmed? I must have missed that.

• @jetah said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

I'd love to see some plate enemies wearing cloth and has a staff transmog instead of a 2h weapon. I'd file it under the 'it's magic that makes their armor look like cloth' it could be a perception skill check or have a skill that can pierce through the deception.

I think that's something that should fall under illusion magic. Cloaking/deceptively changing the look of your gear could be fun, but I think it would get a little out of hand if anyone could do it all the time.

@chrightt said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

@jetah and the selfdefence part of Krav Maga teaches you that your fighting stance looks like you're scared, to give your attacker the illusion of control, while you wait to take control of your attacker 😛 So bring on that transmog system, great for cashshop items!

You fail to comprehend the main point. Transmog system is not a wardrobe, it is reskinning an item. Wardrobe is more along the lines of fashion (which is a better suggestion). Please understand the topic we're trying to discuss. Transmog sucks because after reskinning an item you will easily lose both the item and the skin because there is no way of avoiding death in this type of game unless you want to live in the town for your whole life.

I’ve heard transmog and wardrobe both mean to disguise the normal gear for something that looks different. I wouldn’t argue the terminology unless someone was seriously mistaken.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

You fail to comprehend the main point. Transmog system is not a wardrobe. Transmog sucks because after reskinning an item you will easily lose both the item and the skin because there is no way of avoiding death in this type of game unless you want to live in the town for your whole life.

Wardrobe or reskin, doesn't matter. It still comes down to how you implement it ingame. If you reskin an item and the skin just gets saved/unlocked in your skinlist or skintab or something. You can just grab any weapon after death and reskin it the same. Very simple.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@dagimir said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

I cant remember exactly where, but they stated that gear will be dropped and it also wont have a big impact on your stats either. That way if you lose them, its no problem.

Never been big into transmog, as you said in EQ it was bragging without bragging to walk around town in in the best gear in the game. Being the first on my server with Natures Defender and second to have Fiery Avenger turned heads and having a full suit of (insert top gear armor) and people would run over and inspect you and you were buried in a flurry of tells asking about your adventures. I would hate to miss out on some of that.

@mazikar but you still could. problem is when that content is last expansion and the new gear doesn't look as good. You may say "man that Natures defender and Fiery Avenger looked so much better" then you could get that look but retain the new gears stats.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

I’m amazed that no one mentioned the ‘magic’ and illusion of being able to change the appearance of armor.

There is a difference between transmog/wardrobe and illusion magic:

• Transmog/wardrobe are permanent. You do not have to use anything to maintain the changed look.
    • Illusion magic has to be cast and most probably will have some kind of duration.

I'm against total transmog/wardrobe, for reasons people have mentioned earlier. It would be mood-spoiling if full-plate armor could be made look like a pink pajamas - I think this is not this kind of game (and I'm more into role playing your character, then making fun of him/her).

I would vote for a possibility to have control over the look of a weapon or armor during crafting - so the created item could look as badass as you wanted it to.

And I would definitely support possibility to change your complete look using illusion magic - not only weapon and armor, but also gender, age and even species. For example, you could change your look to an animal, to prepare an ambush for passing players, or just to avoid the pursuit of players or mobs.
    Still, illusion magic would have to be cast, would have a duration and could be countered - either by high perception score or by different magic.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@jetah I've played some as well. Still , in those games, swords and maces behaved exactly the same (same skills, same damage output, same secondary effects) I found that annoying and I quit playing those games. Anyway, that's personal opinion. My point though, is that in the games that let you have a mace look like a sword, it doesn't really matter whether you have a mace or a sword so it won't have much of an impact on the strategy that should be used against you. Also, in all the games i've played that allowed you to swap "skins" like that pvp was definitely not important. It was just something you could do if you really wanted to. As for illusion magic, I think @Dybuk gave a pretty good answer.

I never said the transmog would change a mace stats into a sword stats. It’s a cosmetic change only. I’m was thinking of Diablo 3 when I was writing that.

I’ve never seen a bow be able to be changed into another 2h weapon.

I do prefer the Wardrobe system from Rift than the Transmog system from WoW. Although the artifact weapon changes in WoW was much better.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I'm not a fan of transmogrification system at all. I find it important that what you see on the outside is representative.

@armentia I upvote this for say 'transmogrification', although disagree with your point. I want to look as cool as I want while I actually have my best gear on. oy vey I think back to some of SWTOR's ridiculous hats... shudders

@dybuk said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

There is a difference between transmog/wardrobe and illusion magic:

• Transmog/wardrobe are permanent. You do not have to use anything to maintain the changed look.
    • Illusion magic has to be cast and most probably will have some kind of duration.

I'm against total transmog/wardrobe, for reasons people have mentioned earlier. It would be mood-spoiling if full-plate armor could be made look like a pink pajamas - I think this is not this kind of game (and I'm more into role playing your character, then making fun of him/her).

I would vote for a possibility to have control over the look of a weapon or armor during crafting - so the created item could look as badass as you wanted it to.

And I would definitely support possibility to change your complete look using illusion magic - not only weapon and armor, but also gender, age and even species. For example, you could change your look to an animal, to prepare an ambush for passing players, or just to avoid the pursuit of players or mobs.
    Still, illusion magic would have to be cast, would have a duration and could be countered - either by high perception score or by different magic.

what if.. the transmog person was an illusionist that had your gear visual in a wardrobe? What if the illusionist was able to make the item completely change like.. uh magic..

I don't think anywhere we said we want bikini bathing suits as transmog items. I don't think anywhere we said we wanted pink PJ's as a transmog items. I don't think anywhere we said we wanted .. well you get the point. Put the ideas of current fashion, Asian mmo fashion behind you and think of the possibilities of just Fractured. Every time I've posted on this thread, I've thought of medieval style gear, not thongs, not hot pants, not tutu's, not TF2 hats.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I’ve heard transmog and wardrobe both mean to disguise the normal gear for something that looks different. I wouldn’t argue the terminology unless someone was seriously mistaken.

yeah, but the OP clearly stated what transmog is and if you read the whole thing, someone did mistaken the meaning stated by the OP.

@dagimir said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

yes it is confirmed.

You fail to comprehend the main point. Transmog system is not a wardrobe. Transmog sucks because after reskinning an item you will easily lose both the item and the skin because there is no way of avoiding death in this type of game unless you want to live in the town for your whole life.

Wardrobe or reskin, doesn't matter. It still comes down to how you implement it ingame. If you reskin an item and the skin just gets saved/unlocked in your skinlist or skintab or something. You can just grab any weapon after death and reskin it the same. Very simple.

No it isn't because I haven't seen a game where you can skin an axe a sword. That makes things too unfair because of misinformation. Therefore, you can't simply lock the skin in. That would be like having a sword skin when you're not using any item.

@chrightt

WoW 5.2 patch notes (in 2013) say:

Transmogrification rules have been broadened for several weapon types.

• Two-handed axes, maces, and swords can be Transmogrified to each other.
    • One-handed axes, maces, and swords can be Transmogrified to each other.
    • Staves and polearms can be transmogrified to each other.

The OP statement said "allows you to make your weapon and armor look like any other weapon or armor that you've unlocked". The OP didn't state specifically via replacement of the item model or a wardrobe tab where you can place items in. Again I can see the terminology to mean the same thing even if the mechanics are different. If that's something you're focusing on then don't.

While looking up Rift's Wardrobe system, it works in similar fashion to WoW's Transmog. After some searching it seems Rift allows swords to be transmoged/wardrobed as axes.

@jetah WoW transmog would be fine. Rift wardrobe would be ideal. I loved that system. Could completely customize how you looked and I've always liked that.

@gynz

I like Rift because of the dyes. WoW was disappointing because you needed that heroic/mythic run to get the tint you wanted.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured