How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

The transmog system in other games allows you to make your weapons and armor look like any other weapon or armor that you have unlocked. Personally I feel like this detracts from seeing other people in an mmo who have earned really epic gear and having that moment of awe. In past mmos like everquest it was always really cool to run into the people who had top tier gear that was all fancy compared to my peasants clothes. What do you guys think?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@dagimir I think this will be used against players)
    Are you intentionally wearing simple leather clothing on the locations of the average level to attack you, but in fact you steel. Thus you will force naive PK players to attack you, for which they will pay.
    In General, you will disorient the enemy with their appearance.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

That's not a transmog system. A transmog system is a stupid one where you have to already have two items and then you consume one to give the other one its appearance, which I find pointless.

A wardrobe system is great so long as it has sane limitations. As @muker points out, complete unlimited "look like anything" systems are terrible because a Death Knight in 1000 pounds of metal can put on a cloth armor skin or just go around naked. This destroys any sort of immersion and grossly unbalances any form of PVP.

Dark Souls actually does this intentionally - if you perform an incredibly good run in one of your NGs, you can get rings that make your weapon and shield invisible.

A wardrobe system should classify armor by weight and allow you to choose any armor piece of the same weight. The basic armor classes in most games are:

• Light - Mage clothing
    • Medium - Mostly leather with some metal here and there
    • Heavy - Full plate over gambeson

This usually doesn't apply to the hat - generally you can wear any or no goofy-ass headgear as a style.

It allows the developers to sell something other than items. I love that Path of Exile has so many items it can sell that's cosmetic only. It could be used to change the GFX of skills also.

@muker People wore cloth hoods and cloaks to conceal plate and chainmail armor for centuries.

@FibS but Fractured doesn't have 'classes' nor do I see it having armor restrictions based on skills or abilities. If you want to wear plate and be a caster, sure, but your stats may be reduced because of it.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

top tier gear

It should not exist. I really think that there will be a large variety of equips but all balanced. Nothing like other games otherwise will became grindy. Gear will not influence the combat so much you hope. Personally I would like to see only cosmetic equips and not a powerfull tier system like wow or similar games.

Said this I don't care about trasmog.

• I'm fine with it as long as it's still possible to tell what kind of armor someone is wearing.

I like the idea, but there should be some limitations. Like heavy armor can only be changed to look like other heavy armor. And a two-handed sword can only look like other two-handed swords etc.

And I like the aspect of someone who might be wearing noob-ish weapons and armor while underneath it's very good gear. Then PvP-ers would need to be more careful about attacking any random person on the street.
    Or the other way around, a person in noob-ish weapons and armor, who makes it look like super epic gear to prevent from being attacked.

@evolgrinz

how would you feel about cloak that go over armor?

I like this idea. SWTOR has a great wardrobe system. your toon can appear to be wearing whatever you want for cosmetic reasons but you are actually wearing your best gear. I like this for 2 reasons. 1, sometimes better gear just doesnt have the look you want and 2, keeps people guessing as to what you real level is. I guess this second point would be less important in Fractured as there wont really be a leveling system. also I imagine there will be some sort of mechanic where you will be able to get info about a potential opponent. Still I like it cuz you can look as cool as you want.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gibbx Swtor wasn't much more than a wardrobe dress up game though. It would have died without that.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

I agree with everyone stating the wardrobe should still show the type of weapon and armor you are wearing, to give an idea to everyone looking at you, about what your strengths and weaknesses are most likely to be (you could still set up your stats and skills in a way that would surprise them, though). The argument referring to knights wearing robes over chain mail/coat of plates, doesn't really stand. Trust me, your first glance will tell you whether he's got armor underneath. The cloth was there to keep the dust away, and show the crest. As far as having good gear that looks poor, for deceptive purposes, That would indeed be interesting, but only if there is a reputation mechanic with a powerful in game impact (access to certain areas in towns, guard patrols will only protect noble people and so forth, npc-s refuse to talk to or serve plebs and vice versa, of course) that derives from how rich you look.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Personally, I think if they implemented this system it would suck real bad so that almost no one would use it. Why? Simply because in Fractured, once you die your gear can get taken away (like Runescape, Albion). what the heck is the point of transmogging? Basically turns into a crappily designed system on the dev's part. There are reasons why games where gear change hands quickly don't really implement this system. People just have to understand some game design.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@chrightt Depends on how you implement it in the game. If you can save presets in your wardrobe tab you can load back your appearence after death. Very simple.

When people go to a bar they don't know the skills of other people. They don't know if someone is a great boxer or if another is top 10 MMA in the state or local area, they don't know if someone has a gun or a knife or if a person is completely passive.

A transmog shouldn't let anyone know exactly what the character does. If I hate 2h axes I should have the ability to change the visual to a 2h mace or sword. I don't see my 2h being seen as a sword n board nor a dual dagger or hatchet.

This is an open world pvp with a knowledge style skill system. We shouldn't know if the character is a fire caster or water caster or if they're a necro (aside from the obvious risen dead). We shouldn't know if the person is great with swords or axes or a shield. The transmog system could give resistance from just jumping a character. Not knowing if the character is melee or a caster is big for both parties.

I'd love to see some plate enemies wearing cloth and has a staff transmog instead of a 2h weapon. I'd file it under the 'it's magic that makes their armor look like cloth' it could be a perception skill check or have a skill that can pierce through the deception. I'd love an easy system to swap looks, I'd hate to need to create a new piece of gear to get it imbued with the new look.

I'd love to see dyes that are found and/or crafted. I'd entertain the idea that there's a profession dedicated to transmog and dyes.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah and the selfdefence part of Krav Maga teaches you that your fighting stance looks like you're scared, to give your attacker the illusion of control, while you wait to take control of your attacker 😛 So bring on that transmog system, great for cashshop items!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I do not want one

@Jetah
    I don't think cloaking armor pieces would be a good thing. An exception would be the helmet as some people spend a lot of time in the character creation and wouldn't want to hide their work under a helmet (guilty here myself 😸 ).

@dagimir respectfully disagree

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah hahahaha yeah bro during medieval age people could camouflage their weapons to look different. Sarcasm. If you are wielding an AXE that should stay and not mogging it to a BOW (for example). If you don't like it just use a different weapon.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@jetah I doubt that if you see a guy wearing a zweihander, you would expect that zweihander to behave like a Dane axe! This is (insert friendly insult to intelligence here). All your examples refer to concealed weapons! It has nothing to do with obvious stuff. If you see someone with an assault rifle... you can expect a certain type of threat. If you see someone wearing full Kevlar, you can expect your 9 mm pistol to be completely useless unless you specifically aim for gaps in the armor. In game, a full plate gives you a certain type of damage mitigation. Anyone attacking a person wearing full plate should be able to expect that. A sword has a different form of damage output and effects then an axe... I should be able to expect that from a player wielding an axe. Sure, your skills may influence the effects in ways I cannot predict but not your gear itself. a physical object with the properties of a mace cannot behave like a sword (it bashes but it doesn't cut or thrust, and it's weight distribution forces the wielder into committed swings due to incredibly tiresome and sluggish feints that won't really fool anyone).

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured