Character name + stat bar fadeout?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Hello!

Is it, or will it be possible (via options) to make the character name + stat bar fade out after a certain amount of time, so that it's not on top of everything all the time? It pops back up upon damage being taken etc.? This is a QOL thing for me, personally.

Just a newbie's shower thought.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

First time I have ever heard of this in any game. I am used to being able to move or hide my character status bar but never heard if it fading in and out. Personally, I think that is a bit much on extraneous coding to do.

However, I do have a probable alternative that you may like just as much and would actually have a bigger impact and usability for everyone.. and that is screen layout setups. I have seen a few games that have used this system. I have seen games that allow you to have up to 4 different layouts for your GUI that you are able to switch between with a single key press. With this system, you are able to hide and/or move any window to any location on your screen and then save the whole layout to later switch to when you want. This system allows you to tailor your screen to specific tasks you are doing in game... i.e... one for PvP, one for Crafting, one I like best.. is inventory management and access, and one for whatever they add later.

UO had this. You could move all the bars, packs, menus etc.. to wherever you wanted them.

• Content Creator

Yes, so did EQ. If you download and play it now, it still has the ability to customize your GUI and save presets.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Ostaff said in Character name + stat bar fadeout?:

First time I have ever heard of this in any game. I am used to being able to move or hide my character status bar but never heard if it fading in and out. Personally, I think that is a bit much on extraneous coding to do.

However, I do have a probable alternative that you may like just as much and would actually have a bigger impact and usability for everyone.. and that is screen layout setups. I have seen a few games that have used this system. I have seen games that allow you to have up to 4 different layouts for your GUI that you are able to switch between with a single key press. With this system, you are able to hide and/or move any window to any location on your screen and then save the whole layout to later switch to when you want. This system allows you to tailor your screen to specific tasks you are doing in game... i.e... one for PvP, one for Crafting, one I like best.. is inventory management and access, and one for whatever they add later.

Is it really the first time you've heard of it? There are many games out there with things like this. Specifically health bars. Skyrim for example. Think of things like Escape From Tarkov and many other shooters that hide your hotkey bar or health status unless you switch weapons or take damage. I see no reason why it couldn't be possible to do things like that in this game to allow players a greater view of the screen. Usually things like this are implemented for immersion. I am 100% for stuff like this.

@d3Sync said in Character name + stat bar fadeout?:

rs a greater view of the screen. Usually things like this are implemented for immersion. I am 100% for stuff like thi

I don't remember Skyrim having a stat bar like an MMO to begin with, but when I said games.. I was specifically meaning MMOs. The character stat bars in MMOs tend to show you a lot more useful information such as the rest bar and satiety bars in this game. So, I would very much go the route of having the ability to move and hide windows over having them fade in and out. Fading would be a custom piece of code, while the move and hide would be a generic version that can easily be applied to all GUIs.

Granted, they could add Fading much much later when they have time if they wished.. but I would definitely put in the move and hide for the QoL early on.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Ostaff it worked rather well in Ultima Online for example. Upon character pop up on your screen you saw their name, title, etc. but it faded out after a short while so the screen wasn't filled with HP bars and names. Upon selection it'd be enabled again of course.

And like was said, it's been done in many a game. Perhaps you're thinking of most 3rd person MMOs but as the POV is the same as in UO for example, that's why I thought this would work rather well instead of the whole screen being a mess.

As for the implementation of a GUI setting like this being extra coding... I would of course not ask for such a thing to be implemented right now, I believe in QOL settings being added over time. There's a lot of work in developing other aspects of the game already. But this was an idea for implementation for the future.

Perhaps add a hotkey for enabling/disabling nameplates early on? One could just press a button to clear the screen of nameplates, and enable them back on whenever the player wishes. Simple and genious!

Anyway, just an idea.

we straight up need UI customization.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured