How do you think the Economy will actually function?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Fractured definitely seems to have potential to have its economy system run very differently from other traditional MMOs. Im not sure if there will be a bounty system or how trading will work in this game (if there will be a global/regional marketplace accessible anywhere/in towns). Im excited to see how players interact with one another via a potential bounty system, or trade routes between cities/towns/planets, or through PKing. I can definitely see guilds controlling specific regions for their resources and having to defend it from other guilds or raiders, or players fighting over rare resources or trade routes. What are some of your thoughts on how you see some of these things working?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

There are mechanics in game called "Asteroids" which either has a once in a lifetime interval, daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly which would give people access to a lot of "guild-locked" resources. Asteroids have rules similar to the 3 main planets; some are full loot, lawful pvp, or no-pvp.

They're generally thematic; i.e, biomes, mobs, etc. etc.

Due to that, i don't think that a monopoly would be as effective as these asteroids would seem to have a very common occurrence.

As for the market itself, it's really hard to gauge it considering we're legit years away from full release and that we don't even know how much we don't know at this point in time.

But if I were to predict it, the market would have its phase depending on player needs. I think during close-beta to initial release, there would be a good demand on house building blocks if they're ever sell-able.

• Wiki Editor

I think that markets will be local like banks. It wouldn't make much sense to have local banks and global marketplaces.
    Trade routes will be tempting for PKs since you need to move everything in your cart so even if you manage to escape, while being ganked, you still leave behind cart filled with your merchandise for them to loot but this will also open opportunity for people to be hired as guards and protect merchants and also bounty hunters to hunt down criminals. Goods will definitely have to be transferred between cities since city will have only access to certain resource nodes.
    alt text
    Asteroids are interesting mechanic but it will probably cause PvP over resources on it. Does someone has link with good info on asteroids for wiki?

@GorTavaro said in How do you think the Economy will actually function?:

Asteroids are interesting mechanic but it will probably cause PvP over resources on it. Does someone has link with good info on asteroids for wiki?

asteroids were answered on Q&A so most of the info a bout it were scattered.

Here's everything that i've learned a bout it so far...

1. Interval - Once in a lifetime Asteroid; passes once and never again, some revolves/orbit and has a regular interval between once a week, month or year in realistic time (real world).
    2. Asteroid Content - Some are deprived of lifeforms, others are rich in resources and minerals, varies in concentration level?
    3. Reaching Asteroids - Can be achieved via events, rituals, etc. etc., conducted in a fantasy sense. (dev didnt say too much)
    4. Why go to an Asteroid? -
      Asteroids are 'resource thematic' and are typically concentrated in terms of resources, some resources in your home planet could be in a territory dominated by an opposing guild. Some resources are also quite scarce and are hard to find. Some asteroids have lifeforms or creatures that are hard to come by and therefore it could be a great opportunity to farm them for resources or skills.
    5. Rule sets - Some asteroids have different rulesets that are akin to planetary rules; Lawful PVP, PVE, Full loot PVP.
    6. Time duration - Asteroids could last for a week or an hour.
    7. Building - Players can build structures on an asteroid, i.e; encampments, roads, workbenches. Players cannot conquer asteroids. Player built structures can/will last in an Asteroid, albeit they will be in ruins over time. Building materials can be salvaged and rebuilt, other players can salvage any ruins.
    8. Tasks - Some tasks for your 'Knowledge upgrade' can only be done in an asteroid (abilities).

As for the cart thing.

Im sure that the cart can't be accessed by other players? or is that a different cart?

• Wiki Editor

@Zori
    Well, how else would you get thief tag? You can't steal in claimed area. Only two options i can think about is looting corpse(confirmed) and stealing from cart/wagon(i think). Cart is not claimed area. It's not possible to steal now but there are also no criminal tags implemented yet.
    Thx for info on asteroids. I will try to find those Q&A and update wiki.

@GorTavaro

For the asteroid, there were also some minor info on transformation.

All I've uncovered so far was that transformation was irreversible (Human - Lich, Demon - Angel, Beast-man - Abomination).

One would expect that local resources will be low in price, and resources brought in from other planets will be expensive, so people think they will get rich by travelling, gathering abroad, and bringing reources back to own planet for sale. But...

In reality, there will be so many players that will do same thing, they will undercut each other, and prices of non local resources will drop, so they will end up being just slightly more expensive than local ones, and will be nothing that will get you rich.

The only way to get rich will be by territory control, having a strong clan, imposing your own rules in zones you control, collecting taxes, going on military offense and robbing enemy clans of their goods, and if sucessful, your clan can get wealthy, and so can you.

The only way explorers and gatheres can get wealthy is by forming own strong clan, trying to control prices, by attacking competition phyiscally and politically. With military support from allies, that help them in said thing.

Noone will get rich solo. So if that is your dream, forget about it. You will need a support of a strong clan / alliance, or you are getting nowhere. Well... at least not to some extreme, you can have own house, some gold, and farm... to really get rich, you will need to be a part of strong organization. And not only low member, but someone with a "position" inside it.

• Wiki Editor

@Zori
    I have added more info i found in Q&A on transformations on wiki. Things like: Angels can't live on Tartaros but can live on permanently on Syndesia. To transform to angel you will have to go through Tyros quest chain and have good karma.
    Abominations can live permanently on Tartaros.
    Lich's transformation is similar but he preserves karma and alignment he had before. He has weakness to fire, increased resistance to cold spells, doesn't need to eat and have affinity for necromancy and abjuration.

@Gothix
    Traveling to other planets is suppose to be hard but you still can travel across your world and gather materials there. How it will affect local prices is hard to predict. I agree that you will need other players to play because otherwise you might become easy prey to evil players. This of course open opportunity for people to be hired as guards and for bounty hunters to kill criminals, which i like. Everyone gets something that fits his/her playstyle.
    Having big guild and don't rely on strangers is of course advantage but i can see people cooperating on city level too. Cities will even have their own chat i just don't know if it will for citizens or for people currently in city. I would prefer city chat be for citizens so you can chat even while you are not in city.

I hope there will be local constructible and upgradeable marketplaces in towns and therefore local economies as well. I am quite confident that resources and consumables sales quite well. I am a little bit concerned about how the crafted items will sell, especially because the flat tier system and everyone can craft almost everything mentality. Moreover, enchanting might cause too much variations to gear pieces which just do not sell.

• Wiki Editor

@Tuoni
    Local market places are necessary for economy to work properly. Crafted items will probably be crafted on order and delivered directly to customers i can't image crafting them and putting them on market with so many possible combination. There might be some meta what to wear but even then it still seem like too many options if you want to make products for every playstyle.

@GorTavaro Yeah, local economies will be a thing but how the trading is planned to be implemented in practice is something at least I am not aware of. Marketplace with buy, sell, buy order and sell order options would work really well.

I have a big concern related for trading. It is said that items are unrepairable, therefore, how that will effect to the trading? Who will buy used items? What about item listing, e.g. in market place, how it will be implemented because most of the stuff will not stack (because different durability % and different enchant variations)?

I am also wondering how the trading of crafted (brand new) gear pieces will work out especially if the enchanting is involved? Enchanting offers tons of variations which can once again make the listing in market places quite overwhelming, in addition, that will also lead to situation where most of the stuff put in the market will not sell. Back in beta test phase Albion Online faced a similar problem, the markets were full of gear pieces with different abilities and passives, and only the cookie cutters were sold. Therefore, they changed the system that abilities and passives are no longer chosen during the crafting process and players can change these freely, with appropriate cooldown of course.

How this problem is planned to be handled in Fractured? One option is to sell crafted items without enchant, but how the enchanters will make money then? Perhaps enchanters could create enchanted scrolls which are then sold and attached to the gear pieces afterwards, like in WoW. However, are we still in situation that only cookie cutter enchant scrolls will sell and we just moved the problem from items to enchants?

@Tuoni Maybe we don't show the enchant stats on the vendor? 🙂

It's a grab bag. You get what you get! Hope you're lucky, cause son, THERE ARE NO RETURNS!!! Mwuhahahahaha.

@Tuoni

On a more serious note though, what that means is that the devs will just need to make sure that a majority of the enchants are needed. Instead of catering game play to just a few enchants, make it so that almost all enchants are needed to accomplish a goal. Ie. In Ryzom we have full sets just for Poison Resistanec, then Acid Resistance, etc. due to where we are actually wanting to travel to.

@Ostaff It is really hard to make most of the enchant variations reasonable choises especially if there are at least hundreds of different possibilities, perhaps even more. Making enchants for yourself does not need to be that accurate and you can make some concessions and testings. However, when you try to sell something weird, special or different, that can be hard, because supply does not reply to general demand.

Moreover, if we think the loot drops, what if most of the stuff you get are weird low durability items what does not suit for you and are also hard to sell?

If we go back to original question; How do you think Economy will actually function?

Because of several open questions and unresolved issues, I predict fundamental problems.

• This post is deleted!

• @Tuoni said in How do you think the Economy will actually function?:

Because of several open questions and unresolved issues, I predict fundamental problems.

This is my exact feeling.

At this point, we don't have enough information and it's very hard to predict how the economy will work.

A solution that would make the market usable would be to have dedicated refiners instead of dedicated crafters and only be able to sell mats on the market instead of full items. Instead of having item quality, you have material quality which would be affected by refiner's stats. Crafted items have the same quality as the materials they are made of. Damaged items can be refined into raw materials, which scales with durability. So basically it's the Ikea of MMOs - buy the raw mats and assemble your item. Later on they can add QOL features like preset market orders so you can buy a bunch of different materials with just one click.

Items not requiring repair, doesn't necessarily mean items must have decay.

Perhaps there is no item decay, as well as no durability (so no repairs). And the way sink will work is by limited storage capacity players will have and will not be able to store millions of items.

Then players will need to dismantle items to percantage of base materials, because materials will stack and be usable to craft other things.

This percentage of returned base materials does not need to be high. It can be, for example, 20%. This will sink the materials.

Also perhaps re-enchanting an item will be so expensive that it will be more worth for a player to simply craft new, and enchant it from scratch.

Add loosing of gear, through PvP, people breaking stolen items, and you have efficient sink.

Item durability and decay arent the only ways to create that sink.

@Razvan said in How do you think the Economy will actually function?:

@Tuoni said in How do you think the Economy will actually function?:

This is my exact feeling.

At this point, we don't have enough information and it's very hard to predict how the economy will work.

A solution that would make the market usable would be to have dedicated refiners instead of dedicated crafters and only be able to sell mats on the market instead of full items. Instead of having item quality, you have material quality which would be affected by refiner's stats. Crafted items have the same quality as the materials they are made of. Damaged items can be refined into raw materials, which scales with durability. So basically it's the Ikea of MMOs - buy the raw mats and assemble your item. Later on they can add QOL features like preset market orders so you can buy a bunch of different materials with just one click.

I agree that this is one of the options to handle the "current" situation. Creating the trading around resources would work, however, that will be so much away from crafting and looting.

Ikea of MMOs... 😂

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured