Extra races on Syndesia

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Re: 💡 Suggestion | Extra Races?

Goblins and elves? I don't know about elves but I like the idea of playing on the Human world as the other 2 planet's ideas and how they're pretty much Good/Evil, I'd like to play evil like the demons but don't feel I could thrive in a PVP focused world. Goblins are already on Syndesia so it'd be neat to play as one on a safe middle world like the human one, about the elves I haven't seen any in game yet, but they could be the opposite of goblins like they are visually.

Savage and ugly goblins sharing a world with ordinary humans and elegant and magical elves, goblins could be blessed in Dexterity and Perception (evade/observation) and be naturally weak in intelligence and constitution, while the elves are talented in their Intelligence and Charisma (magic/mental) and weak in strength and constitution. Something like a little rock/paper/scissors advantage over each other. There could also be lesser debuffs while on the other planets. Goblins with lesser debuffs on the demon world while having a more potent disadvantage on the Beastman world, but not as much as a regular demon. Same with elves but with a reverse of the goblin's situation. This would also not hinder trading between races on Syndesia as since they have easier and harder times in the two other planets there would be incentive to sell/buy each other's goods.

It'd give the "three races" of Syndesia a pretty neat dynamic. A fun, a healthy trade relationship between the three while out in the pvp areas there would be an irrational/entertaining distaste for one other. I'd imagine a party of goblins stumbling upon a couple elves would not simply let them go, even with their weakness to magic. The elves' confidence in their magic would also deter them from running away from some measly goblins compared to running into a bunch of humans.

Some people would also love to play as the other races but are turned off by their planet systems. Humans still being in the middle can enjoy all three worlds as they like and are free to create their builds, some people also hate playing as other races and would simply still choose humans, fights against the goblins/elves would be like fighting a human running a rogue/mage build only with lower constitution. They also get balanced curses for being on each planet.

Choosing either Goblin/Elf would simply change starting area on Syndesia and sacrifice constitution and Intelligence/Strength for stronger Dexterity/Intelligence and Perception/Charisma (left goblin/right elf) as well as -lessen/+increase the potency of curses for being on the Demon and Beastmen planets.
    (Goblins: -demon, +beastmen) (Elves: -beastmen, +demon)
    Just not as much as the negative effects of a demon being on the beastmen world and the opposite for elves. (half maybe)

I mainly came up with this after playing Realms of Magic, it's like Terraria but you can choose from many races and they give fitting racial talents. I played goblin and fell in love with them aesthetic-wise. In role playing games I've never liked playing as a human but on Syndesia that's all there is besides being able to be a lich. Syndesia appears to be the most dynamic planet so even more variables would be crazy fun.

What do y'all think? I really liked the lich idea as playing a non human and just really wanna see more races in Syndesia. If nothing else just goblin and elves as options in the character creation as a purely cosmetic change, or even as mtx. Anyways, it would be another great layer of depth as I imagine the game with this system years after it releases, guilds of demons, beastmen, humans, elves, and goblins. The goblins gotta stay ugly tho, not a human sized handsome variant with just green skin, pointy ears and fangs like skyrim's orcs. Would make good microtransactions though, goblin/elf/dwarf maybe idk about the size aspects and armor. Just all the fantasy humanoids outside of being completely demon/beast.

worstcasescenario.png

• Each race has a unique bonus: human get extra SP and each of the other races gets affinity with an attribute - 6races, 6attributes. What racial bonus would elves get?

PS: I wouldn't mind if elves and orcs would be sold as a reskin for the human race.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Razvan

you'd obviously start doubling the races per attribute.

i want naga, and other 'bad/evil' races to play!

• @Jetah Yes, but since they will pretty much be reskins (and some of them, like the naga, would take some effort to implement), I think it's fair to be sold as skins.

Shouldn't all of that be discussed in about 2-4 years when the core game is finished, released, works successfully and a list of next features to implement is compiled and evaluated? The risk of feature creep in software development is real.

@Logain how dare you attempt to apply logic 🙂

I wish human was humanoid and there were other variants like elf and dwarf.

I would like most the dnd races

Dwarf elf halforc halfling

Would also like all races to have extra transformations like undead, vampire

Reading a book atm how people turn in to vampires is by summoning a demon and the demon soul mixes with the other person and they fight for control eventually the demon will take over permanently

The only way to get rid of the vamparisem is to find the demons true name and expell it using the power of the true name to force the demon out

@Razvan said in Extra races on Syndesia:

@Jetah Yes, but since they will pretty much be reskins (and some of them, like the naga, would take some effort to implement), I think it's fair to be sold as skins.

i hate reskins. too little effort. elves can be taller and their ears would be different. it'd be hard to reskin a human and pull it off as a new race. now if they wanted to offer a skin tone variety on humans then i'd have no problem (but they shouldn't be sold). i'd love to have a fantasy mmo without elves! can you imagine having an owl race but it's a reskin of the bear-kin. i doubt that'd go over well.

it's better to a new model than to try to make 'human work for every humanoid'.

@Jetah said: "now if they wanted to offer a skin tone variety on humans then i'd have no problem"

I wasn't gonna bring this up while the game is still so in process, but as long as someone else did... the available skin tones and hair textures for our alpha pcs are pretty darn limited.

I'm not fussed about that in the alpha, but then again, I'm a wytgrrrl so I didn't have any trouble making a pc who looks kinda like me. For the game to be all it should be, though, I'm hoping that the diversity issue will be addressed in time for the beta.

Before we start tweaking about nagas and elves, let's get us some Asians and Africans, ok? 🖖
    Love you, devs. ❤ ❤

ccf1d3c3-fcd8-427c-bca3-d1ffc812a361-image.png

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@PeachMcD said in Extra races on Syndesia:

I wasn't gonna bring this up while the game is still so in process, but as long as someone else did... the available skin tones and hair textures for our alpha pcs are pretty darn limited.

Looks like we just gotta wait until they start working on the enhanced character customization for the deeper stuff like eye size/textured hair/height/weight. (I'd like to make chubbier/scrawny weak looking characters instead of being locked to buff 6pack bros after doing so in every game ever)

62ed843a-6c1c-424f-9e2c-7f6df0ac9569-image.png
    I don't know what happened to make it to where all the skin colors right now are just 3 different shades of tan
    3788e7fa-eb56-4c65-891b-1e7079cc2094-image.png

Hopefully for Beta or this next test coming up they can at least match the colors and add a fully black hair (color). It'd do a lot for the customization, and I'm not really excited to just make different looking white people for another year or more until full release. A basic curly hair/afro for female/male would be great to match as well. As well as a bob for both

328b338b-57ed-4a90-a4b1-24a140ff1e2d-image.png edc985b5-72ee-4b56-bdb1-1840d9cafdfd-image.png
    I've got an afro if I grow it out, and I'm sure those with asian hair would be happy even with a bob in game, way better than being limited to three, even for an alpha/beta. But I'd say these two hairstyles should be the first new ones implemented out of any other hair style for when they do decide to add more customization.

06b35b0f-234d-469c-9a96-2f2bec28957c-image.png
    The Nordic housing pack shows there is a Nordic theme going on for the humans, can't see any reason to stick to Nordic themes any deeper than that customization-wise. Not trying to make it about race but you know just adding asian and black hair after matching skin colors to what's shown as options hahahaha.

3f87f303-5afa-4a2c-a90f-fe139a4d2f2e-image.png

• @Jetah
    The existing races cover all the playstyles, so unless they start with giving new racial bonuses (better alchemy or enchanting for elves, better mining for dwarves, better smithing for orcs etc) to the new races, they would be just reskins anyway. I wouldn't mind these being sold (not as a new race at character creation, but as a store consumable with racial restrictions) because they wouldn't affect gameplay whatsoever. And if you don't like skins, a bunch of games out there give players the option to completely turn them off (Fractured could have that). The "too little effort" part is debatable. For the case of orcs and elves, unless they look like very pale/green people, the devs have to waste some time tweaking and polishing the animations and textures.

@Logain Yes, but since someone already started the thread and there are no other interesting things going on right now... 😛

I would love ingame hairdressing and perhaps plastic surgeon profession.

Then people could visit those players ingame and change their hairstyle etc.

And since these are cosmetics, hairdressers could need to buy coupons from cash shop that gives them permit to do certain amount of hair jobs, and they could then ask for ingame fee from people for those haircuts.

And if people are worryed about P2W abuse, there could be a limit how many haircuta can hairdresser do per month.

Also profession would need to be skilled up, and new haircut models learned by traveling and exploration.

SWG had a hairdresser profession. If there was a specific haircut you wanted you had to find one of those hairdresser stations and someone who could use it. Funny stuff.

@Razvan

so a two armed naga would be a reskin of a human? the near snake like with human arms... is just a reskin of a human? or a quad arm naga would be a reskin of what.. the bear; no, the.. oh that's right, it wouldn't be a reskin AT ALL. there are the evil rat race, beholders, minataurs, ogres, etc that could be added to the evil side that wont be just a reskin of the human. they dont need any better bonuses that what exist already.

• @Jetah
    Since gameplay-wise they are exactly the same... yes.

PS: And I said racial restrictions should apply to easily identify their base racial bonuses and eventual hostility level. For example, big animal = bear, medium animal = wolf, small animal = deer, humanoid looking thing such as elf = human, big and mean evil looking thing = hellfire demon etc). I also said that it's not uncommon for games which allow reskins to give people the option to turn them off.

@Razvan said in Extra races on Syndesia:

@Jetah
    Since gameplay-wise they are exactly the same... yes.

PS: And I said racial restrictions should apply to easily identify their base racial bonuses and eventual hostility level. For example, big animal = bear, medium animal = wolf, small animal = deer, humanoid looking thing such as elf = human, big and mean evil looking thing = hellfire demon etc). I also said that it's not uncommon for games which allow reskins to give people the option to turn them off.

oh that's the silhouette. but that doesn't work here because karma can change for everyone. we'll have poisitive demons, either humans, and negative beastkin. so the silhouette wont matter.

if you're going there with the reskin then everything is just a reskin human.

• @Jetah said in Extra races on Syndesia:

oh that's the silhouette. but that doesn't work here because karma can change for everyone. we'll have poisitive demons, either humans, and negative beastkin. so the silhouette wont matter.

If they think in advance about this, they could pull it off Fable/Kotor-style. Good-aligned creatures other than the animals (pale/ light green, eventually with little wings), neutral creatures (human skin complexion range), evil creatures (dark red/blue, eventually with horns). So basically, a bear abomination would lose some fur, change its colour towards a dark-red tone and get horns. For example, a naga could keep the appearance of your initial character on the upper body and only change the tail's main colour: white or light blue for good, brown for neutral, black or dark red for evil.
    My point is that as long as they have a clear pattern of how good, evil and neutral creatures should look like, the above concern shouldn't exist.

if you're going there with the reskin then everything is just a reskin human.

The current races have gameplay impact. A human can be spec'ed to anything, but cannot go above 18 in an attribute. A deer can be the top nuker in the game (with nat 21INT, 20PER), but since it has 15STR and 16CON cap, it cannot compete as a tank with a bear (20STR, 21CON) or hellfire demon (21STR, 21CON). All the current races in the game have bonuses that cover a small number of classes (and there are already 6 races that cover all the possible 6 affinities).

@Razvan

there isn't a clear pattern on how karma looks. when you walk a street you dont know who's good or who's bad. it should be that same way in game, it wont but it should.

a demon could approach you, a human, and you'd have to guess if they'll attack or help. it shouldn't be a 'omg that's a demon they're all bad, kill them'. after all how would someone recognize a human between the 3 karma groups?

• @Jetah said in Extra races on Syndesia:

there isn't a clear pattern on how karma looks.

From my understanding, this isn't entirely true and with time they will probably make these difference even more noticeable for balance. Right now each planet is linked with an alignment-type, and each race has a starting alignment. If you lose enough karma, you'll change alignment and get banished from your planet. Now, humans and furries get a debuff on demon planet. The gameplay-issue with evil furries and humans who live on the demon planet with all benefits but didn't change their appearance to lich/abomination is that as a demon you cannot estimate their power. On the other end, demons have to do a quest and change their appearance if they want to become good. This is how I understand it.

a demon could approach you, a human, and you'd have to guess if they'll attack or help. it shouldn't be a 'omg that's a demon they're all bad, kill them'. after all how would someone recognize a human between the 3 karma groups?

Other than what I said before, there will probably be a flagging system (in other words, if you are hostile on a planet/to a player, your name is red, with the exception of demon world where everyone not allied with you is red).

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured