Choice of music for towns

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Hey, so i've been thinking for a bit on towns and how distinct can the rule of a mayor be. So after release, or even at the final states of the beta, it would be cool to have a system in which the mayor can choose the town music from a pool of songs, so let's say we have 100 cities in total and around 50 city themes going from the gloomiest to the happiest, it would be a nice and noticeable sign of the direction the city is taking karmawise. You can maybe limit the songs for towns in Tartaros and Arboreus so people in those planets the city feel isn't off, but for people outside town politics who live away it can be a sign that politics exist and happen and for the people living in that town it can be a sign that their actions have some real meaningless but noticeable impact.

Anyways with the numbers that i just wrote as placeholders we could have some 34^50 + 33^40*2 possible combinations of music in the world, changing constantly, and in my eyes that seems real cool.

Thanks for reading and tell me what you think, maybe that many songs is unachiveable, or maybe bards who pledge alliance to a city can go around playing their backround music as an anthem.

• Hope noone will take anything personally, but:

Would it be possible to make a folder in which I´d load my favourite music (Diablo II ofc) and ingame I´d just check "Play custom music" and it would play? I know I can just turn on youtube or play it from pc (just like when I played the third game of Diablo series - GRIM DAWN 😛 ), but my system specs areaverage at best, those 30 fps I have are border below which I don´t want to get because of pvp (weird thing is lowest and ultra settings give me same dps). No matter, just idea 🙂

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@asspirin said in Choice of music for towns:

Hopo noone will take anything personally, but:

Would it be possible to make a folder in which I´d load my favourite music (Diablo II ofc) and ingame I´d just check "Play custom music" and it would play? I know I can just turn on youtube or play it from pc (just like when I played the third game of Diablo series - GRIM DAWN 😛 ), but my system specs areaverage at best, those 30 fps I have are border below which I don´t want to get because of pvp (weird thing is lowest and ultra settings give me same dps). No matter, just idea 🙂

Maybe stuff still needs optimising and you will get better frames eventually

I love this idea! 👍 🎼 🎹
    I love it, regardless of the fact that I routinely disable music in games I play.
    I love it because it will make the game world richer & more immersive, and allow players' spaces to evolve according to player choices.

THANKS, @Cotrabotieso !! 🖖

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I'm so happy you guys like this idea, thanks ^^

and @asspirin that's a piece of QoL that would defeat it's same pourpose kinda, i love games that do that but you'd have to download the music and once you have it downloaded you can play in your computer with no real performance hit

• TF#10 - CONSUL

That's a nice idea. A kind of music according to the karma can be funny, but I don't think cities have karma. Maybe according to the general shape of the city, the location, things like that.

I'd say uploading your own music would be subject to copyright issues.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@Esher it's mainly for ambience, most likely the mayor will make a decision based on his own karma i.e a negative karma mayor will go for a more evil track and @Farlander i don't think so since only the person playing would listen to it, it's like a windows media player in game

@Cotrabotieso

i believe @asspirin wants the music to change based on context. so town could have a list of 10, combat a list of 10, with maybe a mix of something else for other activities. a playlist just plays in the order but games do change when combat starts/ends or if you're in town.

I'd like to have folders for specific activities or a name town1-musicname etc.

It's a nice idea, something for further down the line of development.

Guilds could have a choice of music for different scenarios. You already mentioned city music.

But there could also be a choice for victory music, so if another guild gets their city destroyed, the enemy (victorious) guild music should play in that city then for a while. 😄

-- What music would you serve your enemies? 😄

@Gothix said in Choice of music for towns:

Guilds could have a choice of music for different scenarios. You already mentioned city music.

But there could also be a choice for victory music, so if another guild gets their city destroyed, the enemy (victorious) guild music should play in that city then for a while. 😄

-- What music would you serve your enemies? 😄

I hope the music will start as we turn up

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Farlander Uploading music would be subject to copyright. Having a folder on your own device with the music would only be usable by you and not broadcast to other players would not be. Having different choices for in town, countryside and dungeons would let the player customize their own immersion. However I think this would best be done by a stand alone app and not built into the game.

@Billa2720 said in Choice of music for towns:

@Farlander Uploading music would be subject to copyright. Having a folder on your own device with the music would only be usable by you and not broadcast to other players would not be. Having different choices for in town, countryside and dungeons would let the player customize their own immersion. However I think this would best be done by a stand alone app and not built into the game.

what about links to soundcloud or youtube or other places?

• @Billa2720 I don't know about unity, but usually what you said is easy to implement. When the resources are loaded, you check the custom music folder and if the file exist, you load that. Otherwise, you load the default music file.

@Jetah Again, I don't know much about unity, but usually altering a string and checking if a file exists is trivial. Loading a file from youtube seems like a much more difficult task.

@Razvan said in Choice of music for towns:

@Billa2720 I don't know about unity, but usually what you said is easy to implement. When the resources are loaded, you check the custom music folder and if the file exist, you load that. Otherwise, you load the default music file.

@Jetah Again, I don't know much about unity, but usually altering a string and checking if a file exists is trivial. Loading a file from youtube seems like a much more difficult task.

I dont program so I can't say if it can play via an internal browser or if it can load it within the client.

I just want lelelelele when I'm fighting monsters

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

This reminds me of when you could have a song play when people opened your EverQuest Magelo profile. At one point, I was the top Gnome serverwide (I was a Gnome Warrior in Assent when we were on top) and my Magelo used to play the Underpants Gnomes song from South Park. I figured it was appropriate.

• Won't you take me too.. Funky Town?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured