B2P vs F2P

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

why do the dev took the b2p option and make the game low population when they can make the same amount of money or more by going f2p and make the game feel more alive ,i played the free alpha and i saw only 1 person all game ..

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@RoyalX said in B2P vs F2P:

why do the dev took the b2p option and make the game low population when they can make the same amount of money or more by going f2p and make the game feel more alive ,i played the free alpha and i saw only 1 person all game ..

b2p is less likely to have bots, (because banned accounts have to be re-bought)
    b2p is less likely 2 have toxic players, (because banned accounts have to be re-bought)
    f2p needs to have a f2p cash shop meaning they will need way more cosmetics, and possibly even the dreaded p2w, to support the game
    even f2p games tend to be b2p during development

I personally would rather have a low population of good honest players, then a huge population of self entitled f2players that want everything for free, and whine when someone who spending money and supporting the game is stronger then them.

f2p breeds toxicity and i personally hope DS can sustain a B2P model permanently

There were a ton of players during the open test, did you not see the chat? Not enough houses, no branches on the trees, all the spawns already killed, people fighting. I don't know where on the map you ended up being, but the game was busy.

As for f2p, that's too damn expensive for me. f2p easily heads into 5 figure territory for a lot of gamers.

Gonna validate your question, @RoyalX, and let you know you're not the first person to ask it.

There are lots of good reasons why the devs want to try something different, and if you do a quick forum search with the string "F2P" you'll learn many of them. I won't repeat them here - @Xzoviac has laid a few out nicely already.

Honestly, there are SO MANY 'freemium' games to play, I always wonder why people who prefer them don't just keep looking instead of trying to mold this game to their preference when it's clear from the front page why the devs are doing things the way they are.

Hoping you'll stick around and maybe even buy the new game to see whether the difference ends up working better for you. I personally have played LOTS of 'freemium' games, and I'm really excited to get a different experience in Fractured.

🖖 ☮

• Wiki Editor

@Xzoviac said in B2P vs F2P:

... and i personally hope DS can sustain a B2P model permanently

This! ☝

there's no proof that buying a box means less bots. it's more about the popularity and those willing to spend the cash on easily accessible farmable goods than a box that has to be bought.

wow has bots, it has a sub and a box/expansion cost.

b2p is less likely 2 have toxic players, (because banned accounts have to be re-bought)
    that doesn't deter people either. although it's much easier for a person to create a free account to be as toxic as they want without the main account taking action.

f2p needs to have a f2p cash shop meaning they will need way more cosmetics, and possibly even the dreaded p2w, to support the game
    every online game has a cash shop. that's just how they're designed.

I personally would rather have a low population of good honest players, then a huge population of self entitled f2players that want everything for free, and whine when someone who spending money and supporting the game is stronger then them.

f2p breeds toxicity and i personally hope DS can sustain a B2P model permanently

no game in the last 5 years has opened as a subscription and maintained it. FF:ARR was the last but it's been over 5 years. I know this doesn't actually rebut your statement but just want to point out that most online games have swapped to a b2p+sub or went f2p.

@Jetah said in B2P vs F2P:

there's no proof that buying a box means less bots. it's more about the popularity and those willing to spend the cash on easily accessible farmable goods than a box that has to be bought.

wow has bots, it has a sub and a box/expansion cost.

Key words are less likely

that doesn't deter people either. although it's much easier for a person to create a free account to be as toxic as they want without the main account taking action.

Having to rebuy a game because your being ashole may not deter the asholes, but it certainly feels good to the player that's forcing them to spend real life cash to continue being one.

every online game has a cash shop. that's just how they're designed.

Diablo 2 is a online game it has no cash shop, Its pretty easy to make blanket statements, it dont make you right,
    what my point means, generally speaking b2p cash shops are better then f2p ones, not all the time ofc but fractured for one is a b2p model I like

no game in the last 5 years has opened as a subscription and maintained it. FF:ARR was the last but it's been over 5 years. I know this doesn't actually rebut your statement but just want to point out that most online games have swapped to a b2p+sub or went f2p.

Non of your points have rebuted anything tbh
    But yeah your probably right in 5 years no mmo has opened and kept the b2p, probably because mmos just havent been launching recently the last big mmo to launch was a long time ago I cant even think of a big mmo from the last 5 years lol

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Honestly, even if B2P doesn't work out. I think it is better to start out small and work towards being able to support thousands upon thousands of players.

b2p+sub is the best model imo (looking at you ff and wow) they are mostly the best maintenanced games. The problem why we don't see more of this but more f2p with p2w mechanics is that the mmo market lack immensly on actual GOOD games the last years, so they have to go on the money milking train.

@Xzoviac
    D2 isn't maintained. no new dlc, new content has been made either.

@Xzoviac

D3 then.... plenty of online games with out cash shops -_-

Vendetta Online - the PC version has a sub and no cash shop.

Istaria - no cash shop

Neocron - totally free game, no cash shop

Istaria. - just sells mugs and things.

ESO cash shop but Only cosmetics though like fractured

sometimes i think you just argue for the sake of it @Jetah

@Xzoviac

Istaria - no cash shop

and d3 isn't maintained either. the last content patch was with Kanai's cube. the seasons are trash. the game is under maintenance.

@Xzoviac

Istaria - no cash shop

and d3 isn't maintained either. the last content patch was with Kanai's cube. the seasons are trash. the game is under maintenance.

Trash games - dont count fingers in ears lalalal not listening

You didnt say online games with updates you said online games just move on mate this conversation is pointless I wrote you a list of a few dif games... your points have been refuted just accept it

• I prefer b2p + monthly sub unless the game is dying and going f2p is the only option to keep it alive. I don't play f2p games because often you end up spending more money if you want to be competitive.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I agree with @Razvan on this one but unfortunately I get do get sucked into F2P games and hate it. We just need more MMORPGs out and hopefully this will be a good one. I love P2P and Sub games. I guess I'm old school...

A good aspect of F2P is 0 barrier to entry but once you're in prepare to be bombarded with requests for money. And either progress slowly or open your wallet and pay the often stupid prices. Their whole gameplay is built around paying them or suffer the restrictions. Why would you want that if you have the choice to pay a relatively small upfront cost?

@Xzoviac

i dont play those games, except d3. so i wont discuss them. i have no first hand experience so trying to argue them is bad.

wait. i played Istaria when it was called Horizons. i just looked at the wiki and i dont see any new content being produced. last i knew it was a small companies hobby so they had no reason to release content regularly. last i logged on, like 2 years ago, nothing had changed from the time i did back in early 00's.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured