Pet system can be based on UO or Daoc?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Maybe train them to fight with armor or become mounts. Mix of cosmetics and a small defense adjustment

@Farlander said in Pet system can be based on UO or Daoc?:

Maybe train them to fight with armor or become mounts. Mix of cosmetics and a small defense adjustment

I'd be OK with mounts fighting too. give some risk and reward for them.

Perhaps cosmetic pets and battle pet, if out at same time, could have some interaction as well.

Play together while running around the player. Or perhaps even visual... maybe a special cosmetic pet that would change color based on what battle pet is following player at the moment. Plenty of possibilities here. 🙂

@Gothix said in Pet system can be based on UO or Daoc?:

Perhaps cosmetic pets and battle pet, if out at same time, could have some interaction as well.

Play together while running around the player. Or perhaps even visual... maybe a special cosmetic pet that would change color based on what battle pet is following player at the moment. Plenty of possibilities here. 🙂

Battle penguin, and penguin pet stack on top of each other to make a penguin tower

@Xzoviac said in Pet system can be based on UO or Daoc?:

Battle penguin, and penguin pet stack on top of each other to make a penguin tower

Evil Penguins building an army to take over the world

alt text

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Farlander What if tameable pets had their own knowledge tree? However, the knowledge tree would be limited in scope as compared to your toon's. The knowledge learned would also have to make sense, for example a wolf wouldn't be able to learn fireball, but would be able to learn, idk Battle Shout.
    @Jetah I agree 100% with normalized stats, it just makes balancing a whole lot easier. Cosmetic features for pets could maybe be purchasable skins.
    Personally, I would purchase cosmetic skins for combat pets if I were to play a hunter, bard, or ranger esque toon.

The problem is having pets you now have 2 fighting components wound into 1 player. Everything in combat is now being done twice as fast. If you can set your pet to interrupting your opponent you can concentrate on killing that opponent. I've just never seen a combat system where pets, tamed creatures, summons etc.. were not OP. If it weren't autonomous and you had to control it's every action then that might work. But if you can out it on autopilot with a command while you do other stuff then it's like a dancing sword in DnD. It's just extra damage.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Farlander Pets in WoW aren't OP you can easily CC them and then try to burst down the enemy. I think having to control(decide when to use pet abilities) is fair. Although if a player were to use auto cast on pet abilities I believe it would put them at a disadvantage. They would be wasting the pets resources by not using abilities efficiently, putting them at a disadvantage in competitive pvp, where resource management should be vital.
    This is something you may not agree with too. I think combat pets should have their own action bar, although a much smaller one than the player, and go. 😜

I just know in UO pets were OP. Almost all pvm players would use them to farm gold. Usually the game puts some huge creature in with tons of hps and armor and they essentially become an unstoppable tank. I don't mind pets they just need to be balanced.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Xzait

Sounds about right. If there is horizontal progression for us players, later down the line there could be horizontal progression for tamed beasts

I want 1 pet class (i guess it could be an ability in Fractured) that can control the pet after the 'player' is dead. Blade and Soul had that and it was amazing!

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I second the OP motion for ultima online-like pet system. I was not a tamer when I played UO but I had many in my guild. They were strong damage dealers and a lot of people thought they were OP, however high caliber pvp mage groups could easily down several tamers. But yea the general way pets worked in UO was perfect. With the right pvp/pve balance that would be a great way to incorporate pets.

Pro tip!
    DO NOT MAKE DIFFERENT MOVEMENT SPEEDS FOR MOUNTS.

Albion did this and it was way to OP. Gank squads just all get the fastest mounts and you can never get away.

• @WhiteLotus Yep great times. Daoc too had an intersting system to link with the pets and use them as yours. Obviusly the bigger the pet the more you have to spend in that direction and not in magic\phisical combact so that alredy counterbalance a bit. Here that you can shot with a bow from distance i think that a balance can be offered alredy with the "action" part of the combat alredy.

@WhiteLotus said in Pet system can be based on UO or Daoc?:

I second the OP motion for ultima online-like pet system. I was not a tamer when I played UO but I had many in my guild. They were strong damage dealers and a lot of people thought they were OP, however high caliber pvp mage groups could easily down several tamers. But yea the general way pets worked in UO was perfect. With the right pvp/pve balance that would be a great way to incorporate pets.

Pro tip!
    DO NOT MAKE DIFFERENT MOVEMENT SPEEDS FOR MOUNTS.

Albion did this and it was way to OP. Gank squads just all get the fastest mounts and you can never get away.

but lions or cheetas should be faster than horses. or whatever equivalent animal exist in the game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'd like to see a system that allows for more diversity in what a tamer brings to a fight. In UO you had a dragon of some sort (Ice Wyvern was the pet to have last time I played way back in 2003) and a Nightmare mount. You didn't see anyone running around with much else - there was a period with scorpions and poison, that if I remember right, got nerfed pretty quickly.

Maybe a 25 slot system? High end creatures take a lot of slots. Wyverns 15, Drakes 20, Dragons 25 and so on.
    Rats take 1, giant rats 2, wolves 3...

This way you could have a tamer with 25 rats that would be vulnerable to an AOE - assuming the target could get it off with 25 things hitting it. Or a pack of wolves, or a couple of dire bears. Etc. Horse traders could come back to town with 10 horses at a time.

Just a thought.

@Corben That system seemed to work pretty good. I just hope they control the scaling of stats. You could train their stats so high they were better than the person handling them. Stats need to be regulated on tamed creatures so when you look at the controller and the tamed they have a cap together. They are functioning as one unit when in combat.

To me a mount should only get you where you need to go faster. I don't think the stats should total into the character as bonuses. Then you have balancing issues again. Remember a game isn't real life. A game needs balance because its intent is for all players to have fun all the time. I think most of us will agree real life has many moments when it is not fun and you can't just quit unless you permanently log out. In SWTOR your mount was just a skin. I like that aspect personally.

To me a mount should only get you where you need to go faster. I don't think the stats should total into the character as bonuses. Then you have balancing issues again. Remember a game isn't real life. A game needs balance because its intent is for all players to have fun all the time. I think most of us will agree real life has many moments when it is not fun and you can't just quit unless you permanently log out. In SWTOR your mount was just a skin. I like that aspect personally.

yet to me mounts should have a purpose.

@Jetah said in Pet system can be based on UO or Daoc?:

yet to me mounts should have a purpose.

Besides getting you faster from A-B and maybe some extra bag space, what purpose are you thinking off?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@PeachMcD said in Pet system can be based on UO or Daoc?:

We can get COMBAT PETS?? That's awesomesauce. I want one of those elementals for sure.

Yeah, you will have companions and pets, the second ones can support you in combats!

I hope they are not trainable because that is when balancing starts to become a problem

In the future we will give you the possibility to teach them Special Abilities and Spells, but I'm speaking about post-release updates.

I guess it will be balanced if everyone has one then lol.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured