Fractured - a living world?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Are the npcs, in fractured going to move around, hunt eat kill monsters near there citys, maybe join the local king/tyrants military.

Even if we are not getting many quests, it would be nice to get a feel/connection for npcs.

Be like oh shop keeper Eric had just died, and his shop has shut down, or his daughter has taken over, and said npc is sad about the loss of her father...

I like npcs and I feel like they make a world feel alive, I hope fractured npcs are not just shop drones with no feel movment or memorability

Not just town npcs either, maybe goblins for example speak goblin (and you can learn the language?)

Hear a plan to raid a town, over a period of say 2-3game days the goblins from nearby tribes will come together and prepare to attack said village, players could sell this infomation to the local lord (player who owns the town), or set up traps and try protect the civilians, or even wait till the goblin ambush is over and loot the corpses and ransacked village..

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

@Xzoviac said in Fractured - a living world?:

Are the npcs, in fractured going to move around, hunt eat kill monsters near there citys, maybe join the local king/tyrants military.

Even if we are not getting many quests, it would be nice to get a feel/connection for npcs.

Be like oh shop keeper Eric had just died, and his shop has shut down, or his daughter has taken over, and said npc is sad about the loss of her father...

I like npcs and I feel like they make a world feel alive, I hope fractured npcs are not just shop drones with no feel movment or memorability

Not just town npcs either, maybe goblins for example speak goblin (and you can learn the language?)

Hear a plan to raid a town, over a period of say 2-3game days the goblins from nearby tribes will come together and prepare to attack said village, players could sell this infomation to the local lord (player who owns the town), or set up traps and try protect the civilians, or even wait till the goblin ambush is over and loot the corpses and ransacked village..

so long, as a demon, i can join the goblins in the raid!

@Jetah said in Fractured - a living world?:

so long, as a demon, i can join the goblins in the raid!

Well you could attack at same time, but goblins wont be allies/ unless ofc dynamic wanted a monster alliance system lol

• TF#5 - LEGATE

This would be massive feature creep. Games that have fully reactive NPCs such as the type you're suggesting are generally single player games like Skyrim, and even then it's a very shallow system usually because there are just too many possibilities to model. In terms of cost of production vs game sales, it would be one of the least efficient ways to make the game popular.

After all, if we make all the NPCs shared, then soon enough players will have killed every single NPC in the game anyway, and if they are instanced, then the game has to somehow store those data states for each individual player, leading to either very shallow interactions (see Elder Scrolls Online's quests where you can choose to kill an NPC, only to have them surface later in an expansion with a neat lore rewrite to explain their existence), or being way too complicated and sinking the game before it even releases.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

As Basileus said, it would be a really huge thing to implement. It would be cool, but there would way too much things to take in account. Your example with the shopkeeper, the game would have to know that the man had died, and then change most of the behavior and the dialogues of the daughter. All of this things have to be already coded, or you have a damn huge AI that can adapt the NPC's behavior to what's happening, not only because there's a monster in the surroundings.
    It would be cool to see that, but I don't think it would be possible.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

That's a nice idea! Interacting with living NPCs would be great but, right now, that's not in our priorities. I can say that we want to create important and fundamental NPCs to interact with, especially in the cities, but we will see, It's a topic that we will implement later! 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Znirf Awesome. I love a few little touches like this when possible, but I definitely agree that you guys have to make the game complete to current needs first. 🙂

Just as long as you can't kill important npcs that generate quests, sell items etc... Otherwise you will have players going around and killing them for the fun of disrupting the community. Read here about something in WoW that happened lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

@Farlander said in Fractured - a living world?:

Just as long as you can't kill important npcs that generate quests, sell items etc... Otherwise you will have players going around and killing them for the fun of disrupting the community. Read here about something in WoW that happened lol

I want this to happen in fractured... like a zombie arc cursed gods arc or lich player created virus

@Farlander said in Fractured - a living world?:

iirc only quest we can get is the angel/demon/litch quest. those specific npc's could be hidden to everyone else.

that i'm aware, only players can sell stuff. we haven't heard officially, or at least i dont remember, if players can put a npc seller at our house or in a city.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Xzoviac I don't see why all NPC's shouldn't be able to die. When examining how towns and cities will be managed, I would like to see an implementation of some sort mechanic that would show how attractive your city is to NPC's and NPC merchants. If its attractive( determined by variables such as taxes, how safe the city is, etc.) more NPC's will show up and want to open up shop. Or a governor could purchase merchants to open up shops with the tax money he/she has collected. It creates a whole new feature for governors to manage. If the city is run right NPC's should be a dime a dozen meaning their deaths wouldn't be as impactful.

I don't think there should be much fear that players will just kill NPC's due to Karma and the justice system(Except on Tartaros). Also I imagine being labeled a murderer and thief won't be fun either.

@Crowdac

why can't the merchants fight back?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Jetah I'm not against that 😁 . I would assume some may run away and others might stand and fight.

I hope there is good use of an npc system. Npcs add to the appearance of a population. I always hated coming into a town in a game and being the only person in it. I also would like to see npc mobs spawn that you can kill...maybe npc villages out in the wild. That was a mistake I thought LIF made. They said they wouldn't use npcs. All characters in the game would be players. The world seemed so abandoned when you would walk around. You would find these huge settlements and no one would be there because the entire group who made it was offline.

I remember playing my first RPG - Ultima VIII Pagan - very long time ago... during different times of day, NPCs walked away and moved to different locations, from home to work, and other. I remember it was very nice to have to pay attention to what time of day it is, to be able to perform some tasks. Shops were closed during nights, so you had to go to special shady vendors if you wanted something during that time.

A lot could be done implementing this into the game. Make game feel more alive.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Gothix said in Fractured - a living world?:

I remember playing my first RPG - Ultima VIII Pagan - very long time ago... during different times of day, NPCs walked away and moved to different locations, from home to work, and other. I remember it was very nice to have to pay attention to what time of day it is, to be able to perform some tasks. Shops were closed during nights, so you had to go to special shady vendors if you wanted something during that time.

A lot could be done implementing this into the game. Make game feel more alive.

This, and when the original Gothic came out and NPCs freaked out about you entering the wrong places for the first time with all of the rest of things added in... both games did so much more in times when so much less was expected (and often more than modern games that are supposedly so much more advanced).

In the early days of UO there were npc beggars. When you go too close they basically latched onto you and followed you around asking for money. They wouldn't leave until you dropped at least 1 gp on them lol. You had to watch out for npc thieves because they hung out around the bank. If they came next to you they would steal a random item from your main bag. I remember a few times my house rune was stolen until I realized I needed to embed important stuff in more bags and keep junk in the main bag lol. You could go around yelling destination and npcs wanting a lift to another town would come up to you. Gaters would be walking around town with tons of them just gating from one city to the next making gold. You could hire guards to accompany with you to dungeons. Npcs were so vibrant that you almost didn't need other players lol. This system worked until other players were taking the npcs out of town to murder them for their loot.

@Farlander this is what i hope fractured will be like one day

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured