Optional wasd movement?

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I see there were a few old questions asking if this game would be click to move or WASD movement. Problem is many of the ones I noticed when searching appeared to be quite out of date.

So I figured I'd try my luck. Is there any hopes of the game supporting WASD movement in addition to click to move? I've played many games out there and I have to say that in my case WASD flows much better. Feels far less awkward to control. Legends of Aria for example allows me to use WASD. Movement feels fluid and just plain nice. Meanwhile games like Path of Exile enforce click to move. Which to me leads to an awkward tough to utilize method of getting from point A to B.

In Path of Exile I find myself fighting with the games movement system more then I do anything else. While the game is downright amazing and gets stellar reviews on a regular basis it still feels wrong in that one regard. When I'm battling a monster in a game I don't want to also be fighting with the title to complete an action.

Who knows. Maybe my limited experience in click to move titles is to blame here. I've played my fair share, but at the same time I know there is an ocean of games I haven't touched with that type of system. Which for all I know could do be doing it just as well as you guys will. Hell, maybe you've all got a trick up your sleeve to make it feel even more fluid. Suppose I don't really know! All I do know is I like having more options.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Nop. Till this moment the dev team always said the it's mouse movement like Diablo and PoE. And it's for the best, Fractured is a isometric game where the camera won´t rotate, using wasd it's awkward and won´t make sense ^^

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

There are plenty of isometric games that use WASD. Saying it's "awkward and won't make sense" doesn't really explain their reasoning for it at all unfortunately. Leaves a lot on the table.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@frost OH! Isometric? Rats, wish they'd "lead with that." Really puts a cooler on my interest. And the art suggests it will be an actual immersive MMORPG where you can see the characters as a character, not play with little virtual animated dolls. 8(

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@frost I have to agree with Genobee. Saying that makes no sense at all as you can actually have much better control with WASD or Controller Support when it comes to speed/aiming then you can trying to juggle movement and actions with mouse only controls. In fact his reasoning with POE is sound since you HAVE to give up a skill slot for movement in that game else risk basic attacking any enemies you want to move around.

@Genobee is looking for a real reason which can honestly range from balance reasons (because it can make a difference just like 3rd vs 1st person mode) or could even be a coding reason as it is just easier to stick with one style.

No idea what their reasoning, hopefully a developer responds.

Personally prefer WASD myself, but the game matters more then the controls to me.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Prometheus talked a lot about why they went with mouse movement instead of WSAD in this thread: https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/41/why-will-the-control-be-based-on-a-mouse

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@vengu Oh thank you, was about to question it.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

There is never enough talk why all the hate for OPTIONAL wasd. I understand all that want mouse movement to keep it - but there was never talk to remove it. Just to add option for others to play the way they want.

At least let us test it at some point in alpha/closed beta.

• I've spent an embarrassing amount of time playing various arpg's and mobas so I'm completely comfortable with click to move, but I gotta say that WASD is just plain better when it comes to having to both move/position while constantly aiming skillshots.

and it wouldn't be nearly as fast paced if it was click to move.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Mouseclick is fine. Was the same in Albion Online and it works fine in mmorpg's.

Spiral Knights uses wasd to move and it's great. I can keep the mouse over what I want while moving my character out of harms way or to align an attack.

I forgot to mention, it has PvP!

Here's a video showing wasd movement in an isometric game

@jetah I kinda dislike that kinda of gameplay. The movements feels totally messed up. I mean you walk backwards exacly at the same speed as you walk forwards. That make the movements a lot unrealistic and not looking up. That's just my opinion ofc. I know a lot of people do like it that way.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'm just gonna leave this here
    alt text

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@genobee Find the closest HEMA or Bow Shooting club and drop by for a day! See if you can swing with good edge alignment/shoot accurately while running backwards and slightly to your right. Then tell us whether you still think maneuvering around the battlefield should be easy to do.

@frost said in Optional wasd movement?:

@jetah I kinda dislike that kinda of gameplay. The movements feels totally messed up. I mean you walk backwards exacly at the same speed as you walk forwards. That make the movements a lot unrealistic and not looking up. That's just my opinion ofc. I know a lot of people do like it that way.

it's a game not a real life simulator. If we're going with realism then we can't play a race other than Human. Best part of it being a game is the back peddle speed can be changed or not. i dont like click to move. i hate it in diablo 3 and even in PoE. one main reason is i click on something and my character pathfinds to it. if it's an object that can be attacked then i run directly on top of it then attack. I like wasd movement in isometric games but so few have it.

wasd movement would mimic more of a console style movement than PC. If a controller support was enabled for Fracture then they'd have to offer something similar to wasd movement.

I'll ask, have you tried Spiral Knights out? It's one thing to look at it but another to play it. IIRC, SK has both options if you aren't use to wasd.

I'll venture a good guess that a wasd movement player would win vs a click to move with skill being equal.

@darian said in Optional wasd movement?:

@genobee Find the closest HEMA or Bow Shooting club and drop by for a day! See if you can swing with good edge alignment/shoot accurately while running backwards and slightly to your right. Then tell us whether you still think maneuvering around the battlefield should be easy to do.

why don't we see what a skilled Archer can do instead of someone who probably hasn't ever used a bow. The heroes in games aren't the overweight and out of shape office workers suddenly needing to save the world type but are the trained to be a lethal killer type.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@darian said in Optional wasd movement?:

So are you saying if you first start running backwards and then shooting it's much easier then doing it all at once? Because otherwise I don't see how that argument is relevant to the discussion if WASD should be added as an option to the mouse movement.

@Frost that's more of an argument PRO WASD then against it. With WASD you can always face forward to the mouse - so to the direction of the attack and walk backwards with any speed backward walking is implemented. With mouse movement your character either face the mouse (so he spins around like crazy when you move between movement target and skill target) or he just always face forward to the movement target and just fires his skills backwards. As there is no target lock your char doesn't know what your target is 😉

@tulukaruk It's no pro at all. I want a game with good animations. But with that system the animation feels very akward. I personally don´t like it. Not to mention it requries a lot more skill to use a mouse than wasd. If the dev can manage to get good animations with this system, I'd love to have it, but otherwise it's better not to. That's just my opinion anyway.

@frost said in Optional wasd movement?:

@tulukaruk It's no pro at all. I want a game with good animations. But with that system the animation feels very akward. I personally don´t like it. Not to mention it requries a lot more skill to use a mouse than wasd. If the dev can manage to get good animations with this system, I'd love to have it, but otherwise it's better not to. That's just my opinion anyway.

I’m not understanding how it takes more skill with just the mouse.

The animations of a character doing a 180 in a nano second looks funny to me.

@jetah With wasd it's way easier to dodge and way easier to aim. You are even able to just keep walking arround randomly in circles while aiming, there's no skill in that at all. With just the mouse you need to try to predict to dodge and to aim. It's way different. I simply don´t like the gameplay of a isometric game with wasd. Animations feel totally weird and if you want to play a game like that just play an action mmorpg. Also as I said before, I'm not condemning that way of movement, certainly many people like it that way, I'm just stating my opinion according to my own reason and likes ^^

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured