User Generated Content for Tabards/Flags/etc

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

One of my favorite parts of Atlas is the ability to have custom flags/ships. Nothing was more intimidating than seeing a fleet of ships with custom paint jobs, and flags. Though, it came with the drawback of giving anyone the ability to do this which is people doing crazy/dumb things with it.

I feel tabards, flags, carpets, etc would fit nicely in this world(s) and could be a way for FracturedMMO to make money. If I can pay a few dollars and have my guilds logo on my character via a tabard you know I will do it. If I can pay a few dollars and have my guild represented in our cities I will do it as well. If I could pay a few dollars to have something unique to me in my house 100% will do it. Multiple times.

It's the same as selling cosmetics in the cash shop but slightly better because it takes no work, time, or money from the devs.

I feel it would have to be behind a paywall to prevent people from abusing it, and/or maybe behind a level requirement. Though, I can't imagine many people will be willing to throw down money for something explicit just for it to be taken away lol. But still good to have safe guards against abuse.

Thoughts?

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I like the idea, I would love to have the logo on our armor

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Eve Online has that for Corporations and Alliances. they offer the service, for a fee, and release them in batches with updates.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah said in User Generated Content for Tabards/Flags/etc:

Eve Online has that for Corporations and Alliances. they offer the service, for a fee, and release them in batches with updates.

I am sorry I am not sure I follow. How do you release user generated content in batches with updates? Or is it one of those things where you submit it, and they have to check it and clear it and then when the next update comes they patch it in with the update?

That sounds like a lot more work, and having to wait but that works too. And having to clear it first sounds dangerous (for the Devs) since then they might be liable for copyright issues and what not with that method.

@Whisper

EO doesn't do user content. you make the image, you submit, they approve and run it through some of their effects, then it's added into the game in the future.

it's safer than having nsfw content in the game.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah said in User Generated Content for Tabards/Flags/etc:

@Whisper

EO doesn't do user content. you make the image, you submit, they approve and run it through some of their effects, then it's added into the game in the future.

it's safer than having nsfw content in the game.

That's a fair point. But yeah. Having your own custom emblems/tabards sounds nice.

I wouldn't mind whatever process they used. I would count any system that allows it a win. Though I would prefer the Eve route than the Atlas one. Like I pointed out the draw back to Atlas was the nsfw stuff they would throw up. How much did Eve charge?

@Whisper
    i can't find the cost for it. but i did see where it's just Alliances and not corps/guilds.

Wurm Online allows custom graphics for player-made PvP kingdoms, and the resulting cool-looking wagons/flags/etc. are actually hot items for PvE players who like to decorate. 🙂

One issue that's arisen, however, is copyright/license: at least one PMK had to change graphics because (as I recall) the original artist threatened to sue, which meant all the PvEers who had bought that PMK's gear to get a specific color scheme had everything changed under them (which was a mess).

Albion allows customization of guild crests, but within the game, so no copyright issues.

I notice, however, that the Aristocrat pledge pack allows creation of a custom guild crest, so I suspect that won't be made generally available.

I like when a guild can display its colors. Tabards/Flags would be cool.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I also, like your suggestion of player designed flags, tabards, etc. Armor is also cool, especially if you are doing a guild activity where there are a lot of you participating. I would also throw down some cash to have this ability.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

This is making me wonder about customisability of cosmetics - has there been any indication that you can change armour colours, for example?

• Community Manager

@Syllah Yes, you can dye armor. 😉

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Throw some conditions on it, like a level, and maybe a fee... AND... have someone at the company moderating the content, and I say fantastic. It really does come down to moderation because, yes, people DO create stupid things, thinking they're clever, and if we can just remove that sort of nonsense it would be a really good thing.

@Canterbury maple story 2 let's u customize everything and that works well uploading ur own images and making your own weapon skins and armour skins you can sell to other players

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Xzoviac said in User Generated Content for Tabards/Flags/etc:

@Canterbury maple story 2 let's u customize everything and that works well uploading ur own images and making your own weapon skins and armour skins you can sell to other players

It may do... but why take the risk? Add a level of moderation, stop idiots in their tracks, and everyone's happy.

I mean, thinkgs like guild tabards don't change all that often, if ever, so if people have to wait a day or two for approval... big deal... they're going to be using the thing, unchanged, for months or years to come, so where's the harm in moderating it first up?

I hated UO when they added customized housing. The landscape became something out of a freak show. I like it better if the housing is regional.

@Canterbury I think maple story is moderated, I was agreeing with you lol

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Specter Ooooh, do you have more details on dying armour? Is there a palette system like in ESO, or GW2? How much flexibility do we have? Is the colour set when crafting the item, or can colours be changed anytime?

I'm a fan of Albion's way of doing it. Keeps everything non-copyright and non-nsfw, and only requires moderator-ok for the few people who bought aristocrat packages.

• Community Manager

@Syllah The devs haven't said much about the dyes yet. They can be obtained ingame and through the cash shop.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured