suggestion on attracting huge mass of new players to buy FracturedMMO

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

hi dev,

i saw a thread today on funding and saw that some players mentioned that the total funds raised is only about $160,000 and they are worried about the sustainability of the game.

i have some suggestions which might attract huge mass of new players to buy FracturedMMO and also possibly VIP subscriptions.

i don't know where to post this, so i post this on General Discussions.

let's say when the game go live on 2021. then all players who buy the game will log in and play normally.

but for players who never buy the game, let them log in but they can only start their character on a totally separate planet, eg let's call this planet Limbo. (this is only an example)

On this planet Limbo, these players is free to explore and build whatever they want, craft whatever they want, or learn whatever skills, talents, abilities they want.

But the only caveat is that this planet Limbo resets every 24 hours and after reset, all progress drops to zero, and if the player want to continue playing, they need to start all over from zero.

you see, we don't know what actually attracts a player to buy the game. it could be crafting, it could be building, it could be pvp, pve, or exploring, or adventuring, or roleplaying.

you see, let's say a player is attracted to building, and let's say he spend 4 hours to build a house and whatever he build is destroyed after 24 hours. this will scratch his itch and cause him to think of buying the game because after the house is destroyed, he will spend all his time thinking about his house.

because he's thinking about his house and all the possibilities that he can do with it, he will have do choice but to buy the game if he want to continue playing in order to keep his progression.

i think this is the best form of advertisement because this let potential customer try out the game. this sucks them in, keeps them interested, makes them addicted, raises the buying temperature, and then eventually they will have no choice but to end up buying the game to play.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

If I were on that stupid planet and find my stuff wiped after 24hrs I would just say this game sucks and never open it again. Even assuming they're downloading a separate game for a "crappy" planet (how are they going to experience different things when people who want to PVP will just screw the guys trying to build houses? No PVP? Then the PVPers won't experience anything).

No offense but I absolutely hate demo versions, I never ever buy the actual game if they sink low enough to make a demo version.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how much server space that would take up, so might be difficult resource wise early on. Free trials, like 7 days or something, might be a good option too, to allow people to see the game before buying.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Hello @stkmro,
    Thanks for your suggestion. It is still a long way to the final version of Fractured; right now we are focused into the development of the game, so is a little bit early to think about these kinds of things. Anyway, it is an excellent idea, and we will bear it in mind for the future!

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Once Fractured is done, I’m sure the gameplay will speak for itself haha. Considering it already does with what little is in currently.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

It is an intersting Idea, but I also think @Wolfmane´s suggestions sounds better (but prolly reduce the time) :
    "Free trials, like 7 days or something, might be a good option too, to allow people to see the game before buying.".

But do we really something like that? People can get a lot better insight about the game from content creators, then they will from playing the game for a few hours anyways.

Also... I don´t think this will help increase the funds for the game since... you know... 😄

@chrightt said in suggestion on attracting huge mass of new players to buy FracturedMMO:

If I were on that stupid planet and find my stuff wiped after 24hrs I would just say this game sucks and never open it again. Even assuming they're downloading a separate game for a "crappy" planet (how are they going to experience different things when people who want to PVP will just screw the guys trying to build houses? No PVP? Then the PVPers won't experience anything).

No offense but I absolutely hate demo versions, I never ever buy the actual game if they sink low enough to make a demo version.

i remember when things weren't "free" and it was pirate or get a demo to see if you liked it. this was well before youtube and twitch streaming nearly every game ever built.

I'm sure if there was a huge DEMO on the screen you'd understand it better. (this assume it isn't free)

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Feel like the people starting this type of discussion already are jumping the gun and making assumptions based conjecture.

The game is still extremely early in development. I'm sure the development team has the foresight to think of how to proceed in the case of attracting more players but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I'm all for a demo for players to try the game, to decide if they actually enjoy the game or not. Maybe they'll find an effective way to do it.

PoE is a free game that started as a crowdfunded pay to play test option only.

it's possible for Fractured to do the same, assuming gameplay is great.

You don't need a separate planet for that to work. Progress can be wiped for anyone including people playing on standard planets if they would play for free. 😉

But the main problem here isn't offering the demo to players. The main problem is that usually bots and gold sellers / spammers abuse the demo, to get in for free, then farm resources and send them to other player, before losing the ability to play (or getting banned). It is also abused for free spam.

This is why i prefer paywall always being before being able to start playing. It doesn't eliminate the problem, but it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces it.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@Gothix said in suggestion on attracting huge mass of new players to buy FracturedMMO:

But the main problem here isn't offering the demo to players. The main problem is that usually bots and gold sellers / spammers abuse the demo, to get in for free, then farm resources and send them to other player, before losing the ability to play (or getting banned). It is also abused for free spam.

This is why i prefer paywall always being before being able to start playing. It doesn't eliminate the problem, but it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces it.

These are good points.

@Gothix

but demo's are heavily restricted. if they offer no general chat, no trade then it'd curb most of the spam and 'free farm account'. IF the demo accounts were on normal planets then an icon on the nameplate would be needed so that the general public can know they can't speak in general chat nor trade. I'd even say limit PMs otherwise they'd become PM bots.

another restriction could be the number of demo keys available in a specific time frame. like 5000 per month or 500 per week.

it could be possible to place the demo accounts in their own instance of the planet.

I think the idea of a demo specific planet, while resource intensive (and therefore not something I think should be a priority), would be cool since it lets you actually test the game for yourself.

YouTube and streaming do well to show off the game and attract interest, but some people won't know if they actually like the gameplay until they actually play.

From what I remember, the entry price to Fractured upon actual release won't be too high, but a demo or some sort of "free" thing to get people trying the game won't be a terrible idea. I just think the resources needed shouldn't be put towards that yet.

@Gothix You are right.

But, in this case, if you make this demo available only on a separate "instance" of the game, without being able to trade with other players, you should avoid this kind of thing (for demo accounts).

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I think this could work with the caveat maybe that they could transfer their character progress over to a regular world if they buy the game

@Ametrys I agree. Demo world players would need to see something for the time they put in before they bought the game. Keeping buildings might be out of the question, but maybe they could hold onto some items and resources they've spent forever collecting.

just do what most mmos do and have free till level 12 (or free for 12 hours) with no shouting or trading, once you upgrade you keep all the work you do

I find this idea would be fun to try and get your guild or a group of friends just to see how much you could build in 24 hours before its wiped lol

@Xzoviac

would only work if there's a buy to play monetization.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured